What is this connector?

aahrg
Go to solution Solved by FizzyFantom,

It does have a card reader, this is probably the most correct answer...

It's definitely a half USB block for the card reader. It will plug into the top half of the USB header where there are 4 pins instead of 5.

Refer to these two images following the colour of the wires to connect it the right way around and you should be fine:

usbcable.jpg

Me8By.gif

So I just got my new graphics card (r9 280 windforce), and while installing it, I had to disconnect a bunch of cables from my motherboard to make room for the card. When I went to reconnect them, I found a yellow cable with 4 pins on it that I don't remember seeing when I disconnected my cables. (They were just the front panel and USB cables). Now I don't know what this cable is used for, if I need it, or even where to plug it back into.

f9d8f6dabb.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture, my phone doesn't focus very well. There are 4 open pins and a 5th that is blocked.

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

Floppy disk? idk

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Probably the HDD/PWR LED or the PWR/RST switch.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I had one of these on my old old gpu, it came out a fan. Was never plugged in and fan still worked

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It might be for a single USB port. Might, i'm not sure.

Edit: I'm probably wrong, follow the wire back to see what it connects too.

I'm on a prebuilt (I know) PC that i've been upgrading as I go. The cable leads under the non-removable drive tray, and then under the hotswap hard drive bay and cd drive. I think it connects to the front panel, as everything else is plugged in.

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

The picture is too close, can you take another one a bit further back and also from the side? Also let us know where the other end leads?

I'm on a prebuilt (I know) PC that i've been upgrading as I go. The cable leads under the non-removable drive tray, and then under the hotswap hard drive bay and cd drive. I think it connects to the front panel, as everything else is plugged in.

Since it's a prebuilt it will no doubt be a proprietary connector.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I had one of these on my old old gpu, it came out a fan. Was never plugged in and fan still worked

It's not actually connected to my gpu, I just disconnected it as I was in the process of putting it in.

looks like something that goes in a cooler master v series psu 

coolermaster_v8501000_8.jpg

It's much smaller than the modular cables that connect to the psu. It's closer to the size of a fan header.

It's not actually connected to my gpu, I just disconnected it as I was in the process of putting it in.

It's much smaller than the modular cables that connect to the psu. It's closer to the size of a fan header.

Molex? But most likely some usb header or front panel I/O connector. 

It looks like half of a USB connector block. Does your case have a front card reader? most of those use this odd half USB (they're basically a USB device that connects directly)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

It looks like half of a USB connector block. Does your case have a front card reader? most of those use this odd half USB (they're basically a USB device that connects directly)

e55f61d59c.jpgHere it is next to a 6 pin pcie cable, for size comparison.

9e1d0854ad.jpgSide view as requested

It's definitely a half USB block for the card reader. It will plug into the top half of the USB header where there are 4 pins instead of 5.

Refer to these two images following the colour of the wires to connect it the right way around and you should be fine:

usbcable.jpg

Me8By.gif

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

usbcable.jpg

Me8By.gif

Yep, I just checked back and one of the usb connectors on the mobo is made of the same yellow plastic as the connector. Thanks for your help.