[Tweaking] Overclocking my 4790K

So I'm bored and decided to play around with this thing to see what I can get it to do for a dirty overclock. Specs are in my sig, I'll continue posting some updates as things progress...

Right now I'm trying 4.7 GHz @ 1.20V. It's passed 9 iterations of IBT set to "Very High" (each lasting ~55-60s each) and then after 10 or so iterations I'll see if it passes 10+ minutes of Prime95.

4.8GHz did not boot at all @ 1.20V and lasted almost 10 seconds @ 1.21V!

Current temperatures during IBT are in the low 80s (as reported by RealTemp). Running custom water loop with ambient room temp of ~20C it does feel a bit high, but w/e.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

1.20V doesn't seem to be enough for 4.7 as is crashed in P95 (SmallFFT) after about a minute and a half.

1.25V (stock), likewise wasn't enough to last even a minute @ 4.8GHz

Currently just started 10 runs of IBT (Very High) @ 4.7GHz (1.25V).

Initial temps reaching 90C O.o

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

That's the big step for 4790ks; reaching 4.8ghz with no more than 1.25v because 4.7 on these cpus is just mainstream now.

If you can reach that,you got yourself an above average overclocker.

Temps are abnormally high. (240/280mm rad?) I would check that out if i were you.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

That's the big step for 4790ks; reaching 4.8ghz with no more than 1.25v because 4.7 on these cpus is just mainstream now.

If you can reach that,you got yourself an above average overclocker.

Temps are abnormally high. (240/280mm rad?) I would check that out if i were you.

I got mine on launch day lol! Also, this is honestly my first serious attempt to overclock so I have no real prior experience other than what I've read.

4.8 did crash within the first minute of stress testing though as said above @ 1.25V.

I'm running a CPU/GPU loop (HD 7970 idling @ 42C) with dual 240mm rads (45mm + 60mm thickness). Might try reapplying the thermal paste as there doesn't seem to be anything "off" about the loop. So far I've just disregarded it as being the stress test being quite agressive as idle load and "gaming load" temps seem quite average and comparable to what I got with my old 2600k @ stock. Running Prime95 in "Blend" mode is 30C cooler than the "Small FFTs" mode. (That's just first pass though, I'm quite a noob at this as you can see).

UPDATE: 4.7GHz (1.25V) passed 10 iterations of IBT! Now to see about Prim- BSOD after 3 minutes!

Seems like 4.6GHZ @ 1.2V might be the sweet spot in terms of keeping a nice low voltage, I'll do some more extensive testing with these clocks, starting with Prime95 (Blend) for 10 or so minutes and then I'll switch it to Small FFTs for another 10 or so minutes.

Seems like 4.6GHZ @ 1.2V might be the sweet spot in terms of keeping a nice low voltage, I'll do some more extensive testing with these clocks, starting with Prime95 (Blend) for 10 or so minutes and then I'll switch it to Small FFTs for another 10 or so minutes.

Here's an image to show what's happening so far:

post-18004-0-87864100-1407457032_thumb.j

So far so good! 20 minutes in with Prime95 (Blend) and no failures or instabilities yet. Considering it's almost 2:30 am here, I might just leave it on over night and see how if it's still functioning when I wake up.

So far so good! 20 minutes in with Prime95 (Blend) and no failures or instabilities yet. Considering it's almost 2:30 am here, I might just leave it on over night and see how if it's still functioning when I wake up.

I found increased stability by running a LLC setting of 5 out of 9 (ASUS mobo). Just enough that the Vin doesn't fluctuate underload or idle wether droop or boost. With 1.9v target. To be clear that's CPU voltage in not Vcore.

Rofl try 5.3 @ 1.55v. 2600k lol

That voltage seems quite over my comfort zone tbh xD

I found increased stability by running a LLC setting of 5 out of 9 (ASUS mobo). Just enough that the Vin doesn't fluctuate underload or idle wether droop or boost. With 1.9v target. To be clear that's CPU voltage in not Vcore.

Alright, I'll try that!

Also don't use Prime95 for Haswell. IBT is better or AIDA64.

Who not? I recall v28 (released end of May this year) was made to work better with Haswell specifically.

Version 28 released!

This latest version of prime95 has been optimized for Intel's new AVX2 instruction set. Owners of Haswell CPUs (Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx) will see a significant performance increase.

Nice, I can't make it more than a minute through Aida 64 at 4.7 ghz and 1.3V.

BCLK could go up to 100.5

Giving an actual effective 4.7Ghz, cos you can :)

If ya picky like me that is, that stuff drives me nuts. 4.698Ghz instead of 4.7Ghz

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz