PSU dead? How do I test it?

EvergoneW

Hey guys,

so a few months ago my PSU apparently sparked and stared smoking (unfortunately I was at work when this happened), I pulled it out and notice it had some type of oil all over it..

it now seems to be dry.How can I test this safely? I am paranoid about playing around with power :/

It is a Silverstone strider 1200w :) 

So do you think my chances are slim on it functioning?

Probably. Just try it and see, no point in wasting a 1200W PSU. Try the paper clip method in the link.

So do you think my chances are slim on it functioning?

Probably. Just try it and see, no point in wasting a 1200W PSU. Try the paper clip method in the link.

Take it out of the system first.

Take it out of the system first.

Yeah, I m running my old 850 watt unit atm, i took it out as soon as it happened

You've probably blown some caps. If it's still under warranty try to rma it but otherwise I'd toss it. Once you start blowing caps there's going to be other things that go bad too. You'd have to rebuild the thing and that's way too much trouble.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261023

these are a great option for testing power supplies.

If you have a paper clip, and a volt meter you can do an unloaded test... but not a full load test.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC