booting slower over time

CATSLUVER420

NTFS, FAT, and exFAT uses an "write where the head is" approach on HDDs. It is fast then starting to measure, locate, and allocating blocks surrounding data, to try an reduce defragmentation.

Its not rocket science. Beside with SSD, fragmentation is a non issue. In fact, SSD purposefully fragment data to evenly use each nand. So the extra work done by other file systems is completely useless for SSDs.

It's not extra work though, and hard drives are still a large portion of the market. It's better to carefully organize the data to avoid fragmentation than to write where the head is and increase it. That's the old way of doing file system optimization.

If you still consider NTFS to be superior to HFS+ I suggest this fantastic article: http://osxbook.com/software/hfsdebug/fragmentation.html

For the purpose of convenience I will quote it for you:

We have so far implied that "contiguous is good", which is usually true. The performance of modern drives is higher when I/O requests have a larger size. More contiguity in file allocation allows for larger I/O requests (plus any CPU overheads may be amortized), leading to better sequential I/O performance.

Don't try to argue with him about Windows. He hates it's guts more than anything else and always references how awful it is. I found this out the easy way, by pressing his Apple buttons, and it was quite spectacular.

Well, I hate what's on the outside of it more and more these days, but the internals are nothing to be proud of either.

I still use it though, because I haven't finished my transition to Linux, and for the sake of comparison and defending myself from people like you.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yea, but that is not Windows, that is the user. Startup programs are execute at account load time, not when Windows boots up, as mentioned.

And, when Windows boots up, it loads itself, and if you don't have a fully supported UEFI motherboard and OS, the OS will detect the hardware of the system, as it doesn't know what the BIOS detected a moment ago (retarded).

So, in the OP case, I think the culprit is the HDD, which is only 5400RPM, and probably is very fragmented, as he never let the system defragment it (probably the system is off, at the default time the system is set to execute a system wide defrag on HDDs, or he disabled it completely), or he installed a craply made driver.

it is not my os drive, the hdd contains only music, photos and some videos

it is not my os drive, the hdd contains only music, photos and some videos

I know its not, but HDD is being scanned by Windows for identification purposes, as all the work done by the BIOS (which I assume you either use Windows 7 or older, or have a system that isn't fully UEFI supported). A quick unplug and test, is what I am asking, just to rule the HDD out of the equation.

I know its not, but HDD is being scanned by Windows for identification purposes, as all the work done by the BIOS (which I assume you either use Windows 7 or older, or have a system that isn't fully UEFI supported). A quick unplug and test, is what I am asking, just to rule the HDD out of the equation.

but i dont realy use my hdd, and usually the startup is a bit faster

make sure to remove unwanted programs from startup (msconfig for win7, or ctrl+alt+del for win8(. remove temporary files (start>run>temp and %temp%), and remove prefetch files (start>run>prefetch) 

might help a little bit

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.