DoTA 2 freeze and not responding

nicholaswillems

Hello there,

So this is a problem that started recently and I haven't been able to play the game every since.

When I start DoTA 2, I come at the usual screen where I can choose play, watch etc. on the top. Everything is fine, but when I press 'play' to select my gamemode, it goes to that page and completely freezes. When I try to open taskmanager then (which takes a few minutes somehow), I see it is not responding and close it.

What I have tried so far:

- Reinstall the game

- Verify the in-game files

- Wait hours for it to respond

- Close every other program and try to play it

Anyone knows a solution?

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Hello there,

So this is a problem that started recently and I haven't been able to play the game every since.

When I start DoTA 2, I come at the usual screen where I can choose play, watch etc. on the top. Everything is fine, but when I press 'play' to select my gamemode, it goes to that page and completely freezes. When I try to open taskmanager then (which takes a few minutes somehow), I see it is not responding and close it.

What I have tried so far:

- Reinstall the game

- Verify the in-game files

- Wait hours for it to respond

- Close every other program and try to play it

Anyone knows a solution?

Try to put it into windowed mode and let me know what happens 

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

In your Steam client, go to Settings > Account, and check if you're participating in the Steam Beta Update. If you are, try setting the option to NONE and then exiting and signing back into Steam. See if this works. If it doesn't or you aren't, try reinstalling the Steam client itself (not DotA). There should be a guide somewhere but I'll help find one if need be.

I'm not guaranteeing this will fix the issue but supposedly the client gets screwed up from accessing the Beta Update participation, or the client was messed up because of the most recent Beta update. Whether or not you opt out afterward doesn't make a difference most of the time, from the sounds of it anyway. I've got issues of my own w/the Steam client/Dota specifically because of this but I don't feel like uninstalling a bunch of crap to fix it. It's all on Valve.

In your Steam client, go to Settings > Account, and check if you're participating in the Steam Beta Update. If you are, try setting the option to NONE and then exiting and signing back into Steam. See if this works. If it doesn't or you aren't, try reinstalling the Steam client itself (not DotA). There should be a guide somewhere but I'll help find one if need be.

I'm not guaranteeing this will fix the issue but supposedly the client gets screwed up from accessing the Beta Update participation, or the client was messed up because of the most recent Beta update. Whether or not you opt out afterward doesn't make a difference most of the time, from the sounds of it anyway. I've got issues of my own w/the Steam client/Dota specifically because of this but I don't feel like uninstalling a bunch of crap to fix it. It's all on Valve.

Usually it's set to the beta update? at least that's what fixes the "connecting to dota 2 servers" problem :S

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

It's causing issues on both ends, like I said Valve needs to fix things because workarounds aren't actually working.

It could definitely be something else anyway, I just wanted you to try it.

There's something else it could be now that I think about it, but I've never heard of this problem with DotA. You'll have to wait a bit to let me try and find more info.

Alright, a few options here that I've tried before and didn't see anything fixed from it but this might help with crashing.

Go to your Steam Library, rightclick DotA 2 and go to Properties. Click "Set Launch Options" and try adding these to it:

-heapsize 2097152

-nod3d9ex

See if the problem with clicking "play" goes away, and then see if tabbing out and going to Task Manager is worse or the same after (even if play works). If it's worse, use "-heapsize 1048576" instead. If it doesn't help to reduce the value, just delete it as it's not really necessary.

If you experience any sort of instability even if one of them solves the problem, I recommend removing either command from your DotA 2 launch options. Neither are damaging settings, it's just that these are some obscure workarounds for various things that went wrong in the past for people and I'd be surprised to see them work here at all.

Stil looking for that other thing I was thinking about. Can't remember the name of it.

Edit: There's many other possible fixes you might wanna try here - http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=29735. No promises, but you're better off looking thru all of that than me.

Alright, a few options here that I've tried before and didn't see anything fixed from it but this might help with crashing.

Go to your Steam Library, rightclick DotA 2 and go to Properties. Click "Set Launch Options" and try adding these to it:

-heapsize 2097152

-nod3d9ex

See if the problem with clicking "play" goes away, and then see if tabbing out and going to Task Manager is worse or the same after (even if play works). If it's worse, use "-heapsize 1048576" instead. If it doesn't help to reduce the value, just delete it as it's not really necessary.

If you experience any sort of instability even if one of them solves the problem, I recommend removing either command from your DotA 2 launch options. Neither are damaging settings, it's just that these are some obscure workarounds for various things that went wrong in the past for people and I'd be surprised to see them work here at all.

Stil looking for that other thing I was thinking about. Can't remember the name of it.

Edit: There's many other possible fixes you might wanna try here - http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=29735. No promises, but you're better off looking thru all of that than me.

Tried everything and it still happens. Damn. Thanks for the help though!

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3