Intel's 14nm chips.

Tytla

well ive told you that intels new broadwell M is 4.5w and snapdragon is 2-4W and the argument still carried on.

Why risc tho? im not that advanced when it comes to programming, and dont exactly understand the difference between the philosophies when it comes to the code itself. (tho i mainly code arduino and rpi, rarely x86)

One of my coworkers is a Certified Atmel Assembly Language Developer, so I have a fair amount of experience with Atmel's stuff (Arduino) too.

The argument did carry on, but I stopped arguing about TDP and brought up other points. That's how debate works. You argue point by point, losing and winning each one until you can defeat your opponent. But I'm not in the mood for debate anymore.

RISC provides the programmer with a clearer view of what each instruction does, because theoretically a pure RISC processor only executes one operation per instruction. As has been pointed out before, this is no longer the case with ARM, however it is still much closer to RISC than an Intel processor is.

On an architecture level, RISC designs allow for easier pipelining and theoretically higher single-clock throughputs at greater frequencies.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

One of my coworkers is a Certified Atmel Assembly Language Developer, so I have a fair amount of experience with Atmel's stuff (Arduino) too.

The argument did carry on, but I stopped arguing about TDP and brought up other points. That's how debate works. You argue point by point, losing and winning each one until you can defeat your opponent. But I'm not in the mood for debate anymore.

RISC provides the programmer with a clearer view of what each instruction does, because theoretically a pure RISC processor only executes one operation per instruction. As has been pointed out before, this is no longer the case with ARM, however it is still much closer to RISC than an Intel processor is.

On an architecture level, RISC designs allow for easier pipelining and theoretically higher single-clock throughputs at greater frequencies.

interesting. and how does this translate into coding practice?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

interesting. and how does this translate into coding practice?

It's not fundamentally different like the difference between a functional and OOP language, but (and this is totally subjective) ARM assembly is prettier to me, almost beautiful in an ohmigodthisisnativecode way. It has a rugged feel to it, but it feels very mechanical and structured, (obviously) however ARM assembly showed me that structured, mechanical languages can also be designed well. It's sort of hard to explain, and I'm not great at explaining subjective things to boot, so I suggest:

http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/asm.htm

as a good place to start.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's not fundamentally different like the difference between a functional and OOP language, but (and this is totally subjective) ARM assembly is prettier to me, almost beautiful in an ohmigodthisisnativecode way. It has a rugged feel to it, but it feels very mechanical and structured, (obviously) however ARM assembly showed me that structured, mechanical languages can also be designed well. It's sort of hard to explain, and I'm not great at explaining subjective things to boot, so I suggest:

http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/asm.htm

as a good place to start.

booked :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

You're a masters student that's wealthy? Jeez, did Intel give you a paid internship or something? ;)

And yes, that's the word I was looking for. Abstraction. Systems are becoming homogeneous in an abstracted sense, however on a lower level they are becoming more heterogeneous as parts become more specialized.

That's not really screwing you over, it's just your impatience :) However in the future The MacRumors Buyer's Guide will in general tell you when it's safe to buy an Apple product and when you should wait for the refresh. 

Also I need to keep you around as an example of a power user who likes Macs, just in case I need to defend myself in an argument. Out of curiosity, do you run OS X, Linux, one of the free BSDs, or Windows?

My family is wealthy, but I did get a full ride, which in the U.S. leaves me with money to spare.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

leaves me with money to spare.

Maybe at Miami University. Not at MIT or Stanford though, nor UC Berkeley, which are my top three choices.

Ambitious, I realize, but I always have UMass for compsci or EE if I don't get into any of those.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You're a masters student that's wealthy? Jeez, did Intel give you a paid internship or something? ;)

And yes, that's the word I was looking for. Abstraction. Systems are becoming homogeneous in an abstracted sense, however on a lower level they are becoming more heterogeneous as parts become more specialized.

That's not really screwing you over, it's just your impatience :) However in the future The MacRumors Buyer's Guide will in general tell you when it's safe to buy an Apple product and when you should wait for the refresh. 

Also I need to keep you around as an example of a power user who likes Macs, just in case I need to defend myself in an argument. Out of curiosity, do you run OS X, Linux, one of the free BSDs, or Windows?

