GTX 780 on PCIE 2.0

WhyChuchie

Hey guys,

I am wondering if I will experience a bottle neck.

Current System Specs:

i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz

Asus maximus IV extreme

16gb vengeance ram

GTX 680

If i get a GTX 780 will my CPU or PCIE 2.0 lanes hold me back?

Would it be better if I upgrade my CPU & Motherboard first to get full access to  PCIE 3.0?

How much of a performance decrease would there be if any at all?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks guys.

Great question, actually wondering the same thing!

Well... Short answer is no not really.

Although pci gen 2 16x is half that of gen 3 16x, no GPU ever really maxes out the bandwidth of a pci 3 16x.

There will be some performance effect due to lower bandwidth but it won't be much, maybe a very few frames when gaming

Currently, graphics cards don't take much advantage of PCI-e 3.0 and the performance difference between PCI-e 2.0 is marginal. You CPU is overclocked at 4.6GHz so I wouldn't worry about that as well.

Relieved to hear that, I've currently got an i5 2500k running at 4.5Ghz so i guess i'm in the same boat?

what about me?

im running a 2600 non-k @ 3.4mHz

The 2600 (non-K) runs at 3.4MHz and boosts to 3.8GHz it will have some bottleneck. How much, I can't really say but if I were to make a guess, may be around an 7% performance hit.

Everything always has a bottleneck on another, the bottleneck on a 780 in PCIE 2.0 shouldn't be that bad I'm thinking 10% hit, all depends and would love to see what it looks like. Why would you put in on PCIE 2.0?

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

From his post, He wants to update to a 780 but his Mobo and CPU don't support PCIE 3.0, Therefor wanting to know if it's worth also upgrading them along with the GPU

Everything always has a bottleneck on another, the bottleneck on a 780 in PCIE 2.0 shouldn't be that bad I'm thinking 10% hit, all depends and would love to see what it looks like. Why would you put in on PCIE 2.0?

Actually, as long as the PCI-e 2.0 is running at x16 or at the very least x8, the performance difference compared to PCI-e 3.0 is marginal. Graphics cards have yet to even use much of the bandwidth PCI-e 3.0 provides.

This test shows that there's barely a difference in performance: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/#.UaeLE0Awc4q

From his post, He wants to update to a 780 but his Mobo and CPU don't support PCIE 3.0, Therefor wanting to know if it's worth also upgrading them along with the GPU

The 2600K or 2500K are still pretty viable CPU's for gaming and bottlenecks can be greatly reduced by overclocking.

and still makes sense to people who continue to build new AMD rigs, with M5A97 EVO R2.0?
they are not buying something that in the near future will be already bottlenecked ? 

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

No it wont. The jump from PCI-e 2 to 3 was mainly an increase in bandwidth for multi-GPU setups. (Increase in data transfers) PCI-e 3 @ 4x is equal to PCI-e 3 @ 8x.

The performance difference is abotu nothing. 3fps would be the max difference(2fps is the biggest ive seen so far on a gtx690)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

What all of the above says. Although every GPU-box in history brags about being PCI 3 compatible it really doesn't make a difference in the practical world. I'm running a 670 on a Z68 MB with PCI 2.0 and it gets just as good frames as on a Z77 or X79 chipset.

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

• 1 month later...

lo  WhyChuchie

My system is nrly same as yours ..

i7 2600K @ 5ghz

Asus maximus IV extreme

8gb gskill ram

GTX 580 --> too gtx780

Its hard to tell tho i think im experiencing bottle neck, tho i got a feeling its to do with my ram ,,1600mhz @ 8.8.8.24 (had to lower timeings a little for the oc). I rekon 1866 would be better for me.

How do i know the system is bottle neckin? tbh im not 100% shure but in eg battlefield3 or some benchmarks the power + fps on the gpu drops as if it is not geting cpu commands fast enough at complex parts of the game or bench wen it should be working hard. Only had the card a week now and doing some testing and tryin to figure things out.

The general consensus on the forum is that the 2600K should be grand esp if overclocked, so thats why i think its the ram (i hope coz i love my 2600k + mobo)

I cant blame it on enything else, psu is coolermaster silent pro 700 watt thats plenty.

Maybe im worrying too much as all of the benchmarks scores are way past where they should be, gotta love overclocking!