Gtx 770 a game changer..

Looks like I'm getting a 4gb and water cooling it then sli later. Sounds like the best value in trends of raw power.

How do you figure this?  All the 770 is is a rebadged and overclocked 680 (there are some changes in power delivery to better handle the extra clock speed but that's it).  Honestly, the 7970 offers more power and more memory than the 770 along with unlocked voltages.  That's what I would get in this price range, provided I only wanted a single card...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

How do you figure this? All the 770 is is a rebadged and overclocked 680 (there are some changes in power delivery to better handle the extra clock speed but that's it). Honestly, the 7970 offers more power and more memory than the 770 along with unlocked voltages. That's what I would get in this price range, provided I only wanted a single card...

Actually, the GTX 770 like its bigger brothers has unlocked voltages. Not much though. A lot of reviewers are showing that it does beat the 7970 but not by much, around 2-4fps. In terms of value, the 7970 has a better one due to the game bundles but that is if your region has them since they are only available from participating retailers. As far as I know, it is not existant here in Asia, some European countries, and Australia (this one I'm not sure).

I haven't seen any reveiws of properly overclocked 7970's vs 770's tbh.  At max OC the 7970 should have no problem exceeding the 770...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Although i do want to stand by Nvidia's side as seeing early benchmarks can sometimes have unexpected results due to driver issues, the 770 doesn't look to be impressive at all by any stretch of my imagination.. Sure, it may outclass the 680 in terms of price/performance given it's $400 price tag, but like Anandtech pointed out, this card still only has 2GB of vram buffer, as opposed to the 7970 which is both faster, cheaper, comes with 3GB of vram AND a bundle of the hottest AAA games. AMD is still as viable as ever in the market imo

two 770 is what im doin

<p>i5 3570k @ 4.0, gtx 780 windforce edition sc, nh-d14, asrock extreme 4, corsair cx 600, corsair vengeance 8 gb, haf 932

You have more VRAM so you can play at higher resolutions and it will support newer games longer. 

What resolutions are we talking about? Even a 2GB card at 1440p isn't bottlenecked by its VRAM capacity.

What resolutions are we talking about? Even a 2GB card at 1440p isn't bottlenecked by its VRAM capacity.

Sure it is. I had a 2GB 680 @1440p and it definitely was limited by VRAM in Crysis 3. The game was so much better on a 4gb 670. On the 680 it felt sluggish like it was struggling to maintain frame rates. On the 670 it didn't suffer from that and maintained 99% usage.

I'm not sure there's many driver improvements to be seen in this card given it's similarity with the 680. Its essentially the same hardware, drivers have been worked on since the 680 came out.

2Gb just isn't enough for the 2nd highest GPU in the product stack, good job forcing people up to the 780. Plenty of games near on 2Gb at 1080p these days, more so at 1440p. The 2Gb really isn't very future proof, 1.5 years ago 1Gb of GDDR5 was the norm for the top end cards, look at what we have today..

4Gb isnt really that useful either with only a 256bit bus.

Sure it is. I had a 2GB 680 @1440p and it definitely was limited by VRAM in Crysis 3. The game was so much better on a 4gb 670. On the 680 it felt sluggish like it was struggling to maintain frame rates. On the 670 it didn't suffer from that and maintained 99% usage.

Can you prove it? Because other tests contradict your implication.

"1440p Very High 2xSMAA 1650MB. Didn't see it go any higher."

- overclock.net

Can you prove it? Because other tests contradict your implication.

Why do I need to prove anything? I'm going by what I experienced first hand. If a game goes over 2gb of VRAM and you only have 2GB what do you think happens? Surely you don't think the game runs normal.

Why do I need to prove anything? I'm going by what I experienced first hand. If a game goes over 2gb of VRAM and you only have 2GB what do you think happens? Surely you don't think the game runs normal.

A game on an HD 7870 using 2.0GB of Vram will not use 2.0GB of Vram on a GTX 770.  The memory speed and bandwidth greatly effect how much Vram needs to be used to render.  The faster the ram and the wider the bandwidth the faster it can render and the less textures need to be stored for processing.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

"1440p Very High 2xSMAA 1650MB. Didn't see it go any higher."

- overclock.net

Side note, 1080p Very high 8xMSAA 2,235MB, but then again why put MSAA @ 8X?

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

It's safe to say that the 770 and 7970 GHz edition are pretty much on par.  Either option is viable IMO.  Both have their pros and cons.

Here's some factors to consider when you're buying either
 -Do you like the games included in the 7970?  Buy the 7970.  

-Do you need the cuda cores? Buy the 770.
 -Are you doing a multi monitor set up?  Go with either (770 will have a 4gb version soon). 
 -770 uses less power, whereas the 7970 uses more.  
 -If you don't care about the games, either option is a great route and you will be satisfied with both 

Warning from what I've read from reviews:
*If you buy a 79x0 and refund it, most retailers will subtract the price of the games to the amount you paid for the graphics card.*

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

A game on an HD 7870 using 2.0GB of Vram will not use 2.0GB of Vram on a GTX 770. The memory speed and bandwidth greatly effect how much Vram needs to be used to render. The faster the ram and the wider the bandwidth the faster it can render and the less textures need to be stored for processing.

Well if the graphical horsepower isn't there you'll never use that much VRAM in the first place. I've seen more then 2GB VRAM usage on my 670 FTW+

But the game doesn't use more than 2GB of VRAM at 1440p according to the quote, so it would run "normally".

Side note, 1080p Very high 8xMSAA 2,235MB, but then again why put MSAA @ 8X?

A GTX 670 or 680 isn't going to run very well even if it had enough VRAM at those settings.

A GTX 670 or 680 isn't going to run very well even if it had enough VRAM at those settings.

Neither will a Titan or 780

But the game doesn't use more than 2GB of VRAM at 1440p according to the quote, so it would run "normally".

Plenty of games use more then 2GB of VRAM at 1440. Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 both do from recent games I've played.

Plenty of games use more then 2GB of VRAM at 1440. Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 both do from recent games I've played.

I was referring to Crysis 3 in this case. It'd be nice if you could show us rather than simply saying that it's true.

Is it worth it to sell GTX 680 to buy GTX 770? For 1080p

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Is it worth it to sell GTX 680 to buy GTX 770? For 1080p

Not that much. The gtx 770 is faster than your gtx 680 but it consumes more power. It isn't worth it, just oc your 680.

Or not... i am one of very few people that say that no graphic card today ( excluding the titan, 7990, 690 and the 780 ) is made for over 1080p resolutions in single card configuration, the gpu's can't really handle it, just look at Linuses video they all struggle with 1440p, Nvidia gets hit harder than AMD, but they are not that much apart, i mean AMD cards have 1 gig more and don't really have any better performance in DX 11 titles.

I mean who cares if AMD won a test at 1440p with 16 fps? i wonder how did Slick even finish his benchmark at 16 fps

Yes and no, go watch Tiny Tom Logan's review, you will see what linus means with his card did not boost well

Not to mention a lot of people say 7950 is a better choice than a 670, but i read a lot of reviews that say different, and i have another question, if the 7950 is performing so well, and that it can go to 7970 overclocked speeds, why bother buying a 7970, there is something i am missing here, not to mention Linuses 670 seems to be like really limited

If i read the table corect: his card should go from 915 mhz +200 that should mean he gets over 1150, more like 1180 overclock ( i get 1180 with 0.20 voltage increase, but he went higher ) on that card when the boost kicks in, but that's my problem i saw a lot of people go well over 1200 on the core with that card, so it might be that the his 670 is very limited.

One last thing, how all of a sudden is under 30 fps in a 1440p a passable score?

even if the 7950 can overclock to a standard 7970 you can still overclock that 7970 .. just saying