PC locks up after a while following new CPU upgrade.

Hello, my friend is having an issue with his PC where it will lock up without any sort of notice and will not POST for a time afterwards if at all. Reseating the processor and making sure all of the pins are clear as is the socket and putting the HSF back on alleviates the problem for a time, but the PC always returns to the lock up and no POST. I'm the one who built the PC and I see him regularly so I generally help him with any issues. CPU Temperatures and voltages are around where they should be.

Specs:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz (was upgraded from an FX-4100)

Asrock 970 Extreme3

Xigmatek Gaia HSF

Antec Earthwatts 750w PSU

AMD R9 280X (this was also upgraded but it seems to be functioning fine, 6870 could be swapped in if that's necessary)

Hitachi 500GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Check the temps. Download a program such as HWMonitor and see how the power usage, CPU voltage and CPU temps are doing :)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 .:. Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz .:. Graphics Card: MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC 2GB

Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1x 1000GB WD Blue .:. RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill RipjawzX 2133MHz .:. CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red .:. PSU: Corsair CX600M .:. Fans: 5x 120mm AeroCool Dead Silence, 1x 140mm AeroCool Dead Silence

If you can go into the mother board bios and make sure it is not overheating. B)

The temperature and voltage of the new CPU are pretty much in line with what one can expect from an 8350, I'll add that to the OP

Did you clear CMOS when you changed the CPU?

I did not, but would the PC boot ever if that was the problem? I'll tell him to try that. Thanks for all of the help so far everyone.

Did you clean the thermal paste from the cooler and put new paste on before mounting it to the 8350?

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Did you clean the thermal paste from the cooler and put new paste on before mounting it to the 8350?

Each time the CPU was reseated the CPU and heatsink were cleaned with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl and new thermal paste was applied. Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to help.

Each time the CPU was reseated the CPU and heatsink were cleaned with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl and new thermal paste was applied. Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to help.

Either the CPU is damaged (VERY unlikely) or your cooling isn't doing a very good job. 

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

The temperatures of the CPU are fine, both HWMonitor and the air coming off of the heatsink are in line with what I've read other 8350's produce.

Well upon further research, I found some information about the 970 Extreme3 that said Asrock actually revoked support for the 8 cores years after they launched the board. When it was purchased, the idea was to get by with the little 4100 until it could be replaced with an 8150,or in this case, an 8350. The board touted that it would handle 8 cores just fine and they even added support for the 8320 and 8350,which I saw a while ago and suggested to my friend. I guess I assumed that if they said it would in the past, they wouldn't change their minds.

As for the reason why, it seems to be poor VRM implementation, either through subpar components, not enough of them, shoddy design, or all 3. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing Asrock boards in the future if they claim to support something and then quietly pull support later.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. These forums are always fantastic.