Stop my GPU from automatically overclocking

newcster2

SOLVED -

Just reduced the base clock speed and now when the card boosts itself it still goes over the advertised boost clock speed but is MUCH more stable now!  I wouldn't really consider this under-clocking my card because it is still running at a higher speed than advertised!

Very simple, I have the Gigabyte 780 ti GHZ Edition with an 1150Mhz boost clock.  When I run FurMark, the GPU never goes above the base clock of 1084, and it never crashes.  When I run Battlefield 4, it will instantly boost past the standard boost clock (1150) and go straight up to 1215Mhz.  Battlefield 4 constantly freezes, crashes itself, crashes nvidia drivers, and even causes BSOD.  I am assuming, since I have tried literally everything else, that running at 1215Mhz is too unstable for my card and I need to stop it from going that fast.  But how?

Edit:  Unless you somehow can give me reason to believe my card is actually broken PLEASE don't sit here and tell me to RMA the card.  As I just mentioned in a reply, only Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs crash.

Edit: In the most recent post I am asking for information on where to get a custom BIOS for my GV-N78TGHZ-3GD  and how to apply it, desperate for help on this, thanks!

download msi afterburner and set the overclock yourself? I dunno because my card doesn't boost by itself

RMA IT if all else doesn't work.

Why would I RMA a card that doesn't hiccup once while running FurMark for 15 minutes with 100% load.  I only get crashes in Battlefield 4 and Watch_Dogs, not even other high-demand games like Metro: LL will crash.

Why would I RMA a card that doesn't hiccup once while running FurMark for 15 minutes with 100% load.  I only get crashes in Battlefield 4 and Watch_Dogs, not even other high-demand games like Metro: LL will crash.

Clean the dust and reapply thermal paste on the gpu. 

Try using MSI afterburner to set the core clock and disable turbo?
15 minutes of Furmark isn't much, you'll want to do it overnight to check if it's really stable.

Some companies do 48 hours just to ensure that cards are stable, so overnight isn't too long.

Also what temperatures are you getting in battlefield 4 compared to furmark?

Edited by TheRunningOtaku

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

The card is about a month old, I am looking at it right now as I'm typing this and I don't see a speck of dust.

Turn up the voltage and power limit top the max without touching the clock speeds. This should make it stable at 1200MHz+

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is definitely NOT a thermal issue.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The card is about a month old, I am looking at it right now as I'm typing this and I don't see a speck of dust.

if the card is more weird then replace it.

There is no way to disable the GPU Boost 2.0 software thingy, BUT what you can do is underclock your card. Since it runs fine at 1150 mhz drop the core down until it is stable and the card can boost without crashing. 

It's a bf4 issue not a GPU issue. Happens to me in the same way. If you download an aftermarket overclocking bios they disable boost. Google how to overvolt a Titan and the first link will give you a bunch of bios' to flash. The post is by gregster on overclockers UK I believe.

But you should RMA the card in all honesty.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Turn up the voltage and power limit top the max without touching the clock speeds. This should make it stable at 1200MHz+

oN2boow.png

Power target max is 106%, Over Voltage +25.0mV - should I set this any higher or just try it like this for now?

oN2boow.png

Power target max is 106%, Over Voltage +25.0mV - should I set this any higher or just try it like this for now?

Try it and if it still crashes then up it another 25mv

Spoiler

Because

I am assuming, since I have tried literally everything else, that running at 1215Mhz is too unstable for my card and I need to stop it from going that fast.

Edit:  Unless you somehow can give me reason to believe my card is actually broken PLEASE don't sit here and tell me to RMA the card.  As I just mentioned in a reply, only Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs crash.

I fail to see how you are fine with the card having a problem, and rather have it work slow than have it replaced.

A card that is stable only at low speeds is NOT stable.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Try it and if it still crashes then up it another 25mv

For the first time in a week I just got through an entire round of BF4 without crashing.  I also no longer notice small spikes in the in-game frametime graph. Thank you.

I will report back later if problem still persists/doesn't persist.

-snip-

The Gigabyte 780 ti GHZ Edition is the highest base overclocked 780ti you can buy to my knowledge, and the default voltages are the same as any other 780ti, perhaps Enderman here has given me the simple solution to this problem.

I owned the Card myself half a year ago - mine had faulty VRAM that wasn't stable at stockspeeds. Maybe that's the same for you, just try to check that.

I tried lowering the memory clock by 50 multiple times, did not change anything.

For the first time in a week I just got through an entire round of BF4 without crashing.  I also no longer notice small spikes in the in-game frametime graph. Thank you.

I will report back later if problem still persists/doesn't persist.

Alright awesome :D

You're welcome.

Spoiler

Alright awesome :D

You're welcome.

Later in the second round it crashed again, going to kick it up another notch.

Later in the second round it crashed again, going to kick it up another notch.

ok just do this until you find it is 100% stable.

Its fine to bump up voltage as much as you need as long as you keep an eye on your temps.

Spoiler

Can't really complain about it crashing in Watch_Dogs, that game is a minefield of trouble.

DAZZA THE DRAGON, MEMER AND KING OF DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW.

ok just do this until you find it is 100% stable.

Its fine to bump up voltage as much as you need as long as you keep an eye on your temps.

4NIynK9.png

Cranked it all the way up to this, was still getting the crashing just slightly less frequently.  Then I noticed in GPU-Z that the voltage would not increase over 1.175V, despite Nvidia Inspector showing any voltage from 1187.5mV to 1200mV.  So it appears that although I can attempt to over volt with Inspector the card refuses to go over a set frequency.  Will I need to flash the GPU with a custom bios to get over that barrier?  Is there an ln2 bios switch on this card?