i7 3820 X79 Running At 4.5Ghz On Stock Voltage?

So I've had my 3820 for about three years now and thought about trying to overclock a little to see what it's thermal limit might be, little did I know that it would be a pretty damn amazing overclocker. After doing some testing I found that I could take it to the maximum 4.3Ghz ratio on stock voltage without any dramas, but then I tried 4.5Ghz and was amazed that it was then running stable and still is at the stock 1.215/1.225 voltage with 0 calculations errors or thermal throttling on prime 95 for over 4 hours. Temperatures are also great with idle temps around 35-40C, and maximum temps around 65-70C with around 20C ambient room temperature.  

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Setup consists of:

Asrock Extreme 3 X79 Mobo

i7 3820 CPU

Corsair H100i Cooler - With Noctua NF-F12's

Corsair RM 650 Watt

Kingston Ram 1333

Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition

Nanoxia Silent Mid Tower

post-124398-0-04200700-1410098483.png 

24 hour test please. If it works you must blow your money on a beast water cooling setup and get that godly chip to 5.5+.

I'll do a 24 hour for sure, I just can't believe how badass of a chip it is.

How did you overclock a locked processor? Last time I heard, the 3820 was locked 4 core.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

How did you overclock a locked processor? Last time I heard, the 3820 was locked 4 core.

Bus Speed @ 125mhz instead of 100Mhz doing this?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

you can still overclock a locked by using the STRAP/BLK method. the 3820 is a limited

CPU (max multi ability 43 multi) but not locked.

note  the bus speed is 125 and multi is 36.

you can still overclock a locked by using the STRAP/BLK method. the 3820 is a limited

CPU (max multi ability 43 multi) but not locked.

note  the bus speed is 125 and multi is 36.

Oh ok. But still confuses me. I overclock, but just not using the STRAP/BLK method.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh ok. But still confuses me. I overclock, but just not using the STRAP/BLK method.

Since the STRAP/BLK on the 3820 is basically unlocked it's not too different to just bumping the CPU Ratio up.  

the 3820 is a special beast, it has a limited multiplier of 43 and to extend past

4.3GHz, you have to use the STRAP/BLK method to get to a higher OC

frequency. this can also be achieved on locked processors as well, depending on

stability of the PCIe and devices using those higher BLK speeds.

Since the STRAP/BLK on the 3820 is basically unlocked it's not too different to just bumping the CPU Ratio up.  

Oh, Ok.

So I've had my 3820 for about three years now and thought about trying to overclock a little to see what it's thermal limit might be, little did I know that it would be a pretty damn amazing overclocker. After doing some testing I found that I could take it to the maximum 4.3Ghz ratio on stock voltage without any dramas, but then I tried 4.5Ghz and was amazed that it was then running stable and still is at the stock 1.215/1.225 voltage with 0 calculations errors or thermal throttling on prime 95 for over 4 hours. Temperatures are also great with idle temps around 35-40C, and maximum temps around 65-70C with around 20C ambient room temperature.  

Setup consists of:

i7 3820 CPU

Corsair RM 650 Watt

Kingston Ram 1333

Nanoxia Silent Mid Tower

attachicon.gifCPU-Z.png

1.22v is very high for stock voltage. its not bad for 4.5ghz though.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

24 hour test please. If it works you must blow your money on a beast water cooling setup and get that godly chip to 5.5+.

Setup consists of:

i7 3820 CPU

Corsair RM 650 Watt

Kingston Ram 1333

Nanoxia Silent Mid Tower

attachicon.gifCPU-Z.png

Well after further testing I found that 4.5Ghz ran pretty damn stable at 1.256 volts, only 0.455 higher than the stock voltage my Mobo set, with the same idle and maximum temps I reported the first time round. Maybe in future when I can afford godly water cooling I'll take it to the 5Ghz range

2zf3dba.png