Headphone cable is broken, can it be fixed by myself?

A.D.A.M
Go to solution Solved by DigitalHermit,

-snip-

yh

?

If that's a yes, you'd need to cut the inline control and mic  (I'm assuming that they're in the same module) off... Strip around 1 inch from both ends of the wire... Get some sandpaper and rub off the ceramic coating on the wire (do this one wire at a time to avoid confusion)... Slip on some heat-shrink tubing... Solder the matching pairs together (this is important), then test first before sealing with the heat-shrink tubing...

It should last a few months to a few years more, but you won't have an inline mic or a volume control...

So my headphone has been broken for a while and i was thinking if i can fix it myself since the warranty is over.

Here's the problem the inline controller got snagged on something and got torn out.

Pics:

post-66999-0-23076400-1408027454_thumb.j

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

You can definetly try

How do i fix it then?

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

Does it have an inline mic?

You can try bypassing the volume controller if it doesn't...

Solder the matching wires while taking note of left and right...

Can you put the wires so that they make contact?

If not,then you would need a soldering thingy.

(and hot glue maybe)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Does it have an inline mic?

You can try bypassing the volume controller if it doesn't...

Solder the matching wires while taking note of left and right...

yeah it has an inline mic the thing that was ripout was the controller thingy that can control the audio

Match each corresponding cables to eachother and twist them, if you cant get a soldering iron and fuse them together.

yeah it has an inline mic the thing that was ripout was the controller thingy that can control the audio

Would you mind using this pair without a mic?

PS: If it's a digital control, I'm sorry to say that it's a goner (from my limited experience)... You can bypass the inline mic and digital control if you want, and it's easier to do things that way... Else, I can't help you much but recommend you visit and electronics repair shop and ask if they deal with these, or find an audiophile shop which does recabling...

Are these in-ear headphones or actual headphones?

actual ones on ears to be exact

Would you mind using this pair without a mic?

yh

Here's another closeup the earth is connected and for some reason the the red becomes blue and green becomes red

post-66999-0-20535700-1408028662_thumb.j

-snip-

yh

?

If that's a yes, you'd need to cut the inline control and mic  (I'm assuming that they're in the same module) off... Strip around 1 inch from both ends of the wire... Get some sandpaper and rub off the ceramic coating on the wire (do this one wire at a time to avoid confusion)... Slip on some heat-shrink tubing... Solder the matching pairs together (this is important), then test first before sealing with the heat-shrink tubing...

It should last a few months to a few years more, but you won't have an inline mic or a volume control...

?

the module thing was already torn and wasnt connected to the rest of the wires the earth and two wires are still connected

the module thing was already torn and wasnt connected to the rest of the wires the earth and two wires are still connected

It does still work, right? The headphones, I mean....

It does still work, right? The headphones, I mean....

no..., idk  idont have spare cables to test

no..., idk  idont have spare cables to test

The only thing that I can think of right now is recabling the whole thing (which involves the earlier mentioned steps)...

The only thing that I can think of right now is recabling the whole thing (which involves the earlier mentioned steps)...

ah man. I would buy the replacement cables if i could actually find them

ah man. I would buy the replacement cables if i could actually find them

They have removable cables?

They have removable cables?

yes

yes

That makes things much easier...

I'd suggest doing the splicing that I mentioned earlier... You'd have to cut-off that box (completely abandoning the mic and volume controls in the process)...

If you decide on replacing the jack too, here's a pinout diagram...

122312_0549_common35mm11.png

The uncolored/copper-colored wire is usually the ground and I can't recall the colors of the left and right...

-snip-

They're not exactly normal cables here check them out http://solrepublic.com/shop/tracks-replacement-cables.html

Is the method then still the same

They're not exactly normal cables here check them out http://solrepublic.com/shop/tracks-replacement-cables.html

Is the method then still the same

If the volume control controls the device volume, then yes, I think so... Basically, the repair method I mentioned reduces the headphones to a regular pair (with no inline volume control or mic)... In the pinout, the contacts for volume control and mic would either be dead (disconnected) or be used as another ground (assuming that this is an apple style connector)...

If this fails though, you can always head to a shop that sells the cables (or order them online)...

If the volume control controls the device volume, then yes, I think so... Basically, the repair method I mentioned reduces the headphones to a regular pair (with no inline volume control or mic)... In the pinout, the contacts for volume control and mic would either be dead (disconnected) or be used as another ground (assuming that this is an apple style connector)...

If this fails though, you can always head to a shop that sells the cables (or order them online)...

Ok ill try this thanks for the help