gtx 800 power requirements

Matthew12106

So I'm basically holding off getting the r9 290 because A I have a 550w psu which although is enough IDK if I'm comfortable with that and it was kind of helped by the fact that my case can't fit any triple fan cooler and the other ones are kinda loud. So I started to consider the 780 which is definitely in comfort zone but than I started to think if I'm considering getting a nvidia card might as well wait till the 800 series which is in October (most likely). So I know no one knows for certain the specs so any speculation will help. So am I making a huge mistake. So according to my brain it says that since these cards are maxwell they will use up less power and less heat = lower noise. So I'll either get the 870 or 880 I just want to make sure they will be fully compatible as in way in comfort zone of a 550w (Xfx 550w core edition 550w Continuous power). As well as over clocking headroom for the cpu and gpu! Otherwise I literally am wasting my time here (Well I'm not playing anything intensive currently and even if I don't get what I want I guess prices of the last gen cards will drop) Anyway I know that no one knows for certain but speculation and stuff will be fine.

Thanks!

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

Eh, if it's good enough quality, you might be able to squeeze an 880 on it... I say this because you can squeeze a 770 onto a 550w, and theoreticall/hopefully, power requirements should lower enough. If not, an 870 should hopefully have low enough requirements...

This is all speculation though, I'm not sure.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

In theory you're correct, BUT the 880 doesn't even 'exist' yet, so we can't say anything about it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Eh, if it's good enough quality, you might be able to squeeze an 880 on it... I say this because you can squeeze a 770 onto a 550w, and theoreticall/hopefully, power requirements should lower enough. If not, an 870 should hopefully have low enough requirements...

This is all speculation though, I'm not sure.

You can fit a 780ti on it if you want

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

You can fit a 780ti on it if you want

Doesn't mean it won't suck up literally all that power. I'm talking about these cards having there full power requirements met

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Doesn't mean it won't suck up literally all that power. I'm talking about these cards having there full power requirements met

a GTX 780 ti, even the higher end variants like the DCII, only take ~330 watts under furmark load.

And it'll likely never go above 280 watts under normal use.

So provided that you don't heavily overclock the CPU and GPU, or have 10+ HDDs that are all constantly under 100% load, you should be fine.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

a GTX 780 ti, even the higher end variants like the DCII, only take ~330 watts under furmark load.

And it'll likely never go above 280 watts under normal use.

So provided that you don't heavily overclock the CPU and GPU, or have 10+ HDDs that are all constantly under 100% load, you should be fine.

Exactly I don't know where these power exaggeration always come from. Maybe it's because amd and nvidia highly exaggerate the 'Minimum Recommended System Power' some people think they actually use that much although headroom is always good you don't always have to go crazy I mean in the video I just replied to him this guy got his 780ti to max out at 430w using a program like furmark to demolish it. Now that alone adds a 100w of headroom with a 550w and realistically no game or program will be as intensive those programs like furmark is basically torture. More realistically if you look at the wattage in the video during a more realistic scenario which is the unigine valley benchmark the power draw is much less

i wouldnt keep your fingers crossed on october being the month, we've heard legit like 10 different release dates, none of which have come true yet. at this point its become more of a waiting game than the corsair rbg keyboards were lmao

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Exactly I don't know where these power exaggeration always come from. Maybe it's because amd and nvidia highly exaggerate the 'Minimum Recommended System Power' some people think they actually use that much although headroom is always good you don't always have to go crazy I mean in the video I just replied to him this guy got his 780ti to max out at 430w using a program like furmark to demolish it. Now that alone adds a 100w of headroom with a 550w and realistically no game or program will be as intensive those programs like furmark is basically torture. More realistically if you look at the wattage in the video during a more realistic scenario which is the unigine valley benchmark the power draw is much less

Well the things that I've said, and the video you quoted, aren't the be all and end all of choosing your power supply.

Certain cards, depending on their binning, will use slightly more or less power and have to consider that a majority of people building their pcs with higher end parts will overclock those parts, and when overclocked the power consumption increases tremendously.

I'd say that a 650 watt power supply is ideal.

It gives a good amount of headroom for upgrades and overclocking, and it also gives  a sense of security that you aren't constantly pushing the power supply at 85-90%.

The advantages of having it run at 70-75% are that because the power supply is rated 10-15% above the load you'll have while gaming it won't generate as much heat as if it were at 85% or higher load, it won't contribute as much to the case temp, and the fan required to cool the power supply won't be as loud.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You cannot put a r9 280+ or gtx 760+ on a 550watt psu WITH an FX-8350. I have a gtx 780 and an 8350@5 ghz and my 650 watt was straining... ended up with an rm 850 from corsair

How old is your PSU?

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.