RAM

Hello

This will probably be a stipid question but im a begginer at building a pc. But when it says that a motherboard can have max 32 gb of ram. Does it mean that i must have a 4x 8 gb ram or can i use my 4 gb ram stick

Hello

This will probably be a stipid question but im a begginer at building a pc. But when it says that a motherboard can have max 32 gb of ram. Does it mean that i must have a 4x 8 gb ram or can i use my 4 gb ram stick

You can use just one stick, but you can have up to 32 gb of ram in total. 

Hello

You can use the one stick. Though to get better performance you're gonna want another stick to go with it.

If it tops out at 32 GB of RAM, then you can MAX out with 4 8GB sticks. I'd recommend you check what speed your RAM is running at first/ Anything less than 1600 MHz needs to go. 

Since you have 4 slots, get yourself some dual channel memory (2 stick that add up to 8GB rather than 1 8GB stick). I don't know what your motherboard is so I can't recommend specific RAM exactly. 

With your motherboard I can help you out a bit more.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hello

That means how much RAM memory your motherboard can handle. Keep in mind that anything over 16GB is probably overkill for gaming/light video/image editing.

Also, you must consider the RAM frequency supported by both your motherboard and CPU when buying one.

Most of new CPUs and their compatible motherboard will do just fine with 1600MHz RAM memory.

I'd usually say go with the cheapest (from known brands) when choosing RAM memory.

Sorry for any double information, just wanted to help. Good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon