At what price point would I start seeing an upgrade over GTX 650 Ti

MooseParade

I play on a single 24" monitor at 1920x1080 and currently running an MSI GTX 650 Ti PE/OC 1gb overclocked with an AMD 965 BE @3.8ghz and 4gb's RAM (soon to be an FX-8350 and 8gb RAM). I haven't played anything newer than Borderlands 2 but I want to start expanding my game library and was looking to upgrade. Maybe Tomb Raider, BF3 / BF4, Metro, Hawken, Far Cry 3 and I'd like to start adding some mods to my Skyrim.  I'm even willing to give Crysis a shot.

My motherboards an Asrock 970A Extreme3 so no SLI, not that I could run dual 650 Ti's anyways and the budget is ~$250. As you can see I stick to first person shooters. Also, I'm not a fanboy of either side, I just want the most performance for my money and yes, whatever I upgrade to will be overclocked if that makes any difference.

I was thinking either a 7870 or 660. Newegg also has a 7870 Tahiti LE for $250.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

I would wait until Nvidia releases the 900 series, otherwise you're just wasting money, imo.

To me you have a few options.

1) Upgrade now to something like a 7950 and be able to play all those games no problem + get a few extra free games.

2) Get the games you want now and see how the 650 handles it, then decide if you want to upgrade.

3) Wait out until towards the end of the year and see what comes out.

If I were in this situation i would wait and see what the future holds, your 650 ti is going to be able to play all those games, just might not be on the highest settings.

Sell the 650 and buy a 7950 for ~$300, it's amazing value for the price.

EDIT: Tony N is wise, listen to him. :)

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

The new nvidia cards should be released end of May (at least the 770) 

For price/performance in single card right now though, I would go AMD, then you get the bonus of the never settle bundle as well. 

I think 7870/7950 are the current champs as far as bang for buch goes right now (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

The new nvidia cards should be released end of May (at least the 770) 

For price/performance in single card right now though, I would go AMD, then you get the bonus of the never settle bundle as well. 

I think 7870/7950 are the current champs as far as bang for buch goes right now (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

7770/7850 are champs according to Linus.

Also, listen to wise elder Tony N. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I didn't even think about that. I could sell the GTX 650 Ti (I have a GTX 640 I could live with for a week or so) and add that to my budget, that would put me at ~$325 or so, that would put me in the GTX 660 Ti / 7950 range.

Oh wow, just realised that the 7950 comes with 2 games that I already mentioned; Tomb Raider & Crysis 3. That would save me the money in buying them separately. Tony N was right.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman