one psu two pc's

chimmychunger

Hi i was just wondering in theiry if you had a powerful enough psu and added more cables would it be possible to run two computars on one psu

And is it also possible if you had a huge rig with so much un-nessesery stuff in their that you could have two psu's running one pc

I am not going to do this i was just curious

You can use 2 PSUs a was going to, as for the other one, i dont think so

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

You can use 2 PSUs a was going to, as for the other one, i dont think so

why not? as long as you have the appropriate amount of cables and enough wattage?

You can use two PSUs for a single PC. In fact, there are cases that can house two PSUs at once. As for one PSU powering two PCs...if the PCs are efficient enough, yes. Though it's not practical.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes, there are actually quite a few cases that support dual-PSU systems. For the other way, you would run into problems with the amount of cables, and the types of cables. However, it is definitely possible to use one PSU to power a 2 or even 4 CPU rig. 

AFAIK I don't think any manufacturer makes PSUs with 2 x 24 pin power outlets on one PSU so therein already lies a problem, although it would be great if someone could link me one with two main power supply outlets.

Each connector on your psu whether it be EPS, ATX, or PCI-e have a maximum wattage output per connector and won't be able to output any more than that. 1 eps connector split into 2 going into 2 pc's will draw over spec wattage and not work. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Brad's sort of on the right track. The PCIe/Molex connectors won't be the issue but rather the 24 and EPS connector. Sure you could wire them into series for each motherboard however the PSU is only designed to output a certain amount of power on each line. Yes, you could hack the PSU up and make it output more by changing capacitors and resistors around however then you would have to upgrade the wiring to accomodate the increased current otherwise you'll burn things out.

And yes, there are dual PSU cases on the market. The Corsair 900D, I think the TJ07, I know most of the Caselabs cases support dual PSU's. Infact they even offer quad PSU mounts for their dual motherboard cases. However with new technologies like Haswell, low power is becoming a more mainstream objective and the use of a 2nd PSU is becoming limited. I've only seen people actually using multiple PSU's in servers for redundancy. 

Brad's sort of on the right track. The PCIe/Molex connectors won't be the issue but rather the 24 and EPS connector. Sure you could wire them into series for each motherboard however the PSU is only designed to output a certain amount of power on each line. Yes, you could hack the PSU up and make it output more by changing capacitors and resistors around however then you would have to upgrade the wiring to accomodate the increased current otherwise you'll burn things out.

A 6 pin PCI goes up to 75w though, right? 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

But if the PSU has 6 PCI connectors, it's not an issue. A PSU though only has 1 24 pin and mostly 1 8 pin ESP connector 80% of the time.

But if the PSU has 6 PCI connectors, it's not an issue. A PSU though only has 1 24 pin and mostly 1 8 pin ESP connector 80% of the time.

Ah yes, I see. Just use another pci connector. Derp, silly me :P Only with a psu that has 1 PCI connector splitting it would be an issue.