Apple Makes Last-Minute Design Change to iPhone 6, Potentially Could Cause Supply Issues

ThePointblank

From Reuters. In a nutshell, suppliers are left scrambling after Apple made a late design change to the upcoming iPhone 6, most specifically to the display. The issue was the backlight originally used a single layer of backlight film, and not two. However, this configuration didn't prove bright enough and an extra layer had to be fitted. As a result, production was halted for the iPhone 6's display for a period of two months in June and July. No word if the late re-design will affect the iPhone 6's launch or limit the number of units available to customers. It is noted that 3 companies are involved in making the iPhone 6's display; Japan Display, Sharp and LG Display.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/us-apple-iphone-idUSKBN0GM0N620140822?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

Suppliers to Apple Inc (AAPL.O) are scrambling to get enough screens ready for the new iPhone 6 smartphone as the need to redesign a key component disrupted panel production ahead of next month's expected launch, supply chain sources said.

It's unclear whether the hiccup could delay the launch or limit the number of phones initially available to consumers, the sources said, as Apple readies larger-screen iPhones for the year-end shopping season amid market share loss to cheaper rivals.

But the issue highlights the risks and challenges that suppliers face to meet Apple's tough specifications, and comes on the heels of a separate screen technology problem, since resolved, in making thinner screens for the larger iPhone 6 model.

Cupertino, California-based Apple has scheduled a media event for Sept. 9, and many expect it to unveil the new iPhone 6 with both 4.7 inch (11.94 cm) and 5.5 inch (13.97 cm) screens - bigger than the 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5s and 5c.

meh dont care the less the merrier

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That could be a problem.

Inb4 "WAHHHH MY MOMMY CAN'T BUY ME THE NEW IPHONE I CAN'T GO OUT IN PUBLIC NOW"

Oh noes, the hipsters are going to lose it now.

-hipster-barista_20120430032247.jpg

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Inb4 "WAHHHH MY MOMMY CAN'T BUY ME THE NEW IPHONE I CAN'T GO OUT IN PUBLIC NOW"

Basically a tyical white girls response.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Basically a tyical white girls response.

Or 35 year old man that still lives with he's mom.

Apple supply issues? Isn't that the gold standard when they release something?

144Hz goodness

Oh noes, the hipsters are going to lose it now.

-hipster-barista_20120430032247.jpg

Meanwhile.... *flips out old Sony Ericsson flip phone*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^