"Personal Cloud"

matulley

Hey,

My essential goal as with any cloud is to sync all my data in real time into one storage solution so it can be accessed as normal from my mobile phone, laptop and ultrabook/chromebook (as well as my desktop which will have its own storage solution).

Is there anyway I can set-up a system where I could use my ultrabook on the go and have these files in sync when I get back to my desktop and/or use/see them on other devices. I currently have a spare desktop of which I could turn into a dedicated server with a RAID array but Im just unsure as to whether or not I could find some free software where I could for example, replace or use just like my documents/pictures/music but in sync with all my devices. 

Im not a great fan of the idea of potentially having my files on someone elses servers/system forevererer.

Also could anybody point me towards good NAS solutions that I can add more storage to as I am quite the noob when it comes to NAS drives.

Edit: Other than for a large storage of music, films, documents and pictures, I will also be using my smaller more portable devices to record things like lectures/meetings can anybody suggest a solution to using a netbook/chromebook to store the files in this cloud rather than locally on the device.

Edit2: Does anybody have any experience with using a remote desktop swoftware with a Netbook/chromebook for using things like MATlab, AutoCAD and Maple etc from the Desktop pc.

PC Rig: Intel i7 4790k CPU, 2x Sapphire R9 290 Graphics, MSI Gaming 7 Z97 MB, 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz G-skill ripjaws, RAID0 2x Crucial 500GB MX500 SSD, RAID1 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM1000W Gold PSU, Noctua NHD14, Corsair 750D Case.

Westen Digital offers a personal cloud solution.

here is what would be the most easiest solution: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/personalcloud/consumer/

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

You can aways use owncloud. Just google it.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few devices.

- Mobile

- Laptop

- Desktop

- NAS

I have installed BitTorrent Sync on all of them and have my documents, pictures, and a few other files syncing between them. Works really well.

I've set them to sync just over lan. But if needed you can sync over the internet. It will however only be limited by you connections upload speed.

When I get home, my mobile sends my photos and videos to the NAS. So I never have to fear losing them or having them stored on a server somewhere.

If I edit a document on my laptop. I can pull it up on my desktop flawlessly. And if I ever lost anything the NAS is set to archive the important stuff even if it's deleted.

I'm really impressed with it.

I use BitTorrent Sync as well. It works flawlessly.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I'm doing the same thing with my QNAP.  It backs up my emails/photos/videos when my phone is plugged in and on wifi.  My QNAP is the 420 model with the 4 bays.  I can also access it from anywhere using VPN or QNAP's on mycloud service.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

I personally would suggest that you use BTSync, since it works in the background (you wouldn't have to interact with it). The only issue is if you're on a network that blocks P2P traffic.

By NAS, do you just mean some way to add additional drives to your desktop/server? Or do you want something separate from the file syncing?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Hey,

My essential goal as with any cloud is to sync all my data in real time into one storage solution so it can be accessed as normal from my mobile phone, laptop and ultrabook/chromebook (as well as my desktop which will have its own storage solution).

Is there anyway I can set-up a system where I could use my ultrabook on the go and have these files in sync when I get back to my desktop and/or use/see them on other devices. I currently have a spare desktop of which I could turn into a dedicated server with a RAID array but Im just unsure as to whether or not I could find some free software where I could for example, replace or use just like my documents/pictures/music but in sync with all my devices. 

Im not a great fan of the idea of potentially having my files on someone elses servers/system forevererer.

Also could anybody point me towards good NAS solutions that I can add more storage to as I am quite the noob when it comes to NAS drives.

Edit: Other than for a large storage of music, films, documents and pictures, I will also be using my smaller more portable devices to record things like lectures/meetings can anybody suggest a solution to using a netbook/chromebook to store the files in this cloud rather than locally on the device.

Edit2: Does anybody have any experience with using a remote desktop swoftware with a Netbook/chromebook for using things like MATlab, AutoCAD and Maple etc from the Desktop pc.

I have a 5 Node Linux cluster running OwnCloud. It has a collective of 2.5 TB of storage which I manage from a dedicated Android tablet. It is, IMO, the superior solution for data storage. 

Thanks for replies guys

PC Rig: Intel i7 4790k CPU, 2x Sapphire R9 290 Graphics, MSI Gaming 7 Z97 MB, 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz G-skill ripjaws, RAID0 2x Crucial 500GB MX500 SSD, RAID1 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM1000W Gold PSU, Noctua NHD14, Corsair 750D Case.