Do I need water cooling?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my new rig and I'm kinda confused if I would need an H100i (or something similar) or an air cooler like Hyper 212X would suffice. I've never tried liquid cooling before, never had the need for it but recent games have been a bit taxing on my CPU. Although the max temp I recorded so far was 78 degrees, I was using the stock intel cooler. 

My usage includes gaming mostly and browsing and designing. I don't edit videos or use CPU heavy applications. My rig specs that I'm building are below. Plz note, I'm using some of old parts like my mobo and CPU : 

CPU : Intel Core i5-3550
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
GPU : ASUS R9 280X
Case : NZXT H440
Storage : Segate 1TB HDD
PSU : Corsair CS650M 
Display : Samsung S22B370, 1080p

My first choice was a Hyper 212X due to its low cost and fairly decent reviews. 

p.s. I don't overclock :)

No, you never NEED watercooling. Get whatever cooler suits your needs, the CM one will do just fine.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

max temp I recorded so far was 78 degrees, I was using the stock intel cooler.

You should clean your cooler properly first. Mine hits 65-67 max in BF4 and my cpu is on 95% load there (including other programs)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my new rig and I'm kinda confused if I would need an H100i (or something similar) or an air cooler like Hyper 212X would suffice. I've never tried liquid cooling before, never had the need for it but recent games have been a bit taxing on my CPU. Although the max temp I recorded so far was 78 degrees, I was using the stock intel cooler. 

My usage includes gaming mostly and browsing and designing. I don't edit videos or use CPU heavy applications. My rig specs that I'm building are below. Plz note, I'm using some of old parts like my mobo and CPU : 

CPU : Intel Core i5-3550
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
GPU : ASUS R9 280X
Case : NZXT H440
Storage : Segate 1TB HDD
PSU : Corsair CS650M 
Display : Samsung S22B370, 1080p

My first choice was a Hyper 212X due to its low cost and fairly decent reviews. 

p.s. I don't overclock :)

Get rid of that Stock cooler and try something like the 212 Evo, Anything Noctua, Dark rock 3 Pro, You'll never have to worry about CPU temps again. Take it and throw away................

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

NOT the Hyper 212. That is a piece of mass-produced shit; despite this, everyone has really high opinions of the thing. Get something like this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-quiet!-shadow-rock-slim-compact-cpu-cooler-135mm-silent-fan-237dba-100-160w-tdp-intel-and-amd

And by the way, 80 degrees on the stock coler isn't normal, when I used a stock cooler on an i5-3570k, I was at about 65 max.

Compatible with Windows 95

Yeah, 78 degrees was a one time read when I was playing an MMO alpha, with highly unoptimized graphics and effects. The Dark Rock series is not available in India where I live, so I'll have to go for a Hyper 212 or something. Noctuas are quite expensive here. 

No. Air cooling is cheaper and you can get similar results to water cooling. 

• 4 weeks later...

NOT the Hyper 212. That is a piece of mass-produced shit; despite this, everyone has really high opinions of the thing. Get something like this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-quiet!-shadow-rock-slim-compact-cpu-cooler-135mm-silent-fan-237dba-100-160w-tdp-intel-and-amd

And by the way, 80 degrees on the stock coler isn't normal, when I used a stock cooler on an i5-3570k, I was at about 65 max.

Why do you hate it so much? For the price, it's amazing. Widely available and simple.

Why do you hate it so much? For the price, it's amazing. Widely available and simple.

You may as well have the stock cooler to be honest.

Compatible with Windows 95

You may as well have the stock cooler to be honest.

Why do you say that?

the 212 EVO is massive compared to the stock cooler

mid to high end noctua cooler would be good, a little pricey but amazing performance. if you want to go for a AIO water cooler a corsair H105 240mm would be good for low temps.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

The 212 is a beast for the $30 it costs. I got mine for $20 and never go over 70c with the stock fan