Minecraft’s CraftBukkit mod taken down by DMCA claim

Anthony10

Source: http://games.on.net/2014/09/minecrafts-craftbukkit-mod-taken-down-by-dmca-claim/

Remember a fortnight ago how there was all that confusion over a developer who tried to shut down the development of the Bukkit project for Minecraft, only to discover that he didn’t have the rights to own the project and that everything was fine and dandy? Well, as it turns out this week, the waters are still more than unsettled.

First off, the basics: CraftBukkit is a Minecraft plugin that’s been floating around for the last few years, giving vastly more power to admins over their servers and enabling a range of highly popular features. It began as an open-source project by four members and quickly grew into a huge community venture.

After about a year, Mojang began the process of acquiring Bukkit and in doing so, also hired some of the project’s main programmers for itself. Earlier this year, the team working on Bukkit opted to discontinue development, which led to the confusion and revelations ago two weeks ago about who actually owned the project.

From there, things get a little murky. It’s suggested that the project team was unable to reach an agreement with Mojang about the changes to Minecraft’s EULA and from there, Wesley “wolvereness” Wolfe, one of the Bukkit admins, filed a DMCA claim, resulting in the mod being taken down.

The DMCA claim states that CraftBukkit uses code of Wolfe’s and because of Mojang’s intention to not permit “the inclusion of any of its proprietary Minecraft software … within the Bukkit project to be included in or made subject to any GPL or LGPL licence”, the mod is in violation of its own original GPL/LGPL licence.

That’s my general understanding, at least, which could be entirely inaccurate. But then again, it’s all a little convoluted. If you want to follow the e-drama in greater detail, you’re best off giving the Reddit and Bukkit threads in greater detail. Just note that the latter is 23 pages long and the rabbit hole is more than a little deep.

Well shit... this will effect like 75% of public minecraft servers, as craftbukkit is used in almost every public minecraft server....

CraftBukkit too?

Oh damn.

Mojang wants even MORE money now?

Also,is this game still alive?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Considering notch said Mojang could survive for the next ~10+ years without making a dime makes this disgusting. Mojang = next EA?

Mojang probably wants everyone to rent from their servers that they host. Well played you slimy executives...

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Spoopy. For those who don't know already, it's not Mojang. 

Source: Hi I'm Bukkit staff

Firstly, this is awesome (your posting here).

Secondly, what's not Mojang? The ones causing the issues? The ones acquiring/acquired Bukkit? Sorry. Just confused. Also, spoopy?

I knew LTT would become popular enough for staff from popular places to frequent here. Yay.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Considering notch said Mojang could survive for the next ~10+ years without making a dime makes this disgusting. Mojang = next EA?

Mojang probably wants everyone to rent from their servers that they host. Well played you slimy executives...

from what i understand from the article is not all mojang fault, the DMCA claim was made by one if its members because it violates its own GPL license due to recent changes to minecraft EULA, you could say its their fault because of that but doesn't seem to be the case

@Jade if your indeed staff of the project can you explain more about this problem?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

CraftBukkit too?

Oh damn.

Mojang wants even MORE money now?

Also,is this game still alive?

Well it wont be alive much longer... with mojang keep shooting themselves in the foot

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

from what i understand from the article is not all mojang fault, the DMCA claim was made by one if its members because it violates its own GPL license due to recent changes to minecraft EULA, you could say its their fault because of that but doesn't seem to be the case

@Jade if your indeed staff of the project can you explain more about this problem?

Sure thing. Will do it when I get home. Will also be posting a tutorial to host a custom puush proxy because someone wanted it.

Firstly, this is awesome (your posting here).

Secondly, what's not Mojang? The ones causing the issues? The ones acquiring/acquired Bukkit? Sorry. Just confused. Also, spoopy?

I knew LTT would become popular enough for staff from popular places to frequent here. Yay.

I'm hardly special. But yes, I am here quite a bit. Mojang isn't the one starting *this* shitfest. This one was started by an ex-developer (Wolvereness.) who has copyright over his patches and contributions to Bukkit + Bukkit-Bleeding. I don't blame him, necessarily, but that's opinion. I hope I can clear it up a bit more when I post again.

edit

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Everything in this post is from my opinion and no other's. Take any information with a grain of salt. Proof for those in doubt. (Note the administrative buttons + being able to see I'm invisible.)

ivF3.png

Now, to address the actual questions.

