Thoughts? Node 304

Alright ladies and gentlemen, here is the deal. My goal for this build is to put together a mini ITX machine that is going to be relatively quiet while being able to push games on ultra settings at 1080p. My budget is $1000. (I went a little over budget) I know I could have allocated my funds in ways to give me better performance, but I felt the trade offs I made are worth it in my opinion. If you have any critiques/suggestions, I would love to hear/read them. Unfortunately, I won't be overclocking this time around, the aftermarket heat sink is there only to reduce noise. I really wish Oregon had a Microcenter as well. I didn't include a copy of windows in my budget. Parts will be ordered soon...very soon  :ph34r: (hopefully)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y3jjBm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y3jjBm/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($62.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($107.24 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($74.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.91 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: PP05-E short cable kit ($30.00)
Total: $1038.06

P.S. for all of you disgraced I didn't include an SSD, my host parents in Japan are sending me a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO for my birthday. (they da real mvp)

Asus 280x seems to be way quieter than other 280x aftermarket coolers - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-third-party-round-up,3655-6.html

I should be studying.

It almost looks perfect. I highly recommend an SFX power supply as their form factor gives the needed cable management room that the Node 304 lacks. It's a tad cheaper, so I definitely recommend doing that. Cheaper + smaller = awesome.

This one specifically, which is from SilverStone, $90, and fully modular anyway: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256084

A 450w PSU will be able to handle the 280X & that CPU. My 290X & 3570k (stock clocks) pull 440w (at maximum, 100% load) from the wall at maximum and the 290X is in Uber mode (uses more power). You should clear the 450w limit by at least 50w. Plus good PSUs are rated at below their maximum output for many reasons, so yeah. You should be good with 450w.

The RAM is fine, for anyone wondering. The difference between Dual Channel and Single Channel DDR3 for gaming is like 2 FPS. Whip-de-doo.

Overall, good build regardless. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It almost looks perfect. I highly recommend an SFX power supply as their form factor gives the needed cable management room that the Node 304 lacks. It's a tad more expensive, but if you can do it, I highly recommend it.

A 450w PSU will be able to handle the 280X & that CPU. My 290X & 3570k (stock clocks) pull 440w from the wall at maximum and the 290X is in Uber mode (uses more power). You should clear the 450w limit by at least 50w. 

The RAM is fine, for anyone wondering. The difference between Dual Channel and Single Channel DDR3 for gaming is like 2 FPS. Whip-de-doo.

Overall, good build regardless. 

I mainly went with Silverstone's PSU because they have a short cable kit and is fully modular, while having plenty of room for the GPU. The memory is a 1x8gb stick so I can upgrade in the future if I ever feel like it. There is better memory out there, but I like the look of Kingston's new Fury heat spreaders+black pcb so oh well.  ^_^

I should be studying.

I think it's a fine build, not exactly my preference but well balanced nonetheless. I believe you can get a cheaper GPU with the same performance and perhaps a better PSU for less money while maintaing a small form factor due to the case's constraints. Just one little thing. Have you considered the 250D? It's a tad bit bigger but the spatial design is vastly improved for performance and management, it also has a window.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I think it's a fine build, not exactly my preference but well balanced nonetheless. I believe you can get a cheaper GPU with the same performance and perhaps a better PSU for less money while maintaing a small form factor due to the case's constraints. Just one little thing. Have you considered the 250D? It's a tad bit bigger but the spatial design is vastly improved for performance and management, it also has a window.

Yes the 250D was considered. It is just a bit too big for my taste, and I find it rather ugly.  :P

I could have got a much cheaper 280x, but Asus' seems to be the quietest/highest user review rating.

I should be studying.

