Apple And Nvidia To Get 16nm FinFET Chips From TSMC Next Year

Deletive

Yeah but shouldn't smaller =~ harder?

Generally yes, but not always. There's a lot we don't know about the designs or the tech being used for the lithography. But given both AMD and Nvidia struck out on it, I'm betting it's the fault of the lithography tech.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Volume production begins in Q1, we won't see products until Q3.

Yeah that means that they will have sorted out the potential problems they may have encountered until Q1, right?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

you posted the link with gtx 880 specs. It says 3200 cores on 28nm. the die would be bigger than GK110. but the last pcb picture we saw of GM204 was smaller than gk110 but a little bigger than Hawaii.

So that picture was of the 28nm version? And the 20nm will be bigger? Does die size shrink as the manufacturing node gets smaller or does that not effect it at all?

Yeah that means that they will have sorted out the potential problems they may have encountered until Q1, right?

Possibly,this news probably means that tsmc isn't having as much of an issue with the yields as they did with 20nm, but there could still be problems that stall their production.

unfortunately i can see nvidia wiping the floor with amd over the next 2-3 years

So that picture was of the 28nm version? And the 20nm will be bigger? Does die size shrink as the manufacturing node gets smaller or does that not effect it at all?

20nm should make everything smaller by a factor of 1.4 and 16 nm be a factor of 1.75 so yes we could see a 50% improvement over a 780ti if we were on 20nm. but on 28nm we'll only see a 20% performance improvement

unfortunately i can see nvidia wiping the floor with amd over the next 2-3 years

Intel will wipe the floor with both in the mobile section.  (macbooks and consumer)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

20nm should make everything smaller by a factor of 1.4 and 16 nm be a factor of 1.75 so yes we could see a 50% improvement over a 780ti if we were on 20nm. but on 28nm we'll only see a 20% performance improvement

Intel will wipe the floor with both in the mobile section. (macbooks and consumer)

Finally, a man who sees the light. Can't wait for GT4e graphics at 2TFlops. It takes a damn Tesla to get double that. 2880 cores vs. 96 Intel wins in perf/core by a long shot. I'd put that on desktop as standalone too if I could get it with ECC for workstation stuff, but I'll hold off until Cannonlake/E before I build a workstation again. At that point it'll be 192 cores probably. Putting more ALUs on the CPU cores at this point is just stupid.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd