Great little sayings from books

Sammael

Now I realize that many of you have only read things that were stapled to your faces by teachers/parents.  But eventually you will read for pleasure and come across little sayings you remembered.

My first is from A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

Another comes from the second book in the stormlight archive.  It needs a bit of setup (SPOILERS)

There is a character that has variable intelligence based on the day.  Each day he shifts from a range of full on retard to genius savant.  On an extremely rare day he was so divinely intelligent he sketched out detailed mappings of future events and how to alter them to save humanity.  Such was the complexity of the sketches that a large bulk of his time is spent trying to decipher the writings and sketches.  On one such day he was rated through a series of mental tests as being only average.  Still, he plodded along with his pedestrian capacities.  He later made an interesting insight that could help his advisers carry out their plans and one adviser said the following.

Adviser: "I think we need to revise the tests; you are hardly average today."

Response:  "You just underestimate the average man."

And with that lovely statement, it gave a bit of hope to all the average joes of the world, do not despair, there is still hope for some contribution even in the midst of all the mental giants who run circles around you!

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I'd love to quote the entire lord of the rings, However i don't think the peeps here would like it. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

"don't second guess yourself" 

-some book somewhere

doing some warm ups before class starts next week, I just wasted almost two whole hours because the fgt that published this dropped his radical and it took me forever to notice

lz7nC4U.png

.edu my ass, did NOBODY proofread this

Error: 410

"A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do we know that his future will not be equal to our present? If he reaches the age of forty or fifty, and has not made himself heard of, then indeed he will not be worth being regarded with respect."

-Confucius. The analects

"Do nothing that is of no use"

-Miamoto musashi.The book of five rings

I really like this one.

"Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, Because we are born selfish. Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to. Because we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs, Something that no other species has ever aspired to do"

-Richard Dawkins. The selfish gene

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"