Best Camera to Record Sports?

Hey guys, I'm in high school, and want to record some game film of my soccer, baseball, and swimming matches to send in to some colleges and such.

Currently I only have my LG G2, and an old SD Sony Handycam DCR-SX63, and those aren't really gonna cut it, so I'm looking for a camcorder/ DSLR for under $500, with good autofocus and zoom, I would also like to record at 1080 60p, but 720 60p would also be acceptable.

So what would you guys recommend? The only purpose of this camera would be recording sports, so i don't need it to take good pictures (I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS for that). I was looking at the Canon Vixia HF M500 (used), or the Vixia HF R500 (new).

Here is some game film of me the last 2 years to show the conditions I'll be recording in. (You'll see why I need a camera).

Soccer: http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/ludington-high-school-ludington-mi/5eb6f32385

Swimming: http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/ludington-high-school-ludington-mi/fb8e9adc2a

Baseball: http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/ludington-high-school-ludington-mi/34285058f1

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Gotta say, posting your high school's website on a public forum is probably not a great idea.

Gotta say, posting your high school's website on a public forum is probably not a great idea.

It's not our schools website.

You're not gonna get AF on video in that price range IIRC

You'll have to manually focus which isn't very pleasant for moving subjects. 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

You're not gonna get AF on video in that price range IIRC

You'll have to manually focus which isn't very pleasant for moving subjects.

What do you think the sweet spot is for cameras that do have autofocus?

it does 60fps at 1080p

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, it's more important to have the right lens, then the camera itself, since most DSLR will be capable of recording. For soccer swimming and baseball you would need a long tele lens, something from 100mm or so to atleast 200mm, or get a prime in that focal length.

To be honest, it's more important to have the right lens, then the camera itself, since most DSLR will be capable of recording. For soccer swimming and baseball you would need a long tele lens, something from 100mm or so to atleast 200mm, or get a prime in that focal length.

Thanks for the response, I've been trying to get a grasp on the whole lens thing for a while, I was thinking of grabbing a Canon T3i and a nice aftermarket lens. Are there any that you can recommend?

Also thanks for being the only person with any actual constructive advice since I opened the thread:)

It really depends how much money you got and haw good of deal you can find, since lens cost more then the body itself

It really depends how much money you got and haw good of deal you can find, since lens cost more then the body itself

Oh man, well I'm not saying I'm made of money, but it's not really a problem for me when I find something I like.

How about this one? Literally the first thing that came up when I searched. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-200mm-2-8L-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B000053HBB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410488596&sr=8-1&keywords=200mm+lens

Now since I started the thread I kinda started wanting to get into filming other stuff too (along with sports as I still need to get some stuff out to schools) and I'm like 75% sure I want to go into a field based in media, so I feel like this might be a good investment.

well that is a nice lens, and that would do for sports. Tho if you want to do media, say like linustechtips then that focal length would be way to telephoto (It's practically way too large of focal length for indoors), what I was looking for was something more like Canon 70-200mm F/4 USM, non Is version tho at $700 or so you can get the IS version used or when canon has a large instant rebate which happens every few monthes. yes F/4 is one whole stop smaller then F/2.8 but it's not shabby at all, this lens also makes a very good bang for the buck outdoors wedding lens ( usually most photographers use the 2.8 version which would be over $2000). Tho if you choose to not get the IS version it is best to shoot with a tripod or monopod or something

If you ever go into media, and you need wider primes and is low on budget go look into Rokinon Cine lenses, which will not break your bank/wallet sicne they go for $200-300 brand new, and have decent video/picture quality

well that is a nice lens, and that would do for sports. Tho if you want to do media, say like linustechtips then that focal length would be way to telephoto (It's practically way too large of focal length for indoors), what I was looking for was something more like Canon 70-200mm F/4 USM, non Is version tho at $700 or so you can get the IS version used or when canon has a large instant rebate which happens every few monthes. yes F/4 is one whole stop smaller then F/2.8 but it's not shabby at all, this lens also makes a very good bang for the buck outdoors wedding lens ( usually most photographers use the 2.8 version which would be over $2000). Tho if you choose to not get the IS version it is best to shoot with a tripod or monopod or something

You've been a huge help, man! Thank you, and I'll keep doing my research:)