Choosing a home theater projector

Val.J

Hello Guys!

I`m thinking of getting a projector (2d) primarily for watching movies. I really don`t know alot about them and I have no idea what to look for. Considering that i`ll mainly use it in a very dark space with almost no ambient light to interfere with the image, I`m not too worried about contrast and luminosity.  Right now i`m mainly looking at resolution, which to my surprise is really low in 90% of the products (800x600 or 1024x768). Is 800x600 enough for this use scenario?

Can you tell me what should I look for, what brands, types, resolution, connectivity? I`m really new to this stuff...

Come on :-)  not a single comment? :)

Hmm, I'm not an expert in projectors but I'll try my best XD

First thing, budget. I assumed you are willing to pay around $1000 Not too cheap also not too expensive for a projector.

Next thing is Projector technology. With $1000 budget, you are good to go with a decent DLP projectors. For LCD projectors, they tend to be more expensive but usually better than DLP, $1300+ for 1080p 2D and $1500+ for 1080p 3D.

Brand : BenQ, Epson, Optoma, Sony, Panasonic, etc. There are so many out there to choose. You might want to check the stores in your area first. What they have in their stock.

Connectivity : Mostly, HDMI. Some of them do have DVI. If you are watching movie from BD-player or PS3, you are good to go. ;)

Resolution : I'll go with 1080p for sure. Don't want to feel like sitting in classroom and look at super hugh low res projector. There are 2k and 4k projectors as well. ($12,000+)

Distance from projector to wall : Use this projection calculator to calculate the distance and how to setup your projector. It varies on each model because they have different thrown distance.

Projector screen : This one you might have to do some research. It depends on you setup + what kind of experience you want to have. Some give you brighter image, some give you sharper image :D

Short thrown vs normal : Short thrown projector can sit closer to screen/wall than normal one. Usually a better choice for a small room.

After doing some research, these BenQ projectors look pretty good.They are listed on top 10 most popular projectors on http://www.projectorcentral.com

Link to NCIX : BenQ W1070 Home Theater DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080p and BenQ W1080ST Home Theater Short Throw Projector 3D Ready 1080p

Link to Review : BenQ W1070 Home Theater DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080p review and BenQ W1080ST Home Theater Short Throw Projector 3D Ready 1080p review

Another choice would be Optoma HD25. People usually compared it to BenQ W1070 and W1080ST.

Link to Review : Benq W1070 vs Optoma HD25

Link to Amazon : Optoma HD25, HD (1080p), 2000 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector (White)

They are all 1080p and 3D ready projector. Cost around $1000 which is pretty good in my opinion. Non of them include 3D glasses so be sure to grab one if you want to watch 3D movies too :D

Sorry for my English in advance :D

First thing, budget. I assumed you are willing to pay around $1000 Not too cheap also not too expensive for a projector.

Next thing is Projector technology. With $1000 budget, you are good to go with a decent DLP projectors. For LCD projectors, they tend to be more expensive but usually better than DLP, $1300+ for 1080p 2D and $1500+ for 1080p 3D.

Brand : BenQ, Epson, Optoma, Sony, Panasonic, etc. There are so many out there to choose. You might want to check the stores in your area first. What they have in their stock.

Connectivity : Mostly, HDMI. Some of them do have DVI. If you are watching movie from BD-player or PS3, you are good to go. ;)

Resolution : I'll go with 1080p for sure. Don't want to feel like sitting in classroom and look at super hugh low res projector. There are 2k and 4k projectors as well. ($12,000+)

Distance from projector to wall : Use this projection calculator to calculate the distance and how to setup your projector. It varies on each model because they have different thrown distance.

Projector screen : This one you might have to do some research. It depends on you setup + what kind of experience you want to have. Some give you brighter image, some give you sharper image :D

Short thrown vs normal : Short thrown projector can sit closer to screen/wall than normal one. Usually a better choice for a small room.

After doing some research, these BenQ projectors look pretty good.They are listed on top 10 most popular projectors on http://www.projectorcentral.com

Link to NCIX : BenQ W1070 Home Theater DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080p and BenQ W1080ST Home Theater Short Throw Projector 3D Ready 1080p

Link to Review : BenQ W1070 Home Theater DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080p review and BenQ W1080ST Home Theater Short Throw Projector 3D Ready 1080p review

Another choice would be Optoma HD25. People usually compared it to BenQ W1070 and W1080ST.

Link to Amazon : Optoma HD25, HD (1080p), 2000 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector (White)

They are all 1080p and 3D ready projector. Cost around $1000 which is pretty good in my opinion. Non of them include 3D glasses so be sure to grab one if you want to watch 3D movies too :D

Thank you so much for the comment, that`s a lot of info. Let me tell you what I have so far - I watched a movie on an older Acer 800x600 projector, and I couldn`t believe how good it looked for 800x600. I guess when it comes to projection, pixes density is perceived differently from monitor pixel density.  If 800x600 was somewhat OK, I think 720p will do the trick. My budghet is a little lower than that and really can`t go 1080p. I guess 600-700$ is all that I can spend. I also don`t need 3D.

