Haswell-E CPU preferance

Hey guys,

I looking to put together a new build on the x99 chipset. Im debating between the 5960k and 5930k.

This computer will be used as mostly a gaming PC, however I will also be doing CAD work on it (Catia V5) and C++ design automation.

Will the lower clock speed of the 5960 adversly affect gaming proformance compare to the 5930? Will the extra 2 cores make up for it? Will I notoce a difference in general computing speed between the two?

In this case price is no object as I am being offored preferential pricing on both skus.

Let me know!

Thx

As you are mainly gaming the higher clock speeds will probably benefit you better over 2 extra cores. 6 intel cores is beast in multithreaded games already. 

Get the 8 core for bragging rights and OC it

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

A 4790K will perform equally in games more than likely.

However, we know about as much as you do when it comes to unreleased products. 

In what application is the 5960k more suited?

In what application is the 5960k more suited?

I believe it will be the 5960 , and likely for CAD work, heavy rendering, video editing and such.

I believe it will be the 5960 , and likely for CAD work, heavy rendering, video editing and such.

Basically doing this ^^^ as a daily job. Even then, people only get the X CPU if their work pays for it, or if they are wealthy.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020