SSD for a gaming rig

atlasgamer777

All I want to know is if a SSD will affect my in game performance? Is a SSD worth the extra money? should I put that money elsewhere on a new build?

It will shorten you load times but will not give you an fps boost. I recently moved my steam library to a USB 2 HDD from an ssd and have not experienced any loss in game fps.

It will decrease loading times for games, depending on your budget for a build, you can decide to put one or not, if your on a tight budget then don't get a ssd and use the money somewhere else. Save up for a ssd later. 

but oh those faster boot times :D

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Intel 7 series

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

Your whole computing expierence will be better wuth an SSD, once u go SSD you cant ever go back to HDD

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

long story short to the oldest question ever

You will see no FPS improvement.  Improvement in an SSD is pretty much hidden in the numbers and provides little tangible effect but is actually quite beneficial to all tasks including gaming. 

If youre on a budget just get a high performance hard drive like a WD black and you'll be just fine.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

or small SSD for OS and small apps, and a 1TB HDD

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

this shouldnt be a question in the year 2014, obviously YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS go with an ssd with a large hdd for less important files and games

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

you all gave good answers. i don't care about boot time for the computer. if i were to go with an ssd i was gonna use a crucial 120gb. the problem is that the 79 dollars that it costs isn't enough to upgrade another item.

ok, then use the money else where?

the only part that i need an upgrade in is my cpu but the 79 dollar jump isn't enough to get the lowest level i7. im just gonna go with the ssd thanks for the help! another question that i was having though. would a corsair h80i be enough to cool an i5 4690k(not gonna overclock...much)

yes lol

if your not OC'n then dont get the 'K' and buy a cheaper cooler

but oh those faster boot times :D

Going from 40+ seconds from pressing power button to desktop now only 11 seconds. Oh how wonderful it is. Anyway at OP, BF3 for me use to take nearly 2 whole mins to load a map, all vehicles already taken and match underway. When I loaded the game to my SSD it took under 7 seconds and was always the first or 2nd person loaded in the map.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932