I mainly went with Silverstone's PSU because they have a short cable kit and is fully modular, while having plenty of room for the GPU. The memory is a 1x8gb stick so I can upgrade in the future if I ever feel like it. There is better memory out there, but I like the look of Kingston's new Fury heat spreaders so oh well.  ^_^

I updated that post with a link to the Silverstone SFX PSU, and I understand about the RAM. Kingston makes sexy RAM/SSDs imo. :3

The short cable kit is compatible with the Silverstone SFX PSU I listed as well btw. The only real reason not to choose the smaller PSU is for expansion later (in case you need the extra 100w) AFAICT. Up to you though. It's your build. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I updated that post with a link to the Silverstone SFX PSU, and I understand about the RAM. Kingston makes sexy RAM/SSDs imo. :3

The short cable kit is compatible with the Silverstone SFX PSU I listed as well btw. The only real reason not to choose the smaller PSU is for expansion later (in case you need the extra 100w) AFAICT. Up to you though. It's your build. :)

Ah yes their SFX supply. I was considering using this (or waiting for their release of the 600 watt varient) in another build option that was being planned using Silverstone RVZ01. I would be too worried that the fan would be a little loud as it is a tad small. 

I should be studying.

Ah yes their SFX supply. I was considering using this in another build that was being planned using Silverstone RVZ01. I would be too worried that the fan would be a little loud as it is a little small. 

There are reviews complaining about it, so I can understand that. Admittedly, those were from people who themselves say they want it "inaudibly quiet", so their expectations/standards might be slightly different from yours.

If you are DIY or what-have-you, you can do this with another fan using the money you save (even a Noctua): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3881-how-to-change-the-fan-of-your-psu/

† Christian Member †

There are reviews complaining about it, so I can understand that. 

If you are DIY or what-have-you, you can do this with another fan using the money you save (even a Noctua): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3881-how-to-change-the-fan-of-your-psu/

Yeah but in my opinion I would rather just save the time and pay the extra ~$20, plus I would need to purchase a fan  :P

I should be studying.

Yes the 250D was considered. It is just a bit too big for my taste, and I find it rather ugly.  :P

Just made sure you considered it. I liked it, although I think I'm more in love with the spatial design rather than its outward looks. Which is kind of funny, I'm quite shallow about PCs. I know how to optimize a budget for the best performance but I personally don't care, I want the looks, not that I'd let that get in the way of recommendations. I'm a no comprise and just save your money till you get what you want type of person. Okay I've clearly droned on now. You might want to look at XFX's version of that GPU it's cheaper and nicer looking. I've also heard some negative comments about the DCUII cooler on AMD graphics cards but it was mostly about inadequate cooling on the VRMs or memory, however it was just fine. If you do consider XFX's it's a bit taller than the standard card so check if it fits. 

On a side note, I've never met a foreign exchange student before in person before, it would've been fun I bet. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Just made sure you considered it. I liked it, although I think I'm more in love with the spatial design rather than its outward looks. Which is kind of funny, I'm quite shallow about PCs. I know how to optimize a budget for the best performance but I personally don't care, I want the looks, not that I'd let that get in the way of recommendations. I'm a no comprise and just save your money till you get what you want type of person. Okay I've clearly droned on now. You might want to look at XFX's version of that GPU it's cheaper and nicer looking. I've also heard some negative comments about the DCUII cooler on AMD graphics cards but it was mostly about inadequate cooling on the VRMs or memory, however it was just fine. If you do consider XFX's it's a bit taller than the standard card so check if it fits. 

On a side note, I've never met a foreign exchange student before in person before, it would've been fun I bet. 

It was the best time of my life. I would recommend it to anyone that has the chance. It will change your life.

I should be studying.

good build choice for the iTX system

another alternative iTX casing will be the CoolerMaster Elite 130 same size as the Node 304 but not a looker thou.

Asus have yet to fix the VRM cooling issue with the 280X, and as the Elpida VRAMs are overclock to extreme speeds

you may experience the artifacts problem esp with the Top Edition

I have open up the Asus 280X before and the cooler which is great for nVidia is bad for AMD as it only cools the GPU but none for the VRAM and VRMs

another user have point out the XFX Double Dissipation coolers is bad design too, but the customer and RMA service is much worst.

you could look at PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X OC as the alternative GPU 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.