I guess the question which remains is - should I go for DLP or LCD, and what brands should I consider. I`m still looking in other forums and threads. I guess I posted a topic here because I wanted to know gamers` opinions :)

Most PC gamer don't do a projector setup. It takes too much space + you will need some kind of controller or wireless keyboard/mouse. Not ideal for pc gamer :\ Also at $800-1000 for 1080p projector, you can get a pretty good 27" 1440p monitor instead :D

Console gamer tend to do more projector setup. Most console game run at 720p so any decent projector should be ok.

For DLP vs LCD, you might want to take a look at store and test them by yourself. Some prefer DLP, some prefer LCD. However, most sub $1000 projector is DLP so you are pretty much limit to DLP XD

Most new 1080p Home theater projector starts at $1000 + most of them support 3D. Just like new Flatscreen, I believe all of them support 3D (At least from what I've seen so far):D

List of projector in budget. You might be able to find cheaper than me :D

Viewsonic pro8200 - about $720, a little bit off your budget but it's a really good projector. Lots of good reviews out there. (Native 1080p)

Acer® H5360 - $520, Another pj with many good reviews out there. (720p)

Optoma HD66, HD - $460, Another Acer H5360 competitor. People usually compare these two together. (720p)

BenQ W710ST - $550, Another choice from BenQ. (720p)

BenQ EP5920 - $780, $80+ from your budget but for 1080p. Pretty good pj too.

For 720p, either HD66 or H5360 is a good choice. There are many reviews about them so be sure to check those review. For 710ST, If you need a shot thrown pj, it might be a good choice too.

For 1080p, most of reviewer/projector lover choose Pro8200. If you can extend you bugdet a litte bit, this pj is a really good one.

I think most 720p home theater projectors will be discontinued soon. They are not really mainstream anymore, mostly aimed at budget user. My recommendation would be save up for 1080p projector. It will last you longer :D

Most PC gamer don't do a projector setup. It takes too much space + you will need some kind of controller or wireless keyboard/mouse. Not ideal for pc gamer :\ Also at $800-1000 for 1080p projector, you can get a pretty good 27" 1440p monitor instead :D

Console gamer tend to do more projector setup. Most console game run at 720p so any decent projector should be ok.

For DLP vs LCD, you might want to take a look at store and test them by yourself. Some prefer DLP, some prefer LCD. However, most sub $1000 projector is DLP so you are pretty much limit to DLP XD

Most new 1080p Home theater projector starts at $1000 + most of them support 3D. Just like new Flatscreen, I believe all of them support 3D (At least from what I've seen so far) :D

List of projector in budget. You might be able to find cheaper than me :D

Viewsonic pro8200 - about $720, a little bit off your budget but it's a really good projector. Lots of good reviews out there. (Native 1080p)

Acer® H5360 - $520, Another pj with many good reviews out there. (720p)

Optoma HD66, HD - $460, Another Acer H5360 competitor. People usually compare these two together. (720p)

BenQ W710ST - $550, Another choice from BenQ. (720p)

BenQ EP5920 - $780, $80+ from your budget but for 1080p. Pretty good pj too.

For 720p, either HD66 or H5360 is a good choice. There are many reviews about them so be sure to check those review. For 710ST, If you need a shot thrown pj, it might be a good choice too.

For 1080p, most of reviewer/projector lover choose Pro8200. If you can extend you bugdet a litte bit, this pj is a really good one.

I think most 720p home theater projectors will be discontinued soon. They are not really mainstream anymore, mostly aimed at budget user. My recommendation would be save up for 1080p projector. It will last you longer :D

Thank you so much once again for the comment.

I don`t really intend to do much gaming on the projector, I`m buying it just for movies (i do music for films and I wanted to get a projector as a dedicated movie display). I was, however, curious how it would work for gaming. I am indeed getting a 27` monitor (1080p) which is also why my budget is lower. I know a 1080p projector and a 1440p monitor would be ideal, but the price difference is huuuuge.

The only way I could fit both things in my budget would be if I get used projector (i wouldn`t get a second hand monitor though). Do you think that its a bad idea, especially given the lamp life etc ?

Hmm, used/refurbished projector should be fine as long as it has a warranty with it. With no warranty, I'd be a bit worried. Bulb replacement will cost you a good $200+. If you can find local seller, it would be great because you can check the projector first. Also, You might want to check out at avsforum and avforums too. They have tons of projectors reviews list on their site + a market place for projector too.

• 3 years later...

I have the benq w1070 its a solid 3D 1080p Projektor it overclocks to 75hz and its 2000ansi lumen are quite bright, it should cost about 500€ atm. My lamp broke after 5000 hours and costs  me from 30€ to 80€ depends in where you buy it.

I love it

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz