Best CPU cooler for Opteron(s)

I would like to build a 2P system for folding. I am putting together a list of parts I will buy, and i need to know what cooler is best (C32 Socket). I have heard that the Hyper212 can be modded to fit this socket type, but I thought I should ask the community for suggestions before I made a mistake.

I have seen a few $40 2U coolers on NewEgg, but I dont think that those coolers will leave much room for overclocking. 

Another note to keep in mind, my budget is pretty tight. I would like decent performance, but the less i need to spend the better.

~Judah

I would like to build a 2P system for folding. I am putting together a list of parts I will buy, and i need to know what cooler is best (C32 Socket). I have heard that the Hyper212 can be modded to fit this socket type, but I thought I should ask the community for suggestions before I made a mistake.

I have seen a few $40 2U coolers on NewEgg, but I dont think that those coolers will leave much room for overclocking. 

Another note to keep in mind, my budget is pretty tight. I would like decent performance, but the less i need to spend the better.

I haven't heard the Hyper 212 mod being done on a c32 socket cpu, (What Whaler_99 has is the G34 socket).

Then again, the C32 socket is only a little bit smaller than the G34, so i guess it wouldn't be that hard to change a few things. 

the g34 hyper 212+ mod: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662099

Although reading this from the Hardforum

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038043000&postcount=4

C32 Heatsinks:

Stock Thuban or Bulldozer heatsinks

Xigmatek Dark Knight: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029

C32 motherboards come with adapters that allow you to use any AM3 heatsink that is held on with the stock 2 clip configuration. 

So if that's the case, you could might be able to get any AM3 heatsink and stick on on a C32 socket (if the MB comes with the adapter like these guys are saying).

So I would check on the MB you want to see if has this adapter or not.

If it is, then the Hyper 212+ or Xigimatek Gaia are good choices. (the gaia has similar cooling performance as the hyper on my stock core i7 920 but I normally find it at a cheaper price than the hyper).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082&Tpk=gaia&IsVirtualParent=1

*high res images of my Gaia on my I7.*

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/5016/dsc1082n.jpg (overal system)

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/1331/dsc1083p.jpg (cooler)

If not, then the Hyper mod might need to be done. 

What board do you have and which specific CPU's are you getting. Various combinations will allow you to OC and some won't.  Let us know the specific gear you looking at and we can better comment on your options.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Nice gear - although pricey. :) I notice one things on the board though - the retention holes for the C32 are front to back. Hard to get a good eye on clearance, but you should be able to fit the Hyper 212 on there with one fan at least per. Nice then about the fan clips on the Hyper 212, the fan can be raised a bit if need be to clear other components.

My only concern in the dedicated 2P and 4P setups is trying to get deals - buying brand new is a huge investment. I tend to keep my eye out on sites to pick up deals. Course if you are going to run it for a few years, then it should be worth it. Another thing to consider - look at a 4P board but only get 2 x CPU if that is all you can afford right now. This means later on you can upgrade to a 4 way box. 1 4P will do better then 2 x 2P and be  alot more power efficient as well. Something to consider.

Check on the [H]ard Forum - lot of good info there.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Where do you get your gear Whaler? Iv looked around a little but i couldnt find anywhere that sells refurished stuff.

~Judah

You should check ebay for cpus, I know someone said they appear there at good prices. The g34 cpus, can't remember the names

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I spend a lot of time browsing the etailers for sales... I also use kijiji and ebay. I get some stuff off of [H]ard as well, but you need to be a seriously established folder for that... 

do you know if it is possible for that combination of cpu/mobo to overclock?

~Judah

I am not sure - best spot to search and ask would be over at [H]ard Forum. They have lots of experience with this type of gear...