GPU upgrade problems, could it be my PSU?

StreelyDan

Hey all,

I just upgraded from a Radeon 7850 to an R9 280x OC 3Gb from Gigabyte.

After installing the card and updating the catalyst drivers, everything seemed fine. normal computing tasks displayed perfectly and playing back video in XBMC worked flawlessly.

My issue is that any time I start up a game, it crashed out within the first 5 minutes...Menus within the game are fine but once im in the game playing, I'm seeing artifacting and then it crashes out to desktop, occasionally with the message "AMD catalyst drivers quit and have resumed successfully" or something to that effect.

Im wondering if the root problem is an underpowered PSU. I have a Corsair TX550M modular PSU (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/enthusiast-series-modular-tx550m-80-plus-bronze-certified-550-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply[1] ). I run an optical drive, a ssd and 2 mechanical drives.

The PSU calculators ive used online vary wildly in their recommendation from 450w (extreme outervision http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jspto 872w (newegg http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator. I did look up my card on gigabyte's website and they recommend a 600w.

Would upgrading to something like a 750w solve my problem? just want to make sure that if i drop another $100 or so that it will solve my problem.

Link to pcpartpicker (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/streelydan/saved/MR4Ycf)

Thanks for the help!

650 Watt should be more then enough. 

Try to run your pc without the GPU, maybe there is a error in your system. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

-snip-

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

550W should be more then enough for a 280X, however I would try getting a higher wattage PSU from a nearby store if you can and see if it works. That way if the problem isn't solved then you can return the new PSU easily.

"Rawr XD"

Reinstall your drivers

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Hey all,

I just upgraded from a Radeon 7850 to an R9 280x OC 3Gb from Gigabyte.

After installing the card and updating the catalyst drivers, everything seemed fine. normal computing tasks displayed perfectly and playing back video in XBMC worked flawlessly.

My issue is that any time I start up a game, it crashed out within the first 5 minutes...Menus within the game are fine but once im in the game playing, I'm seeing artifacting and then it crashes out to desktop, occasionally with the message "AMD catalyst drivers quit and have resumed successfully" or something to that effect.

Im wondering if the root problem is an underpowered PSU. I have a Corsair TX550M modular PSU (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/enthusiast-series-modular-tx550m-80-plus-bronze-certified-550-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply[1] ). I run an optical drive, a ssd and 2 mechanical drives.

The PSU calculators ive used online vary wildly in their recommendation from 450w (extreme outervision http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jspto 872w (newegg http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator. I did look up my card on gigabyte's website and they recommend a 600w.

Would upgrading to something like a 750w solve my problem? just want to make sure that if i drop another $100 or so that it will solve my problem.

Link to pcpartpicker (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/streelydan/saved/MR4Ycf)

Thanks for the help!

It is known issue I had same problem when i had AMD GPU either re install drivers or downgrade them and try again. Why AMD is punishing their user base is beyond me :D

Reinstall your drivers

This, I've tried varied drivers, and they ALL have random issues.

13.12 most stable, 14.4 is pretty good (plus Mantle)

The 14.1/14.2 and such gave BSOD/Blackscreens and issues.

13.12 and 14.4 have worked countless times in multiple machines.

Even they have issues for other peoples PC's.

Nature of the Beast, trial and error.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You were suppose to first delete all GPU drivers before installing the new card and then load the new drivers then install the card

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

You were suppose to first delete all GPU drivers before installing the new card.......................................................................... and then load the new drivers then install the card

What the..... your wrong mate.... don't do that :P read below.

I get the first part, stands to reason. But GPU drivers work with Hardware Detection, meaning the card should be installed first.

Install the Hardware first before GPU drivers/software.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You were suppose to first delete all GPU drivers before installing the new card and then load the new drivers then install the card

So I did do a "express uninstall" (or whatever they call it) of all the amd catalyst drivers and reinstalled the latest version, but its sounding like I need to go back to an older version, does AMD still host those on their site?

So I did do a "express uninstall" (or whatever they call it) of all the amd catalyst drivers and reinstalled the latest version, but its sounding like I need to go back to an older version, does AMD still host those on their site?

I'm not sure if they do

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Thanks for the help everyone, I've discovered a fix/ wrinkle for my issue...

My model of r9 280X is the 3Gb factory overclock edition. I used the included OC guru app to dial back the clock speed from 1100mhz to 1000mhz and it seems to have fixed my stability issues. I was able to play WatchDogs and Titanfall for a few hours last night without artifacting or crashing out.

So im wondering what is the root cause of the instability, is it possible that the factory overclock is just unstable? Or could there be some other cause within my system?

It might  be a bad gpu,If you still have your 7850 i would slap that in,and send back the R9 280X for a new one.

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset