Upgrading RAM

Hi there.

So I've been using 4 gigs of RAM for actually a while now. Never really had 8 gigs before, and gaming seems fine. But the question is. Is it really worth the 80 bucks to get the new sets of sticks? Or should I remain the same.

And I know 4 gb is enough for gaming. But I want to abuse the crap out of google chrome too.

EDIT: How much would another 4gb increase my FPS in gaming

Hi there.

So I've been using 4 gigs of RAM for actually a while now. Never really had 8 gigs before, and gaming seems fine. But the question is. Is it really worth the 80 bucks to get the new sets of sticks? Or should I remain the same.

And I know 4 gb is enough for gaming. But I want to abuse the crap out of google chrome too.

If you can get a matching stick, then it'll be cheaper to get one...

It would also be a good chance to get a dual channel kit of faster RAM so I suggest you explore all the compatible options...

If you can get a matching stick, then it'll be cheaper to get one...

It would also be a good chance to get a dual channel kit of faster RAM so I suggest you explore all the compatible options...

Planning to get the HyperXfury. But honestly. It'd be a waste of 90 bucks if I only want to "abuse the crap out of Google Chrome."

Just buy a matching 4 GB stick. Or any 4 GB stick with the same speed, timings, and voltage.

Just buy a matching 4 GB stick. Or any 4 GB stick with the same speed, timings, and voltage.

50 dollars, for abusing google chrome. ALL RIGHT!

50 dollars, for abusing google chrome. ALL RIGHT!

*highfive* You make it know its place. :P

-snip-

EDIT: How much would another 4gb increase my FPS in gaming

No FPS gain at all - or very minimal.

Performance loss will only occur if you don't have enough RAM...and the system needs to use HDD space to temporary act as RAM.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

um I just threw some ram into my system earlier this week and I just booted and it just worked.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Look, the answer is simple. If your computer slows to a crawl with how you use your system or you get low memory pop ups, that's when you need to worry about adding more ram. There is next to zero benefit for frame rate. You either need more ram or you don't. You will know this just by using your system.

Hey..I Just Bought A Second 4GB Stick Of Ram To Go In My New Build.  One Brand Is PNY And The New Stick Is Corsair.  The Timings I Noticed Are Slightly Different.  When I Pop The New Corsair In I I Noticed That The Timings In The Bios Show 9-9-9-35  Instead Of 9-9-9-24 Like It Displays On The Side Of The Ram Stick.  When I Boot Up, It Detects The Total Of 8 GIgs But Windows 8.1 Gives Me The "Encountered Problem And Needs To Restart"  When I Take That Stick Of Corsair Out, Windows Boots Up Ok.  Do I Simply Need To Go Back Into Bios And Change The Timings And Voltage To Match The PNY Or Is The Bios Supposed To Automatically Adjust The Timings To Match When Running Ram In Dual Channel ?

CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 Haswell | GPU| PNY Gefore GTX  750 XLR8 Performance Edition Dual Fan|Asus H81M-C/CSM Motherboard|PSU Insignia 400w | RAM: 4GB PNY 1333mhz DDR3|HDD 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Hey..I Just Bought A Second 4GB Stick Of Ram To Go In My New Build.  One Brand Is PNY And The New Stick Is Corsair.  The Timings I Noticed Are Slightly Different.  When I Pop The New Corsair In I I Noticed That The Timings In The Bios Show 9-9-9-35  Instead Of 9-9-9-24 Like It Displays On The Side Of The Ram Stick.  When I Boot Up, It Detects The Total Of 8 GIgs But Windows 8.1 Gives Me The "Encountered Problem And Needs To Restart"  When I Take That Stick Of Corsair Out, Windows Boots Up Ok.  Do I Simply Need To Go Back Into Bios And Change The Timings And Voltage To Match The PNY Or Is The Bios Supposed To Automatically Adjust The Timings To Match When Running Ram In Dual Channel ?

If the BIOS doesn't automatically set the timings like it should, then you can do that manually.

If the BIOS doesn't automatically set the timings like it should, then you can do that manually.

Ok Great Thanks.  I'll Go In And Try That And If Windows Still Doesn't Boot Up With Both Sticks Installed After Everything Is Adjusted, I'll Be Returning This Stick Of Ram And Will Just Get An Identical PNY Stick.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 Haswell | GPU| PNY Gefore GTX  750 XLR8 Performance Edition Dual Fan|Asus H81M-C/CSM Motherboard|PSU Insignia 400w | RAM: 4GB PNY 1333mhz DDR3|HDD 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Ok Great Thanks.  I'll Go In And Try That And If Windows Still Doesn't Boot Up With Both Sticks Installed After Everything Is Adjusted, I'll Be Returning This Stick Of Ram And Will Just Get An Identical PNY Stick.

If your motherboard has a MemOK! button you can try using that too, it defaults the memory speeds, voltages, and timings to something to it will run. and can then be fiddled with from that point.

If your motherboard has a MemOK! button you can try using that too, it defaults the memory speeds, voltages, and timings to something to it will run. and can then be fiddled with from that point.

Awesome! I Didn't Know That.  I'll Check Into My My Asus Motherboard Info To See If It Has That.

Awesome! I Didn't Know That.  I'll Check Into My My Asus Motherboard Info To See If It Has That.

Checked their website and unfortunately it does not. So you'll have to manually set the timings.

Checked their website and unfortunately it does not. So you'll have to manually set the timings.

Ok I'm Glad It Wasn't Something I Missed Because I Wasn't Seeing It Either.  Thank You For Checking In On That :)