MSI Z77A-GD65 Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

Yes the MSi Z77A-GD65 can run 2x SLI and a soundcard. The P8Z77-V can also run SLI with a sound card. The only thing you have to look for is if it is a PCI or a PCI-e soundcard you wil be using. If it is a OCi card your only option (Out of those two anyway) will be the P8Z77-V, if it is a PCI-e card you can use both.

Can the MSI Z77A-GD65 run 2x SLI and a soundcard? I read somewhere that it can't so I wanted to be sure.

Also, this motherboard or the P8Z77-V?

There's a £10 difference in it, so it's not bad either way.

Smaste.

Yes the MSi Z77A-GD65 can run 2x SLI and a soundcard. The P8Z77-V can also run SLI with a sound card. The only thing you have to look for is if it is a PCI or a PCI-e soundcard you wil be using. If it is a OCi card your only option (Out of those two anyway) will be the P8Z77-V, if it is a PCI-e card you can use both.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Can the MSI Z77A-GD65 run 2x SLI and a soundcard? I read somewhere that it can't so I wanted to be sure.

Also, this motherboard or the P8Z77-V?

There's a £10 difference in it, so it's not bad either way.

Smaste.

Yes, the GD65 can run x2 SLI and a sound card. Wherever you read otherwise either do not know what their talking about or are paid to supply false information to get you to buy from other brands.

The GD65 and the P8Z77-V are both solid boards, it pretty much just comes down to what you need and personal taste. Also, if you're buying parts for a new build, I'd wait for Haswell and Z87 boards as they're due out in about 1 week from now.

The asus boars has on board wifi that is the only hardware difference.

Yea sure it will.. just be sure to plug the sound card in the PCIe 1x slots.. preferably the top one, not the one between the 2 gpus (assuming both are dual slot and a slot is left in the middle)

You'll be plugging the gpu's in to the blue (full lenght) PCIe slots which will make them run as x8/x8 .AFAIK if you plug the sound card into the 3rd blue PCIe slot, it'll drop the slots down to x8/x4/x4 and SLI won't run any longer because Nvidia doesn't allow SLI when any card is at 4x (AMD does). So  that's what the person whom you were reading may have been referring to.. 

Again, make sure the sound card is in 1x

If I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct me anyone..

Alright thanks! It's a PCI-E soundcard so I'll be saving myself some money :).

Yes, the GD65 can run x2 SLI and a sound card. Wherever you read otherwise either do not know what their talking about or are paid to supply false information to get you to buy from other brands.

The GD65 and the P8Z77-V are both solid boards, it pretty much just comes down to what you need and personal taste. Also, if you're buying parts for a new build, I'd wait for Haswell and Z87 boards as they're due out in about 1 week from now.

I'm on a bit of a budget so the i7 3570k will be fine for me, for now anyways :).

I'm on a bit of a budget so the i7 3570k will be fine for me, for now anyways :).

No problem. Haswell will likely be 10-20 dollars more than ivy bridge when it comes out as well as the motherboards that come out for it. So, if you're strapped for cash than ivy bridge will be fine for you.