RAM, Memory:32GB Physical Memory:16GB ... wat

I have a server with an 8 core Opteron and 32GB of ECC RAM. 

This is what Speccy reports:
14732322039_0882008c29_o.png

The RAM is 4x8GB. The OS also only reports 16GB of RAM. 

I'm confused as to how it can know there is 32GB of RAM, but only 16 available. That leads me to believe it's an OS issue, rather than a hardware issue, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas guys? 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think that happens with dual channel. I also think I'm wrong. 50/50

Correct me of I'm wrong.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

What OS are you using?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I have a server with an 8 core Opteron and 32GB of ECC RAM. 

This is what Speccy reports:

14732322039_0882008c29_o.png

The RAM is 4x8GB. The OS also only reports 16GB of RAM. 

I'm confused as to how it can know there is 32GB of RAM, but only 16 available. That leads me to believe it's an OS issue, rather than a hardware issue, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas guys? 

What is the OS?

I think that happens with dual channel. I also think I'm wrong. 50/50

Correct me of I'm wrong.

Well, I see all the RAM in other systems even though it's Dual Channel (I'm not talking about the speed, but the capacity).

What OS are you using?

@Vitalius

OS?

What is the OS?

Sorry, I fail. :| 

Windows 2008 R2 Server. I literally thought to myself "be sure to mention the OS" *doesn't do it* FUUU-

Be sure to note that I can't access more than 16GB of RAM either.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, I see all the RAM in other systems even though it's Dual Channel (I'm not talking about the speed, but the capacity).

Sorry, I fail. :| 

Windows 2008 R2 Server. I literally thought to myself "be sure to mention the OS" *doesn't do it* FUUU-

Be sure to note that I can't access more than 16GB of RAM either.

RAM : 

Maximum: 8 GB RAM (Foundation), 32 GB RAM (Standard), or 2 TB RAM (Enterprise, Datacenter and Itanium-Based Systems)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

RAM : 

Maximum: 8 GB RAM (Foundation), 32 GB RAM (Standard), or 2 TB RAM (Enterprise, Datacenter and Itanium-Based Systems)

14732513880_898c51947f_o.png

† Christian Member †

14732513880_898c51947f_o.png

I took those numbers from wikipedia.

Which motherboard do you have?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I took those numbers from wikipedia.

Yes, but I didn't understand what you were trying to point out. 

I have Enterprise, so 2TB is the limit (like I'd ever get that much Hue^3), and even then, 32GB is the limit for standard so that wouldn't be it and I have no idea what "Foundation" is, but it isn't limited to 8GB. 

I don't know. I'm hoping it's not hardware related. *sigh* that's going to suck if it is.

Which motherboard do you have?

SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-F-O ATX Server Motherboard

† Christian Member †

Server make or motherboard?

Might be worth checking the ram stickers against the supported ram on the specs for the server. Sometimes with say Dell you have to have your modules round In a specific order if they a different in any way

First off, make sure the RAM slots are working, use different slots with just two sticks make sure they can read the correct size/amount. Also, make sure the RAM sticks are correctly, snuggly in place with no objects in the slots, even dust. Check what BIOS reads as being inserted and that there is no funky RAM setting preventing them from being recognized, might need to go back to default settings (save your current settings even if in picture form).

We have some Opteron systems that are flaky with their RAM recognition, one boot up its fine the next it only read half the RAM, reseat and its fine, go for months reboot and its back to half. Obviously that machine no longer runs a critical service but it still works so we still use it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Server make or motherboard?

Might be worth checking the ram stickers against the supported ram on the specs for the server. Sometimes with say Dell you have to have your modules round In a specific order if they a different in any way

I probably should've just not been a derp and posted the entire part list to begin with. My bad. *sigh*

CPU: AMD Opteron 8 core Socket G34

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-F-O ATX Server Motherboard

RAM: Wintec 4x8GB (32GB) 1600MHz ECC Registered RAM

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold certified SUPERNOVA PSU

If you need more parts, let me know. I built it myself.

† Christian Member †

1600 MHz? but does it have JEDEC profiles for 1333 MHz? (which is the maximum frequency that your mb supports...)

You can check that on CPU-z (SPD tab)

Well, Speccy reports the DRAM frequency as 800MHz (basically), which translates to 1600MHz DIMMs.

The server just went down and won't come back up. Great. :| Thanks for the help guys, but new priorities now.

@IdeaStormer, in IPMI, I have this event: 

14 2014/08/07 05:13:32 OEM Memory Uncorrectable Memory ECC @ DIMM2A(CPU1) - Asserted

Joy. :(

† Christian Member †

@IdeaStormer, in IPMI, I have this event: 

14 2014/08/07 05:13:32 OEM Memory Uncorrectable Memory ECC @ DIMM2A(CPU1) - Asserted

Joy. :(

Oh oh... could be bad or not, look what I found here:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5090943

http://serverfault.com/questions/144151/how-seriously-should-i-take-ecc-correctable-error-warnings

Maybe that stick is bad? Time to do the round robin RAM test. If the mobo isn't booting maybe its on its way out, bummer man, guess you're out of the warranty range? Better go count the days. Could also be the power supply, I've had a power supply go bad but in the interrum I got all kinds of weird errors, till it tanked, making me go nuts trying to figure it out.

Just... take a look. It might be incompatible RAM

The RAM has worked fine for months. Good idea though. I found the problem (read below)

Oh oh... could be bad or not, look what I found here:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5090943

http://serverfault.com/questions/144151/how-seriously-should-i-take-ecc-correctable-error-warnings

Maybe that stick is bad? Time to do the round robin RAM test. If the mobo isn't booting maybe its on its way out, bummer man, guess you're out of the warranty range? Better go count the days. Could also be the power supply, I've had a power supply go bad but in the interrum I got all kinds of weird errors, till it tanked, making me go nuts trying to figure it out.

I figured it out. The Motherboard isn't a year old. The warranty is hopefully good on it. (it's the resistor one I showed you pictures of)

So, as it turns out, a 4-pin molex had slowly moved down towards a 4-pin Fan Header beside the RAM sticks. Two of the four female molex pin holes touched two of the four pins on the fan header. I have a nice impression of the pin melting into the molex plastic to know that's what happened. I also saw a light when it arced. 

So, RMA time. :(

† Christian Member †

The RAM has worked fine for months. Good idea though. I found the problem (read below)

I figured it out. The Motherboard isn't a year old. The warranty is hopefully good on it. (it's the resistor one I showed you pictures of)

So, as it turns out, a 4-pin molex had slowly moved down towards a 4-pin Fan Header beside the RAM sticks. Two of the four female molex pin holes touched two of the four pins on the fan header. I have a nice impression of the pin melting into the molex plastic to know that's what happened. I also saw a light when it arced. 

So, RMA time. :(

I thought you had already RMA-ed it! Come on man, you can't leave it like that.

Time to use those Molex covers as well, people think I am anal about using them but man it will prevent crap like that from happening, I have a stash of them on my desk, no power plug of any type is left naked on my systems.

I thought you had already RMA-ed it! Come on man, you can't leave it like that.

Time to use those Molex covers as well, people think I am anal about using them but man it will prevent crap like that from happening, I have a stash of them on my desk, no power plug of any type is left naked on my systems.

I've never even thought about them. I will now.

Yeah, the only problem with it was that the CPU temps were iffy. i.e. CPU core temp was always 0-32C. It worked fine otherwise until now. 

*notes to buy molex covers*

† Christian Member †