Should I get a cutlass, avenger, or freelancer

Go to solution Solved by Wauthar,

Looking at your description of what you want to do, the Cutlass would fit best. It is a multi crew ship (Avenger is not), it can be heavily armed, has a tractor beam for salvaging or "surprise salvaging", and is generally considered by the public as the pirate ship.

Freelancer isn't a bad choice either, but that one is more geared towards transportation and goods hauling (the basic Hull, that is).

If you really want to go balls to the wall in terms of crew and weapons, go Constellation (Connie!), but that may be way out of budget. :P

Your call.

I am planning on getting into Star Citizen and was wondering which ship should I get. I plan to be a mercenary, pirate, and trader and would like to have lots of guns. I am looking more towards multi-crew ships so me and my mates can play together. I don't want to spend more then 150usd. Also would a r9 280 and fx8320 be able to handle it on a Rift?

Edit: added 4th option as a joke, no offence anyone

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

What the hell is Star Citizen? Why does things for a game cost 150USD? Where do you get so much money you can spend on video games? I have so many questions!

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

What the hell is Star Citizen? Why does things for a game cost 150USD? Where do you get so much money you can spend on video games? I have so many questions!

Some of us have spent a loooot on SC. Myself included :P

Edit: A cutlass would be the best out of the 3. It can support 2 crew, has way better storage than the avenger and will pack a punch when fighting. A freelancer would be better if you're more into trading and the avenger is better for bounty hunting.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

I want to help the cause while benefiting myself ingame, like how rich people use charity for a tax write off-just less selfish, I think.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

OP: any of those ships is good @samotage has it correct in his reply and it all depends on what you see yourself doing, remember that you can always sell and buy your dream ship in the persistent universe when it comes round and probably also equip most ships to sort of do any task within reason of course. so you aren't stuck with it forever.

Star Citizen is a space simulator game created by Cloud Imperium Games and is the brainchild of Chris Roberts think Freelancer, wing commander, etc. More info on it can be found at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

LTT has created an organisation think group within the game called the UOLTT and you may notice the StarCitizen subforum is here for its usage, feel free to browse around and see some of the stuff that goes on.

Lets just say in essence of the game... it is a huge game and is basically customer funded, there is no publisher paying for it to be developed so when I put down a bit of cash on an imaginary spaceship I am buying the game and contributing to its development currently this has raised $49,511,920 so not a small amount. it is also aiming to be stupidly large with space fighting, fps, commerce, trading, scavenging, piracy and basically any other thing you can think of doing included. it also looks damn pretty!

I get the money to buy imaginary spaceships thanks to my job and definitely not enough haha other people get the money elsewhere (I hope at their jobs).

As for questions ask away!

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Looking at your description of what you want to do, the Cutlass would fit best. It is a multi crew ship (Avenger is not), it can be heavily armed, has a tractor beam for salvaging or "surprise salvaging", and is generally considered by the public as the pirate ship.

Freelancer isn't a bad choice either, but that one is more geared towards transportation and goods hauling (the basic Hull, that is).

If you really want to go balls to the wall in terms of crew and weapons, go Constellation (Connie!), but that may be way out of budget. :P

Your call.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

OP: any of those ships is good @samotage has it correct in his reply and it all depends on what you see yourself doing, remember that you can always sell and buy your dream ship in the persistent universe when it comes round and probably also equip most ships to sort of do any task within reason of course. so you aren't stuck with it forever.

Star Citizen is a space simulator game created by Cloud Imperium Games and is the brainchild of Chris Roberts think Freelancer, wing commander, etc. More info on it can be found at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

LTT has created an organisation think group within the game called the UOLTT and you may notice the StarCitizen subforum is here for its usage, feel free to browse around and see some of the stuff that goes on.

Lets just say in essence of the game... it is a huge game and is basically customer funded, there is no publisher paying for it to be developed so when I put down a bit of cash on an imaginary spaceship I am buying the game and contributing to its development currently this has raised $49,511,920 so not a small amount. it is also aiming to be stupidly large with space fighting, fps, commerce, trading, scavenging, piracy and basically any other thing you can think of doing included. it also looks damn pretty!

