Microsoft not keen on porting Xbox One exclusives on PC

gjrud
The Xbox One is set to get 15 exclusives over the course of its first year. But what of PC versions? Last time I checked, Xbox and Windows were playing for the same team, so why not? Here’s what Booty told Shacknews: “The Windows 8 gamer is certainly going to participate in some of that content… We have got everything from very, very casual games, like our very much improved and reimagined Solitaire, all the way to graphically complicated games like The Harvest.”

...continue reading.

What a bad news, but I can't say I didn't expect to see more "mobile games" ported on my computer thanks to Windows 8's effort to unify the platforms. What I didn't imagine was that this would be accompanied by a reduction of AAA games coming from Microsoft's console over our computers.

What do you think? I hope publishers will not bait too much in this "exclusives nonsense" (as a consumer I find it hurtful) because if they do I expect darker days ahead for PC gaming. 

EDIT: I wanted to post this in the news section, sorry, is there the possibility to move it?

Game company gets royalties from Microsoft for exclusivity and Microsoft making the money back from licensing fees. Pc doesn't get that so less money for Microsoft in the long run.

But sad. Wanted to play red dead redemption but not available on pc. Heard so many good things about it. But pc does have lots of exclusives also so not to bummed out.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Xbox exclusives were never really that good. The only one I was mildly interested in was Alan Wake, and it came out on PC anyway, and I don't see Remedy skipping the PC next time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Game company gets royalties from Microsoft for exclusivity and Microsoft making the money back from licensing fees. Pc doesn't get that so less money for Microsoft in the long run.

But sad. Wanted to play red dead redemption but not available on pc. Heard so many good things about it. But pc does have lots of exclusives also so not to bummed out.

Just pick up a 360 in a few months for pennies and then grab it, i loved the story personally

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Xbox exclusives were never really that good. The only one I was mildly interested in was Alan Wake, and it came out on PC anyway, and I don't see Remedy skipping the PC next time.

Just bought it from the humble bundle added to my list of games to beat now.

Just pick up a 360 in a few months for pennies and then grab it, i loved the story personally

I have an Xbox 360 use to play it all the time but after switching to pc I can't for the life of me use a controller to aim at anything. Turing around is so painfully slow, inaccurate, it's more of a chore to do than anything else really.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

They can keep their pathetic exclusives, we still have the awesomeness that is strategy games.

How dare they betray the PCs who made them ever so successful. -_-

{B t t tk Pf t B t t tk Pf tk B Pf} <--- This is my language. BEATBOXING FOR LIFE!

F'n MicroSoft  I hope they burn in hell. I guess now there's no point investing in high end video cards/processors  anymore.

The thing is, most of the more popular Xbox exclusives (excluding gears of war) are developed by Microsoft anyways, so the licensing fees argument doesn't make the most sense.

Anyways, SOLITAIRE? Microsoft must really not think that the PC is a viable gaming platform if they think that solitaire is an exciting game for PC players...

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

i wouldnt expect exclusives to be ported... isnt that what exclusive means?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

i wouldnt expect exclusives to be ported... isnt that what exclusive means?

But instead of simply being Xbox exclusive, why couldn't they make them Microsoft exclusive? If they were to sell them through the windows 8 store, they would receive more money per game sold, and would have a reason for people to upgrade to windows 8 from windows 7.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

Yeah I agree, Xbox exclusives were not really ever amazing.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

But instead of simply being Xbox exclusive, why couldn't they make them Microsoft exclusive? If they were to sell them through the windows 8 store, they would receive more money per game sold, and would have a reason for people to upgrade to windows 8 from windows 7.

let me spell it out for you....

SO THEY SELL THEIR CONSOLE!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Microsoft probably wont port their exclusive titles over but tbh I am seeing Xbox One less and less as a high end gaming console, I think that is the relm of the PS4. But regardless of what MS and Sony do with their exclusive games, the majority of titles are not exclusive to either platform and as its all now x86 you will see a lot of companies porting to PC as its going to be quite cheap for them to do it and means more revenue. I will imagine that in the next 2 years we will start seeing an influx of IP's that were just not coming over to PC (or that were but only later and only after profit was clear) porting as the costs will be minimal

Personally I see Xbox One and PS4 moving to x86 as one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in years. PLUS, cant wait to see what hackers and modders are going to do to the consoles :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

F'n MicroSoft  I hope they burn in hell. I guess now there's no point investing in high end video cards/processors  anymore.

Right because microsoft having exclusives for Xbox, something they've always done, means that no one is going to make PC games.