How good is BIOS fan control from the different brands?

Go to solution Solved by Queek,

Thank you for your input  ^_^

Too bad ASUS's cheapest SLI board is a bit more expensive here. Do you think they are worth it compared to similar boards from other brands?

I second the ASUS fan control (only the Z97 or X99 boards though).  You can specifically control when fans start up and what their speeds are based on a few different temperature sensors.  If you get a board with temperature sensor headers (to which you can attach sensor cables that you can put almost anywhere in your case), you can run the fans off of those temperatures too.  I think that's an ROG only feature, though I may be wrong.  

I've been very happy with my ASUS boards over the last few years, and I'd say they're worth it.  That's all a matter of opinion though, as some people frequently say that ASUS' products are overpriced, particularly the ROG boards.  

I am about to upgrade my CPU/Mobo but I haven't quite made my choice. Since I don't love SpeedFan (consumes boot time, until I get an SSD at least), I am considering how good the BIOS fan control is as a factor in my decision.

So, I am asking this awesome community for experiences with the motherboard you currently have, or had.

I am looking for an ATX Z97 board that supports SLI, but experiences from older chipsets might also help.

If you want to recommend a motherboard that would be nice, too.

I quite like Asus's, especially the fan curves in their new(ish) UEFI. I'd use that (or Fan Xpert because lol old motherboard) instead of Speedfan, but this way I can control them based on all temps, not just CPU.

I quite like Asus's, especially the fan curves in their new(ish) UEFI. I'd use that (or Fan Xpert because lol old motherboard) instead of Speedfan, but this way I can control them based on all temps, not just CPU.

Too bad ASUS's cheapest SLI board is a bit more expensive here. Do you think they are worth it compared to similar boards from other brands?

I second the ASUS fan control (only the Z97 or X99 boards though).  You can specifically control when fans start up and what their speeds are based on a few different temperature sensors.  If you get a board with temperature sensor headers (to which you can attach sensor cables that you can put almost anywhere in your case), you can run the fans off of those temperatures too.  I think that's an ROG only feature, though I may be wrong.  

I've been very happy with my ASUS boards over the last few years, and I'd say they're worth it.  That's all a matter of opinion though, as some people frequently say that ASUS' products are overpriced, particularly the ROG boards.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

The problem is that I am just short on money to buy an ASUS board (looking at Z97-A). I've got a deal that saves me ~$40, but it ends this month and I won't be able to get the money for an ASUS board with SLI together before that time.

Asus and MSI are great in that regard, gigabyte is to avoid.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The problem is that I am just short on money to buy an ASUS board (looking at Z97-A). I've got a deal that saves me ~$40, but it ends this month and I won't be able to get the money for an ASUS board with SLI together before that time.

Ok so my next question is: why SLI?

The general recommendation these days is to spend more on a better single card than multiple less powerful cards.  Are you trying to throw a new mobo/cpu under a current SLI setup or planning a new build?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Ok so my next question is: why SLI?

The general recommendation these days is to spend more on a better single card than multiple less powerful cards.  Are you trying to throw a new mobo/cpu under a current SLI setup or planning a new build?

I have a single GTX 770 right now. I am (maybe was) planning to buy a second one later, but it might take me a while (realistically like 1.5 years) to get the money together. I want to buy an SSD first.

Not sure if they will even be available by that time, so you may be right not recommend an SLI board.

Thanks for giving your thoughts.

Asus and MSI are great in that regard, gigabyte is to avoid.

And why is that? I thought I saw they had some kind of fan control.

I have a single GTX 770 right now. I am (maybe was) planning to buy a second one later, but it might take me a while (realistically like 1.5 years) to get the money together. I want to buy an SSD first.

Not sure if they will even be available by that time, so you may be right not recommend an SLI board.

Thanks for giving your thoughts.

In your case (especially as it will be 1.5 years away) getting a non-SLI board is probably a better option, then buying a newer better card and selling your old one (ex. the 900 series should be out by then, so 780's and 780ti's will probably be the price that 770's are right now or even less expensive).  

Make sure that whatever board you get has in-bios fan tweaking.  I know the higher end boards have it, and I'm pretty sure that all the ASUS Z97 boards have it, but it would be a good idea to double check.  

In your case (especially as it will be 1.5 years away) getting a non-SLI board is probably a better option, then buying a newer better card and selling your old one (ex. the 900 series should be out by then, so 780's and 780ti's will probably be the price that 770's are right now or even less expensive).

Make sure that whatever board you get has in-bios fan tweaking. I know the higher end boards have it, and I'm pretty sure that all the ASUS Z97 boards have it, but it would be a good idea to double check.

I think I'll be going for a non-SLI board, probably ASUS. I'm thinking of the Z97-K right now.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion. It really helped me make my decision.