Power supply noise

Filippus

Typing from phone

I bought the CS650W 80+ Gold modular over a week ago. There has been problems with the pc alongtheway but when everything was fixed, i got a good 5 days to game till i noticed a fan noise from my psu. Its not a coil whine but more the blades of the fan hitting something, ive checked inside nothing weird but that the noise reduce when i game. Its at its loudest peek when im whatching a movie or web browsing.

Ive checked cables, the rig is new except some hdds and gpu.

And the noise is not constant in idle it comes and goes in periods and each period lasts long

I hear this through my headset watching movies and such

Help!

And the noise is not constant in idle it comes and goes in periods and each period lasts long

Even in idle? If its that loud - probably a problem with the fan bearing. May be you should make use of your warranty before it does some real damage.

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Even in idle? If its that loud - probably a problem with the fan bearing. May be you should make use of your warranty before it does some real damage.

That's the thing, it comes and goes, so weird. I can use it perfectly without any problems then the sound appears and it's just overwhelming.

I can use it perfectly without any problems.

But if it`s the bearing that fan will fail for sure. It`s just a matter of time, then the PSU will fry, probably taking few other components with it. If it have overheat protection it will shutdown itself. In any case is not safe to use it in the current state.

---

Btw is the sound like this one >?

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

But if it`s the bearing that fan will fail for sure. It`s just a matter of time, then the PSU will fry, probably taking few other components with it. If it have overheat protection it will shutdown itself. In any case is not safe to use it in the current state.

---

Btw is the sound like this one >?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0qrLBY0TE

not exactly like that but the closest video to describe it. So what should i do? 

In spite of this

it comes and goes

There is also a possibility (very rare) for a crack somewere on one or more of the blades that can cause erratic behaviour leading to such strong noise.

So what should i do? 

Like I said earlier such noise is not normal, so I would suggest to make use of the warranty before the problem goes big and lead to bad consequence. :)

My best advice is to resort to your warranty. Good luck

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

In spite of this

There is also a possibility (very rare) for a crack somewere on one or more of the blades that can cause erratic behaviour leading to such strong noise.

Like I said earlier such noise is not normal, so I would suggest to make use of the warranty before the problem goes big and lead to bad consequence. :)

My best advice is to resort to your warranty. Good luck

I'm going to send the power supply back tomorrow and for now I'm borrowing a power supply from a friend.