I get the money to buy imaginary spaceships thanks to my job and definitely not enough haha other people get the money elsewhere (I hope at their jobs).

As for questions ask away!

How many players are there currently? Do i need a super-PC to play it? Why don't people pirate (Download) ships, or is it not possible? Is it F2P, or do i have to buy a ship to play? This game sounds amazing, is it like a strategy game, and what is the goal of it?

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

How many players are there currently? Do i need a super-PC to play it? Why don't people pirate (Download) ships, or is it not possible? Is it F2P, or do i have to buy a ship to play? This game sounds amazing, is it like a strategy game, and what is the goal of it?

That is a lot of questions, I will try and answer them.

1. There are currently 518,720 people who have access to the game right now.
  2. You will need a pretty good pc to play it when it launches.
  3. Well for one that would be illegal and second since this is an online game it would be very hard to do as the game would be monitored to prevent such fraud.
  4. It will not be F2P. It will follow the GW2 model of buying the game once to play it with possible microtransactions. But every ship that you can get will be available with in-game money and you will be able to go anywhere and do anything. The only thing i see being purchasable with real money is cosmetic stuff if that.
  5. The game incorporates several different game modes it is "mainly" a space simulator but also will feature a fully fledged FPS game. It is Multiplayer but also features a Single player campaign. It also will have a fully fledged economy system and so on.

If that didn't help check out this FAQ: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/142641-unofficial-uoltt-faq/

If you have more questions just ask.

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

The amount of backers is currently over 500,000. You need a rather high-end PC to run it, because it uses CryEngine 3 (soon to be own made CE4) and the level of detail is very high.

Pirating ships is in no way possible (as far a I know), although there is some way to get other ships in your hangar, but they aren't flyable.

Basically, you contribute to the development of the game by pledging a certain amount of money. You just happen to get a ship with the corresponding amount of money plus some extras. That is how you need to see it.

The genre will be all over the place, but will be first and foremost a space simulator. There will be flying, FPS elements, trading, combat, an own and full economy. You can do whatever you may like in SPAAAACE!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Thanks for all your guy's answers I plan on getting a Cutlass and outfitting it with all the big guns I can get. Hopefully there will be a market for privateers to represent the pride of the UEE.

Thanks for all your guy's answers I plan on getting a Cutlass and outfitting it with all the big guns I can get. Hopefully there will be a market for privateers to represent the pride of the UEE.

You'll be happy with your choice. Cutlass should match your play style and needs.

I personally went with freelancer as I wanted a bigger cargo space but cutlass will deliver some serious punch.

I also made an attempt at an answer... the faq might be a bit out of date.... not enough time to update it all grrrrr. well here goes.

How many players are there currently?

Currently the rsi website puts the number of citizens at 519277.

Do i need a super-PC to play it?

Fudge knows! as it stands you need a decentish pc, look at my specs and then take into account I get about 50-60 fps on max settings. so not all that bad but things will change due to the alpha version state of the current release.

Why don't people pirate (Download) ships, or is it not possible?

I am sure people must be able to but for the moment it really doesn't matter as everyone has access to the same ships in the wing commander module. it would only be a problem with the persistent universe and even then I am sure due to the fact it is on RSI servers they will be able to control this. You can download programs that will modify the game files to give you the models of the ships in the hangar, I have used this method to have a look at the ships but it in no way modifies your RSI ship listing.

Is it F2P, or do i have to buy a ship to play?

You have to buy a ship to play and a pass to the alpha modules if you want to play now, the cheapest starts at about $45 for the auroura (off the top of my head, too lazy to look it up) going up to ships in the hundreds. it is a one time purchase and you can also purchase ships in game once the persistent universe is up and running.

This game sounds amazing, is it like a strategy game, and what is the goal of it?

It does sound amazing doesn't it? it from what I can understand is any game you wish it to be, you can do what ever it is you like from piracy to mining, haul and transport, bounty hunting... gun running ,racing... basically anything there will be an element of strategy I am sure especially within the organisation roles in the verse. the goal well... what ever you want it to be...at least for the persistent universe, the squadron 42 story is not out yet.  

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx