Minecraft’s CraftBukkit mod taken down by DMCA claim

Anthony10

-snip

Uh, what do you mean by something big is coming? 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Resignations. Note the time both things were posted.

huh, thanks for posting so quickly.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Can someone please copyright the term 'copyright infringement' so that it cannot be used anymore? Thanks.

Your avatar makes everything you say cooler.

@Jade I know nothing about Minecraft so please forgive my ignorant questions, if you were staff on this project does that mean you just resigned from you job/some people need new jobs now?

Also, if 70% of MC servers use Bukkit and now it's not going to be updated anymore what does that mean for those servers? They just continue running the current version and are not able to be updated to the new version of the game or what?

Spigot will be taken down too since it's using the code from craftbukkit, was working on the server, was done yesterday, and Mojang decides to fuck us all...

Well I haven't got problem with that.

MD_5 said: I wish to make clear this is not the end for Spigot. We will keep on developing and we will keep on fighting. It is only a short matter of time before things will be sorted out. The Minecraft server community has not come this far over this many years to be killed by a single blow from a disgruntled developer.

It is with a heavy heart this morning that I announce that in response to the DMCA takedown notices issued by Wesley Wolfe (Wolvereness), a current [Craft]Bukkit developer, that we have removed downloads to Spigot from our public Jenkins build server located at http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot. Additionally access to the Spigot source code repository (formerly located at https://github.com/SpigotMC/) has been forcibly removed from GitHub following a similar DMCA takedown.

This decision is not one that has been made lightly, but is one which has been made based on a number of factors. Following extensive legal counsel and advice from our attorney we were presented with a number of options we could take, including issuing a series of DMCA counter notices which had been prepared. This morning an assembly of the extended Spigot team, including our forum moderators, developers and IRC staff took part in a vote to decide the appropriate course of action. I abstained from this vote, however the outcome was unanimous and we have decided not to issue this counter notice, and instead take down the allegedly infringing material. It is by taking these steps, we believe, that the Spigot project stands the best chance of continuing to operate long into the future.

Fighting a legal battle is all about risk, and no matter how solid we or our legal counsel believe our case to be, there is always the element of risk. A copyright lawsuit within the United States of America must be conducted within a Federal District Court, an activity which results in the potential for extreme risk and expense to all parties involved. A number of factors have gone into play here, and ultimately we have decided that if we wish to resume business as usual, this could indeed prove extremely counter productive to our cause.

If there is one thing which has been observed by server owners and players alike, it is that the game which we all love, Minecraft, is best played with others and best played with friends. To this end, we have been in contact with Mojang, whose copyrighted material Mr Wolfe alleges is infringed upon, and they have come to the conclusion that these “allegations are therefore wholly unfounded”, and furthermore “we [Mojang] do not support people asserting rights which they do not have, against us or others”. This is a sentiment which you can find publicly expressed in the following statement by Vu Bui, the Chief Operating Officer of Mojang AB: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mojang-and-the-bukkit-project.309715/.

Ultimately it is not just ourselves who are affected by this disappointing behaviour from Mr Wolfe, but also the other developers who have poured their heart and soul into these projects, the server owners who have built their livelihoods around them, the hundreds of thousands of players who enjoy our work every single day, and of course Mojang, the company which created this game. It is clear that Mojang believes Mr Wolfe “has mischaracterized and misrepresented the[ir] position”, and in the hope that they do what is right, for them and the greater community, we call upon them, and offer our full support in battling these claims.

In the last few days we have been busier than ever in order to provide our full transparency into these matters, and coordinate with legal counsel all over the globe to give ourselves the best shot at winning this. For the support which you have provided as a community, I personally, and the whole staff team, are truly grateful for. I would like to give special thanks to all those who have donated to our legal fund, much of it has been put to good use already. We have taken all donations received within the last two days, matched every dollar donated with fifty cents from our savings, and deposited it into our newly established legal fund. This money will be used solely for legal matters, and we see it as being sufficient to guide us through the uncertain times ahead.

Obviously with the removal of many of our resources, there is going to be all sorts of stuff floating around on the internet. As such we would like to provide some verification of several crucial items provided by our project in the hopes that server owners will be safe, should they manage to find alternate download sources.

So, is minecraft killing off the modders or what?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

@Jade I know nothing about Minecraft so please forgive my ignorant questions, if you were staff on this project does that mean you just resigned from you job/some people need new jobs now?

Also, if 70% of MC servers use Bukkit and now it's not going to be updated anymore what does that mean for those servers? They just continue running the current version and are not able to be updated to the new version of the game or what?

Yes, pretty much. But I doubt there are volunteers around that will still be as dedicated as we were. We didn't do this for selfish reasons, I promise.

Those servers continue on using the same versions, no updated plugins (lack of DBO staff, too.) and will have to find some other software, update it on their own, or shutdown.

What do you think this means for multiplayer Minecraft? I personally can't stand to play single player, so I really only ever play SMP...

Excuse the language, but fucking RIP.

Well I did find this... maybe Mojang bought bukkit, do you think they well stop producing vanilla servers and only support bukkit servers instead?

http://hypixel.net/threads/whats-going-on-with-bukkit-explained.174441/

EDIT: and this too:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/7640-bukkit-officially-joins-mojang

Old news, yes, but maybe there is something bigger goings on here that we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I really hope that this doesn't kill MC once and for all, but it may. 

https://gist.github.com/evilmidget38/26a8097cba2d69d4884d

Look I got a special banner thingie

yOx4.png

Well, shit.

Trust me, I do know what I'm talking about. They don't have intentions of keeping it alive. To quote someone from those who left: "It's like trying to keep a coma patient alive after 2 years of continuous issues."

Excuse the language, but fucking RIP.

8ba6729f7ebbe6bc9e6ed2b0e5dbae095e76084e

Voices here meaning the swath of constant MC players (usually people between the ages of 10 and 16 who actually have time to constantly play MC). I can imagine the rage. 

Well, I enjoyed it while I played it. On to Cube World & other Voxel based survival games.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.