Windows Phone cons list I have

AoyagiAichou

So this might help someone who would happen to review the HTC M8 with WP. It's a list of things of various importance that have caused inconveniences or flat out rage. I've collected them in a year of using Nokia Lumia 920. Spoiler alert: I have reverted to 808 Pureview.

1. Uses cellular data when on WiFi (fixed?),
  2. Rather limited settings (can't even control the annoying search button),
  3. glacial speed of fixing the young OS,
  4. No application data access management,
  5. No proper task manager (fixed-ish),
  6. mandatory sandboxing and encrypting of everything,
  7. Trying to force me to use clouds by "either give us all your contacts or no marketplace for you" which is (for me) unacceptable (there are two workarounds for this),
  8. "back" instead of "close",
  9. store filled with fake applications, sometimes with exactly the same name, too (Facebook)
  10. unable to connect a PC to internet using USB cable,
  11. sending business cards is obnoxious and sometimes doesn't work,
  12. lengthy animations everywhere, presumably hiding loading times and making the OS "feel fluid" to some,
  13. Cannot install anything outside of the store,
  14. No file explorer (with sending files over BT) or access to the system and application files (file explorer added in 8.1, still very limited),
  15. No direct Outlook sync (Akruto is the only way I know of),
  16. No music player that can play by folders or play by search like VLC,
  17. Can't play some audio formats,
  18. Only global volume control (plus on phone)(slightly fixed in 8.1, two sliders now),
  19. Patch notes are non-existent or a pain to find,
  20. Can't see the amount of transferred data for the last 30 days (fixed),
  21. Can't uninstall things like "games" or "calculator",
  22. Can't download whatever I want in IE, gives "cannot download unsupported file type" (UC Browser circumvents this),
  23. Can't get rid of the message preview that pops up at top whenever a text message arrives,
  24. Can't set static IP for WiFi,
  25. Can't lock screen rotation (fixed in 8.1),
  26. Files disappear after uninstalling handler,
  27. can't make application folders or sort applications (somewhat fixed with "App Folder", still can't sort pre-installed applications(fixed in 8.1)),
  28. USB mode slow, loading all photos takes ages (no mass storage connection, only as "device),
  29. Carrier controls things they shouldn't get their hands on (Data Sense case, system updates),
  30. "apps",
  31. region locks (Cortana...),
  32. cannot set numeric keyboard as the main keyboard,
  33. camera sw terrible (blur, no light focus, quality, http://www.flickr.com/groups/808pureview/discuss/72157632814226283 ) (fixed),
  34. saving new number ("add description")(fixed in 8.1),
  35. doing offline things online (help, privacy statments, ...),
  36. no option for opting out of all "automated feedback",
  37. can't set a song as ringtone,
  38. messaging is broken when a contact has more than one number on it,
  39. "me" in contacts (don't use it, takes up a ton of space),
  40. no way to manage vibrations (fixed-is in 8.1, added one (1) toggle),
  41. no alternate keyboards,
  42. WiFi dies when the phone locks (fixed),
  43. no blocked contacts(fixed),
  44. no USB host,
  45. no click to call in browser (clicking/tapping/touching a phone number on the web should call the number),
  46. browser page loading is terrible (fail in midload makes loaded content disappear),
  47. obnoxious useless buttons ("more details"),
  48. saving recorded videos into "Pictures",
  49. some 'apps' can run in the background and there is nothing you can do about it (both stock and 3rd party)(8.1 added it, hides in it Battery Saver),
  50. no custom sounds or at least selection of pre-installed one (can't even change incoming SMS sound),
  51. No VPN (8.1 added VPN support, only for IKEv2),
  52. no call recording,
  53. No choice of USB mode (device, zune, modem, mass storage... http://i.imgur.com/0jnP9Qs.png ).,
  54. Cannot see files copied to phone, unless office files or media (fixed in 8.1 with Files utility),
  55. Preinstalled "apps" not visible on the store (glance, data sense, storage sense, etc),
  56. insufficient and/or unwanted presets (such as in calendar "how long")(mostly fixed, still can't set custom reminder time),
  57. dropdown menus for binary choices,
  58. IE has only 6 tabs max (fixed in 8.1),
  59. can't kill music player once it starts playing,
  60. "needs wifi" to download some things (updates...),
  61. unable to select videos in gallery selecting,
  62. OneNote autosync without telling the user and without opt out option,
  63. no "select all" in most places (wifi networks, notes...)
  64. No BT settings (visibility, paired devices(fixed), access rights...),
  65. updates sometimes just change sounds for no reason,
  66. unable to adjust things that are off (internet sharing, use of location on photos...)(most of the annoying ones were fixed),
  67. no way to summon first time help/tips/etc.,
  68. contact doesn't have SMS option when the number isn't designated as "mobile",
  69. can't manually check for application updates,
  70. no profiles,
  71. IE cannot open tabs on background,
  72. screenshoting makes loud sound camera capture regardless of sound settings (found out about this in a crowded public restroom,imagine that) (fixed),
  73. checking for system update takes bloody forever,
  74. IE can't access websites on custom ports,
  75. can't set my own date and time format,
  76. notification centre doesn't have location services and cellular data connection toggles
  77. the order of settings makes no sense
  78. can't install applications on SD card (fixed in 8.1, still can't install maps on SD)

Plural of PC is PCs, not PC's. Plural of CPU is CPUs, not CPU's. Plural of LED is LEDs, not LED's.

You can build computers really well, not real good.

TL;DR

dat list

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I'd prefer 14 more...to make a century..

BTW, If Mr. Nadella sees this....Nothing will happen :P

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I'm moving away from Windows Phone as soon as possible. The lack of apps and features on the phone is just annoying. I do like the live tiles though but they really don't make up for all of the other problems.

There are some good aspects to WP but they still have a long way to go to be viable contender. Unless you are MS everything theres not a lot of support, and lack of features. Haven't had the chance to use 8.1 yet but for the short time I used 8.0 there was a large parity gap between WP and iOS. Even basic stuff like an email signature. It always wanted to insert "Sent from Windows Phone" in every email. Why? And then with 3 email accounts I use all 3 have to be on their own tiles. No unified email app. 

I do have a friend that loves WP and is happy with it. WP is definitely usable as a phone but like I told him I think it feels like an early version of iOS. 

There are some good aspects to WP but they still have a long way to go to be viable contender. Unless you are MS everything theres not a lot of support, and lack of features. Haven't had the chance to use 8.1 yet but for the short time I used 8.0 there was a large parity gap between WP and iOS. Even basic stuff like an email signature. It always wanted to insert "Sent from Windows Phone" in every email. Why? And then with 3 email accounts I use all 3 have to be on their own tiles. No unified email app. 

I do have a friend that loves WP and is happy with it. WP is definitely usable as a phone but like I told him I think it feels like an early version of iOS. 

Of course it has upsides, everything has. I, for one, actually like the TIFKAM interface on a phone (I'd like it much more if it didn't have two second animations on every single thing, but hey). It's very easy to use and the user doesn't get any chance to damage the system. But that's also a downside... All in all, I think the OS makes the most sense in the likes of Lumia 520. My dad really likes it.

Which reminds me, there's another huge downside - cannot choose where are applications installed (internal or SD). That was fixed in 8.1. But I still can't choose where the maps go.

Plural of PC is PCs, not PC's. Plural of CPU is CPUs, not CPU's. Plural of LED is LEDs, not LED's.

You can build computers really well, not real good.