DSLR camera lens question

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

The ratio is referred to the ratio between the shortest and longest zoom that can be provided by that specific lens. However, the second lens starts off exactly at the maximum zoom of the previous one. So you're getting a total of 3.2 x 3.6 = 11.52 total ratio between the shortest and the longest distance you can achieve across both lenses. 55mm is a fixed focal length, even if the lens starts at 55mm you'll be seeing exactly the same image as with the lens that ends at 55mm. I hope it was clear, it's a bit hard to explain.

I have decided on getting the Nikon D3200 as the price for a bundle was good. However, now that I have looked into it a little more I have come across something that isn't clear to me. The Kit that I bought contains the camera, a 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens and the zoom ratios are 3.2 and 3.6 respectively. What isn't clear to me is what differentiates these two lens as their zoom is almost identical. Any input would be appreciated.

-Adnan

Personally I would just stick the 55-200 on and call it good, it will do most shots good. If need be you could always but a micro lens. 

The difference between them is the mm factor and most likely the shutter speed. I'm guessing they are both af, manual focus is good at time which all af lens's have the options to use. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

The ratio is referred to the ratio between the shortest and longest zoom that can be provided by that specific lens. However, the second lens starts off exactly at the maximum zoom of the previous one. So you're getting a total of 3.2 x 3.6 = 11.52 total ratio between the shortest and the longest distance you can achieve across both lenses. 55mm is a fixed focal length, even if the lens starts at 55mm you'll be seeing exactly the same image as with the lens that ends at 55mm. I hope it was clear, it's a bit hard to explain.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The ratio is referred to the ratio between the shortest and longest zoom that can be provided by that specific lens. However, the second lens starts off exactly at the maximum zoom of the previous one. So you're getting a total of 3.2 x 3.6 = 11.52 total rato between the shortest and the longest distance you can achieve across both lenses. 55mm is a fixed focal length, even if the lens starts at 55mm you'll be seeing exactly the same image as with the lens that ends at 55mm. I hope it was clear, it's a bit hard to explain.

Well I just looked like a moron, my response it retarded compared to this. lol

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Well I just looked like a moron, my response it retarded compared to this. lol

Don't worry xD

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't worry xD

He even has a profile pic of a super vagina, I mean how bada*s is this guy. 

18-55 is a more wider lens. The mm refers to the zoom on a full frame camera. The sensor on the Nikon is most likely a 1.6 crop, as such the lens is about 29 mm - 88 MM, and the other lens being about 88-320 or so. So yes, there is a difference between them.

Edit: you can read more about it here.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Personally I would just stick the 55-200 on and call it good, it will do most shots good. If need be you could always but a micro lens. 

The difference between them is the mm factor and most likely the shutter speed. I'm guessing they are both af, manual focus is good at time which all af lens's have the options to use. 

55mm on a crop sensor camera is around 80mm. I wouldn't recommend sticking with that. It's always good to have multiple lenses for different shooting scenarios. What does a Macro lens have anything to do with the discussion? Maybe you're thinking Prime? 

Shutter speed is determined by the camera, not the lens. D3200 probably has a max shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second. 

18-55 is a more wider lens. The mm refers to the zoom on a full frame camera. The sensor on the Nikon is most likely a 1.6 crop, as such the lens is about 29 mm - 88 MM, and the other lens being about 88-320 or so. So yes, there is a difference between them.

Edit: you can read more about it here.

Nikon crop factor is 1.5. Canon is 1.6 :) 

55mm on a crop sensor camera is around 80mm. I wouldn't recommend sticking with that. It's always good to have multiple lenses for different shooting scenarios. What does a Macro lens have anything to do with the discussion? Maybe you're thinking Prime? 

Shutter speed is determined by the camera, not the lens. D3200 probably has a max shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second. 

Well seeing as I said recommend I don't see what it matters, and for that fact why you even mentioned it. I meant lens speed I had edited a few seconds after the post and added that for some reason.

Thanks for all your input, so as I understand now, the zoom ratio is only between the limits of that particular lens.

-Adnan