Lower-end desktop CPUs won’t get Broadwell, will need to wait for Skylake

Rafy

So Broadwell is coming up soon but this little bit of news trickled out in the past few hours. Apparently Intel is NOT going to be refreshing the whole desktop linup with the new Broadwell chips,

During the Core-M press briefing Intel dropped an interesting little piece of news. We already knew that we are only getting the lower power Core-M chips this year with the higher power ones coming Q1 and Q2 2015 but apparently Intel is only going to be releasing the higher-end CPUs in the Broadwell architecture.

"It won't be a full stack with Broadwell on desktop," an Intel representative told us. "You know like, from Pentiums, Celerons all the way up to i7s."

"You'll have to wait for Skylake [broadwell's successor] before you get a full refresh of our desktop lineup," another added.

So looks like the lower end CPUs will stick with the Haswell architecture instead of  Broadwell and we will have to wait until Skylake for them to be refreshed along with the rest of the lineup.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/lower-end-desktop-cpus-wont-get-broadwell-will-need-to-wait-for-skylake/

Doesn't surprise me as things suggest they will co-exist

Care to elaborate? I've not heard this but I'm ill-informed when it comes to Intel's future products.

This doesn't surprise me because I doubt they sell loads of lower-end CPUs (Pentium/Celeron) and there's hardly any gain per generation or architecture because of these CPUs being lower-end. At least if all goes well, we'd see better products being delivered and less waste from Intel. I think it's ok but this just means AMD can get a heavier hand on the entry-level PC market.

It's not like it will be that much of a performance improvement anyway - it's just a die shrink after all.

I suppose those people with Z97 boards won't have much to choose from when desktop Broadwell is released.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Care to elaborate? I've not heard this but I'm ill-informed when it comes to Intel's future products.

This doesn't surprise me because I doubt they sell loads of lower-end CPUs (Pentium/Celeron) and there's hardly any gain per generation or architecture because of these CPUs being lower-end. At least if all goes well, we'd see better products being delivered and less waste from Intel. I think it's ok but this just means AMD can get a heavier hand on the entry-level PC market.

Well Broadwell was supposed to come out June/July time but as you have probably heard it has been pushed back to either very late 2014 or Q1 2015. As Skylake is supposed to come out Q2 2015 odds are it will co-exist.

So we'll have Broadwell on LGA1150 for current Z97 owners with DDR3 then it looks like Skylake will be on Z107(or whatever).

See this roadmap:

intel_broadwell_skylake-1024x514.png

The final row shows broadwell and skylake co-existing.

Low end Intel sales are huge, that's where most of the OEM market is, however mostly laptop SKUs will be the bulk of the sales. AMD struggle to get a foothold in the market because of the "magic intel effect". A lot of people prefer Intel machines (I work in a shop that sells machines and can kind of validate this) and feel more 'confident' spending £400 on something with an Intel sticker on the front even if they don't know why. (Intel's "Intel inside" marketing campaign is genius).

I think that Intel is pushing a little too hard. There isn't enough spread between all these chips because nothing is cpu bound yet. With Broadwell that's 4 gens from Sandy Bridge and yet if you're still on SB it's not worth your while to upgrade. Intel has to start poking MS to use up more processing cycles. Win 9 perhaps?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!