What is the problem with downsampling?

itsjoystick

Out of all computer hardware....monitors are by far my weakest point. I understand that downsampling is when you use a monitor at a lower than native resolution, correct? For example, playing a game at 1440p on a 4k monitor. My Question is what is so bad about downsampling? What's to stop me from playing at 1440p on a 4k monitor? I ask this because I plan to purchase two 780 ti matrix's for my new rig, and I might want to play at a lower resolution for games like crysis 3, which two 780tis can't really get 60 fps at 4k.

If you run a monitor with a lower resolution than their native one, it looks like crap. 

some parts of the image might(will definitely) look weird and blurry because of the way that pixels work.

Edited by Snazzy

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Out of all computer hardware....monitors are by far my weakest point. I understand that downsampling is when you use a monitor at a lower than native resolution, correct? For example, playing a game at 1440p on a 4k monitor. My Question is what is so bad about downsampling? What's to stop me from playing at 1440p on a 4k monitor? I ask this because I plan to purchase two 780 ti matrix's for my new rig, and I might want to play at a lower resolution for games like crysis 3, which two 780tis can't really get 60 fps at 4k.

Why not get a 1440p instead then choose between a g-sync ready vs 4K. Personally no 4K ips/va <-at least not worth buying because TN looks quite unattractive & they're all built like 2/10.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Why not get a 1440p instead then choose between a g-sync ready vs 4K. Personally no 4K ips/va <-at least not worth buying because TN looks quite unattractive & they're all built like 2/10.

I have been considering the swift.

Ok, well how about if I downsampled to 1080p? In that case, everything would be proportianate...mean that 1 1080p pixel is the same size as 4 2160p pixels. Would things still look bad?

I have been considering the swift.

The TN on it isn't as bad however it's still should be understand that it'll always be TN. The 120/144hz will be really nice to see & hopefully asus in there next iteration of high res + high refresh-rate panels will come to va/ips although I'd be like a miracle....a paradigm shift :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The TN on it isn't as bad however it's still should be understand that it'll always be TN. The 120/144hz will be really nice to see & hopefully asus in there next iteration of high res + high refresh-rate panels will come to va/ips although I'd be like a miracle....a paradigm shift :)

If I did decide on 1440p, ti would probably be narrowed down to the swift, or the pb278q. I don't know if I would like higher refresh rate or an ips. Not to mention the gsync chip in the swift.

Also, I do have access to a 1080p monitor. Is it possible to render 4k quality, and then compress it to 1080p on the fly? That way I could see how it would perform before I spent the money on a 4k monitor?

If you run a monitor with a lower resolution than their native one, it looks like crap. 

That's a nicer way than how I would have said it...

If I did decide on 1440p, ti would probably be narrowed down to the swift, or the pb278q. I don't know if I would like higher refresh rate or an ips. Not to mention the gsync chip in the swift.

Why not get a 4k monitor and play at 4k...? You'll have to lower the settings but it'll look way better than running it at 1440p.

That's a nicer way than how I would have said it...

Why not get a 4k monitor and play at 4k...? You'll have to lower the settings but it'll look way better than running it at 1440p.

That's a really good point. I just kind of assumed ultra 1440p would looke better than medium 4k. Do you have enough experience to tell me which looks better?

That's a really good point. I just kind of assumed ultra 1440p would looke better than medium 4k. Do you have enough experience to tell me which looks better?

You can run games at high settings because you really don't need anti-aliasing and still get decent frame rates. Of course Ultra on a 1440p monitor will technically have better graphical fidelity than a 4k monitor but if you already have the 4k monitor then you won't need to buy one later. Depends on which route you want to take.