I don't know much about EULA sooo....

First thing that happened, is EvilSeph believed that the project was no longer capable of continuing to be updated and maintained, as volunteers were dwindling and it isn't particularly easy to find and pick out skilled developers capable of creating a usable and effective API. As time went on, the volunteers dwindled. For a while Mojang was providing mappings to the team to help speed up the updating process (note: they have to deobfuscate and rewrite everything into an api), but they stopped providing them, saying "We want you to work with the opensource community." (forge, etc.) Allegedly, Dinnerbone will be updating Bukkit to 1.8, however for him to do that, the issues with Wolvereness need to be settled first, due to the l/GPL license.

The DMCAs issued to Spigot and Bukkit were by ex-Bukkit developer, Wolvereness, forcing them to remove their files. Spigot was preparing a counter notice to Wolvereness' DMCA request however not too long ago (within an hour of posting this), they took down their builds. Wolvereness has not publicly released his reasoning, so that's left to speculation. That said, I personally support his actions and believe they're justified, considering Mojang has treated the community like ass for a long time, and only want to help Bukkit when their primary moneymaker (Bukkit still accounts for 70+% of servers!) is about to die. 

Wiling to answer any questions in specific to the best of my ability, if anyone has any.

PS. Something big is coming.

Tagging @Anthony10, @Nineshadow, @Vitalius, @AlexGoesHigh

Wiling to answer any questions in specific to the best of my ability, if anyone has any.

PS. Something big is coming.

so what really happened to bukkit then? did mojang acquire it? have they owned it all along? also are they doing a mod api? do you actually thing bukkit will be moved to 1.8?

With a game like this coming out, minecraft is irrelevant

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why is Mojang still alive? Seriously they have not made shit in 3 years other than re-releasing Minecraft. I guess their costs are absurdly low.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'm glad I never got into Minecraft, saves me this drama.

If you play games you're always going to encounter drama not being in to one in particular doesn't make a difference.

If you play games you're always going to encounter drama not being in to one in particular doesn't make a difference.

Not true for single player games: If I can opt out of stupid crap like this it's fine but when online servers and such are involved then yes there's always drama

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not true for single player games: If I can opt out of stupid crap like this it's fine but when online servers and such are involved then yes there's always drama

This is why you only play with friends. I still like Minecraft for rushing to the end-boss-dragon-thing on a weekend but avoid all this garbage.

Who am I kidding I don't have any friends.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I always read your posts in Early's voice.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I always read your posts in Early's voice.

-snip

Lol my picture used to be Dale Gribble. I can't decide who I like more, early or dale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8_5jbBkj3E

You can't even play that until 2015 without paying $95USD+, its also listed as an MMO, and the system requirements are quite a bit higher than Minecraft.

Minecraft also has a large amount of mods already, even if they plan on adding mod support to Oort it will take a while to see even close to the amount of mods minecraft has.

Why is Mojang still alive? Seriously they have not made shit in 3 years other than re-releasing Minecraft. I guess their costs are absurdly low.

It's a mix of things, the popularity of Minecraft and the merchandise that followed, a large modding community helps as well, minecraft alone got boring for me quick but with a good mod pack the game is a lot of fun.

You can't even play that until 2015 without paying $95USD+, its also listed as an MMO, and the system requirements are quite a bit higher than Minecraft.

Minecraft also has a large amount of mods already, even if they plan on adding mod support to Oort it will take a while to see even close to the amount of mods minecraft has.

It's a mix of things, the popularity of Minecraft and the merchandise that followed, a large modding community helps as well, minecraft alone got boring for me quick but with a good mod pack the game is a lot of fun.

It looks better, has more to do built in, and minecraft is slowly phasing out mods aren't they?

Spoopy. For those who don't know already, it's not Mojang. 

Source: Hi I'm Bukkit staff

WAT, I did not know this. Good to know that we have a fellow bukkit dev being part of the community, Cheers!

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

It looks better, has more to do built in, and minecraft is slowly phasing out mods aren't they?

Not really, I use about 80? and thats a not even close to a "large" mod pack, I use mostly magic mods (Thaumcraft 4, Ars Magica, things like that), theres also tech mods and such, and theres alot of WIP/Beta mods that are looking great.