AMD Cpu question

so yea, i didnt really know where to put this, but i thought i would ask, i use IC Diamond thermal paste on my amd FX 8120 cpu, and when removing the cooler there is one huge problem, the cpu gets ripped out of the socket with the cooler, afterwards i can easily pull it off, but it seems (unlike intel brackets) the amd bracket is a peice of junk that risks your cpu whenever you replace the thermal paste, and on top of that, amd cpus have pins, increasing the chance of damageing your processor.

there hasnt been a time where i have removed my cooler without the cpu getting torn out of the socket. so im wondering, why? just why?

You sound heavy handed mate. I've handled a couple Athlon/Phenom's in my time and none of those chips had the issue you speak of. You just have to treat it with care. As should anyone, handling computer components.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Perhaps it's an issue with your motherboard? I don't think it should come out that easily normally.

Have you ever considered holding down the CPU while taking off the cooler? Or doing it more gently?

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Twist the heatsink a bit before pulling it out... It will help the thermal paste to lose some adhesion to the CPU...

Take care of those pins...

Have you ever considered holding down the CPU while taking off the cooler? Or doing it more gently?

for that to work i would have to have spaghetti fingers

for that to work i would have to have spaghetti fingers

I have linguini fingers

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

i would have to press on it and twist it to work, maybe that would fix the problem... considering even with the lever pushed down i could pull the cpu out with my fingers, not easily, but not to difficult to do either. i no longer have a warranty on the mobo, i guess its fine though, since when the heatsink is fixed in place the cpu isnt going anywhere.

(you would think amd would rethink their socket and cpu design a little, considering theres no plate to hold it in place at all, so its left up to the pins being secured in place and thats it)