I triple boot on my Mac. I had to buy Mac OS for my augmented Reality research because the previous student wrote everything for the iPad and I have to build the other half of it (hue perception was his job, and brightness perception is mine). Also, my old Dell Latitude had that sucky 1366x768 resolution which made window management a freaking nightmare. I wasn't impatient. I had to buy through my school's program because of their security structure, and it was the final week before I would head back to my home state, and the computer needed to be ready to go the day I got back. I just got screwed. And isn't MacRumors wrong about 50% of the time?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Maybe at Miami University. Not at MIT or Stanford though, nor UC Berkeley, which are my top three choices.

Ambitious, I realize, but I always have UMass for compsci or EE if I don't get into any of those.

What about Carnegie Melon, Purdue, or Rochester Institue of Tech?

Undergrad degrees are generally equally valuable to an employer, though MIT carries some extra weight. It's what you can do in the practical interview that really counts (yay Amazon internship!)

I triple boot on my Mac. I had to buy Mac OS for my augmented Reality research because the previous student wrote everything for the iPad and I have to build the other half of it (hue perception was his job, and brightness perception is mine). Also, my old Dell Latitude had that sucky 1366x768 resolution which made window management a freaking nightmare. I wasn't impatient. I had to buy through my school's program because of their security structure, and it was the final week before I would head back to my home state, and the computer needed to be ready to go the day I got back. I just got screwed. And isn't MacRumors wrong about 50% of the time?

So you got screwed more by the school than by Apple, no? People were foreshadowing the MacBooks at least around a week and a half in advance.

MacRumors is pretty reliable about around when products will be announced, (at least current products, can't speak for any purported iWearable) just not exactly what they will contain.

What about Carnegie Melon or Purdue?

Carnegie Melon is a maybe, but I can't have too many schools with below 30% (20%?) acceptance. I'm not a genius or anything, though I do like to think of myself as well rounded and fairly intelligent. (don't we all? :))

I'm also hoping for WPI, which is actually a really great school. They have a robotics engineering major, and a hands on project-based approach to teaching. Navigating colleges in the US is a real mess.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah, x86 assembly is FUGLY, especially when SIMD gets involved. Like I said ARM starting a new ISA from the ground up and more intelligently allocating registers (I could use a couple more though >.>) has been good for the industry and the world of academia. At some point ARM may very well take over if it can continue to scale performance at the rates it has while not adding much power, and of course Intel will bring all of its old tech like its branch prediction with it and jump on the ARM train.

So you got screwed more by the school than by Apple, no? People were foreshadowing the MacBooks at least around a week and a half in advance.

MacRumors is pretty reliable about around when products will be announced, (at least current products, can't speak for any purported iWearable) just not exactly what they will contain.

Carnegie Melon is a maybe, but I can't have too many schools with below 30% (20%?) acceptance. I'm not a genius or anything, though I do like to think of myself as well rounded and fairly intelligent. (don't we all? :))

I'm also hoping for WPI, which is actually a really great school. They have a robotics engineering major, and a hands on project-based approach to teaching. Navigating colleges in the US is a real mess.

I got a partial scholarship to Carnegie Melon (and Cambridge in the UK) even though my high school GPA was only 3.5 (I was lazy when I wasn't challenged, so homework fell by the wayside even though I never got less than a B on any test in any subject). I did get a 33 on the ACT though. 

The school wouldn't have screwed me over if I could have put in a funding request for a product due to launch very near to that time. If Apple had announced it I could have gotten the newer model.

You also have to remember Carnegie Melon accepts the students who didn't make MIT and UC Berkley. That 24% acceptance rate doesn't reflect the whole story. And yeah, navigating U.S. colleges is ludicrous.

I got a partial scholarship to Carnegie Melon (and Cambridge in the UK) even though my high school GPA was only 3.5 (I was lazy when I wasn't challenged, so homework fell by the wayside even though I never got less than a B on any test in any subject). I did get a 33 on the ACT though. 

The school wouldn't have screwed me over if I could have put in a funding request for a product due to launch very near to that time. If Apple had announced it I could have gotten the newer model.

You also have to remember Carnegie Melon accepts the students who didn't make MIT and UC Berkley. That 24% acceptance rate doesn't reflect the whole story. And yeah, navigating U.S. colleges is ludicrous.

I'm pretty good at SATs, I pulled a 700 on the Bio E test with ten minutes of studying the night before. It's not a fantastic score but 600 is considered good.

I'd really hope to get into Carnegie Melon, but I'm actually just outside Boston/Cambridge so keeping my fingers crossed for MIT. (although after a certain point it might as well be a lottery with MIT)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm pretty good at SATs, I pulled a 700 on the Bio E test with ten minutes of studying the night before. It's not a fantastic score but 600 is considered good.

I'd really hope to get into Carnegie Melon, but I'm actually just outside Boston/Cambridge so keeping my fingers crossed for MIT. (although after a certain point it might as well be a lottery with MIT)

I wish you the best of luck believe me. MIT has its reputation for a reason. Their curriculum for Computer Science kinda confuses me, but I know I'd love it if I was there.

and AMD is still on 32nm, lol

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I wish you the best of luck believe me. MIT has its reputation for a reason. Their curriculum for Computer Science kinda confuses me, but I know I'd love it if I was there.

Yeah. The embarrassing part is I've wanted to go there, (like seriously, seriously wanted to go there) since I was in 5th grade, and my grandfather went back in the late 50s. It was of course a very different school at that point in time, before the PC revolution and in the midst of the EE revolution. Their acceptance rate used to be much higher, just because fewer people applied. I have to remember that it's more important to keep your options open and not get tunnel vision for one school, because MIT obviously isn't the best for everyone or even the best period, it just has a glamorous reputation, scads of money, and beautiful, expensive architecture on its campus.

I'll of course still be crushed when (not if, as I said, I'm not a genius) I don't get in, but what the hell. Everyone has to go somewhere, and it's pretty obvious there are more than 1000 people who deserve to go to MIT that don't get in. It might as well be a lottery after a certain point.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah. The embarrassing part is I've wanted to go there, (like seriously, seriously wanted to go there) since I was in 5th grade, and my grandfather went back in the late 50s. It was of course a very different school at that point in time, before the PC revolution and in the midst of the EE revolution. Their acceptance rate used to be much higher, just because fewer people applied. I have to remember that it's more important to keep your options open and not get tunnel vision for one school, because MIT obviously isn't the best for everyone or even the best period, it just has a glamorous reputation, scads of money, and beautiful, expensive architecture on its campus.

I'll of course still be crushed when (not if, as I said, I'm not a genius) I don't get in, but what the hell. Everyone has to go somewhere, and it's pretty obvious there are more than 1000 people who deserve to go to MIT that don't get in. It might as well be a lottery after a certain point.

Kick ass elsewhere and go there for your Master's or PhD.

Kick ass elsewhere and go there for your Master's or PhD.

Always an option :D

And WPI is certainly a very interesting option too. I like the whole project-based approach. MIT has actually started modeling some of its programs after WPI's, even though in theory MIT is a superior school. I've seen people reject WPI for MIT and MIT for WPI.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Always an option :D

And WPI is certainly a very interesting option too. I like the whole project-based approach. MIT has actually started modeling some of its programs after WPI's, even though in theory MIT is a superior school. I've seen people reject WPI for MIT and MIT for WPI.

Everyone has something to learn from everyone else. This is true for schools and companies as well as people.

This is true for schools and companies as well as people.

Truly.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yup. Naked mount or liquid pro/ultra under the good or go home.

Exactly how much cooler will it be with a naked mount or liquid pro/ultra

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Exactly how much cooler will it be with a naked mount or liquid pro/ultra

For my 4960x I was 6*C better at stock and 3*C better under full Prime95 load on an EK Elite water block.

For my 4960x I was 6*C better at stock and 3*C better under full Prime95 load on an EK Elite water block.

so not really worth it

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

so not really worth it

Depends on your perspective. If I make it last all the way to Cannonlake/CL-E on its 4.6 GHz then it was worth getting the extra 200MHz.

Depends on your perspective. If I make it last all the way to Cannonlake/CL-E on its 4.6 GHz then it was worth getting the extra 200MHz.

yeah I mean really that is amazing very amazing overclock can you please give me a link to some benchmarks or a log of some kind.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