The worst time to upgrade? I think so.

Sitting in the corner with my ancient GTX 280 and Q6600, I felt like this summer was the perfect time to revamp my system. That is until I did some research......

I was excited with yesterday's GTX 780 launch. I really wanted to get this card (and hey, I deserve it don't I? I think I've waited long enough ^). Then I heard about AMD's Volcanic Islands release. It simply doesn't make sense to pay for overpriced, low performing NVIDIA cards when everyone knows that in the fourth quarter this year AMD is going to spank them. It's that simple. And guys, I'm seriously an NVIDIA fan. The GTX 700 series is simply a refresh. Volcanic is based on an ENTIRELY new architecture and will be released within the same year, posed to potentially spank Maxwell as well. 

After severely over thinking the GPU issue I started to fantasize about Haswell CPUs. I'm aware that the 4670k is not a major improvement over the current Gamer's Choice, but lt will definitely provide better performance than my aging Q6600. I took a look at leaked specs of the new motherboards and was shocked. They aren't supporting DDR4 memory, which is rumoured to be released late this year or in 2014. WHAAAT? 

If I buy one of these fancy new Z87 motherboards this year I won't be able to use the new RAM standard? This means no potential upgrades with my brand new board? INSANITY I SAY! It seems to me that performance conscious consumers are trapped this year. The new CPUs are meh, new graphics cards meh, others with slightly later released rumoured to be great. If I buy a motherboard now I'm trapped and can't upgrade. The RAM I buy this summer will be replaced within a few months. Buying a new NVIDIA card is a waste of money, not to mention the performance improvements to come in the next few years from the pressure of the next gen console releases.

I'm stuck... and we are all doomed. Advice?

I would upgrade to haswell if you aren't satisfied with the performance of your pc anymore. Rumors say that DDR4 won't be here until haswell-E (2014).

I would wait until the end of the year for Volcanic islands, cause if the rumors are true, those cards are going to be awesome.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

What you just described is a problem that every PC enthusiast comes up against when upgrading. If it's not a new graphics card that's coming out it a new CPU or a new case or motherboard or a new USB type or a new special fan controller that you've had your eye on. What you need to do is not worry about it and just buy a system. Because no matter when you choose to do it there will always be these decisions to make. Maybe this year is particularly bad so you could wait until AMD have come out with a new graphics card. But you should make the decision now for what you are waiting for. Also I can guarantee that no matter when you buy a system it will become devalued pretty quickly within the next year.

upgrading is not a stressful process, honest :D 

By the way, go easy Grammar Nazis I'm dyslexic;'#';[p#'; (I'm pretty sure a full stop should go there somewhere :D)
My Deviant Art: http://neutronicsoup.deviantart.com/
Linus quote of the day "Slick you're fired"

What you just described is a problem that every PC enthusiast comes up against when upgrading. If it's not a new graphics card that's coming out it a new CPU or a new case or motherboard or a new USB type or a new special fan controller that you've had your eye on. What you need to do is not worry about it and just buy a system. Because no matter when you choose to do it there will always be these decisions to make. Maybe this year is particularly bad so you could wait until AMD have come out with a new graphics card. But you should make the decision now for what you are waiting for. Also I can guarantee that no matter when you buy a system it will become devalued pretty quickly within the next year.

upgrading is not a stressful process, honest :D 

Well said

I wudd jus say upgrade now and when new cpu and gpu come out u shudd have earned enough to buy it this is coming from a guy who makes stacks tho

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb