NAS recommendations?

Stewartrc

Evening all

I've looked around a bit at a few NAS's.

Just wanted to know what other people are running and what you recommend? Custom and per-built :D

Just the normal stuff it would be used for, Music, movies etc

Cheers guys

:)

"Guardianship of all living things lies with those whose evolution is most complete. The Mantle of Responsibility shelters all."

I've got a Synology DS213j. It's a nice little device, I've had no problem setting it up (not only as a NAS, but also a torrent-machine, DLNA and print-server). I haven't got to set up a network scanner on it though...

I've gone with it because I didn't need a lot of drives, and had basically zero components to build a custom one, and Synology is one of the best (but probably not the cheapest) NAS vendors out there.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

If you have any leftover spare parts, like an old dual core or whatever, put one together with some WD Red drives as storage. Slap FreeNAS on and you're good to go. My buddy has a 6core bulldozer which he was gonna throw out, but ended up building a cheap NASbox, which stores all his music/movies/anime etc, and hosts a Teamspeak 3 server off it.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If you have any leftover spare parts, like an old dual core or whatever, put one together with some WD Red drives as storage. Slap FreeNAS on and you're good to go. My buddy has a 6core bulldozer which he was gonna throw out, but ended up building a cheap NASbox, which stores all his music/movies/anime etc, and hosts a Teamspeak 3 server off it.

6-core NAS. That's hardcore :D

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I built my own.

for about $300, i got 3TB storage w/ 4GB RAM for cacheing. I can achieve full gigabit speeds writing and ~70Mbps read

~Judah

Yeah, I have found the experience with NASs from companies like Synology not to be that great. If I were you I would get a cheap second hand pc off of ebay or use one that you have lying around. However if you can't that I can recommend a Lacie 2 Big NAS as that is what I use to backup all of my machines to and it works perfectly.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

6-core NAS. That's hardcore :D

It's undervolted ofc, and has all the power saving shite enabled. Sometimes use it as a private server for CS1.6/CSS matches.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Cheers Warhammer are take alook.

I was thinking about this :D

Just wanted to know what people were using.

Keep hearing bad things about "certain!" brands of NAS

"Guardianship of all living things lies with those whose evolution is most complete. The Mantle of Responsibility shelters all."