Naked CPU(3770K) What is the best thermal paste brand/application method(i.e. line, dot, batman)

Hey all, I have a 3770k in a custom loop atm, and I'm looking to shave a few degrees off. Just wondering what the best thermal paste I can use is, and the best application of it. :D

Gelid Extreme. As for application I would try with either a kind of egg shaped pea or a very thin line

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Linus likes IC Diamond. I use the grain of rice method and I've used Arctic Silver and liked it.

Hey all, I have a 3770k in a custom loop atm, and I'm looking to shave a few degrees off. Just wondering what the best thermal paste I can use is, and the best application of it. :D

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips! I'd recommend Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Silver. The application method between pea, line, batman, etc doesn't really matter. No matter which way you do it it still gets spread around, and it doesn't have to be perfectly spread. There's a metal heat spreader over the CPU die for a reason.

"Rawr XD"

do you mean naked die?

i dunno about that, but between IHS and cooler you want a vertical line in the middle of the IHS. this is optimal because the LGA-11xx series processors have a long die oriented vertically under the IHS.

for a bare die on laptops I usually spread because I fear the pressure of the HSF isn't enough to spread.

I'm not up to date on the newer pastes to use (i still rely on good ol' Arctic Silver 5) but as for the application method, it's down to personal preference. Some people swear by putting a pea sized blob in the middle & letting the pressure from applying the heatsink to spread it, some prefer the line method, others spread it with a credit card or something similar.

I personally spread the paste as thin as possible with an old credit card.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

There's a metal heat spreader over the CPU die for a reason.

Missed the pretty obvious "naked" part of the title?

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

MX-4 for non-conductive thermal paste.

If you don't care about that get AS5/IC Diamond

Oh and don't forget to check before turning on that there's contact between CPU and heatspeader

im using AS5 on core die itself for last 7 months nothing happened. (its not that conductive lol my core die is even scratched)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

There's a lot of good choices already mentioned, my suggestion would be cool laboratories liquid ultra, I don't know how good it is though - Someone enlighten me? :)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

There's a lot of good choices already mentioned, my suggestion would be cool laboratories liquid ultra, I don't know how good it is though - Someone enlighten me? :)

absolutely no , LLU is not a good choice on core die or even heat spreader itself since its really to remove residue ,temps are nice but its not good for anything but just use it and forget it until it dies.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

absolutely no , LLU is not a good choice on core die or even heat spreader itself since its really to remove residue ,temps are nice but its not good for anything but just use it and forget it until it dies.

But I know of someone who used it on a core die and he reported noteworthy improvements, said he was able to achieve a better OC as well

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

But I know of someone who used it on a core die and he reported noteworthy improvements, said he was able to achieve a better OC as well

i have cut 20c with as5 i dont it is worth to use that one for 25c difference.

i have cut 20c with as5 i dont it is worth to use that one for 25c difference.

I don't understand what you're saying

Missed the pretty obvious "naked" part of the title?

Why would you do direct-die

"Rawr XD"

Why would you do direct-die

Because it skips the resistance of moving the heat from the die to the IHS and from the IHS to the block itself?

Doesn't  IC Diamond scratch the life out of the di?

I use Promilatech PK-3 because it's really easy to work with (compared to CoolLabs Pro/Ultra) and right up there with the best:

02-Air-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

04-GPU-Cooling.png

The best application method is putting less than a pea sized amount in the center of the IHS and then tightening down your waterblock in a diamond pattern. This will spread the TIM evenly throughout. 

Thanks for all your opinions! I'm going to go with either Gelid or Prolimatech, I'm a sucker for good benchmark results. It looks like the line method is my best bet according to that Intel link, :D