Need help - tablet or phone ? Nexus 5 or Nvidia Shield tablet ?

Afterlife737

Hey !

So I got my hands on a Nexus 7 2013 and have been using it for nearly a week now. I will sadly be taking it back though because I find the screen to small ( for my needs - 8" is the sweet spot) and for the still pretty high price, not very future-proof in this world of 64-bit K1 chips. Don't get me wrong - the Nexus 7 is AMAZING. It is the first tablet I have ever owned and I am blown away by it. I used to think that everything I ever needed to do, I could get done on my phone or on a computer and that there is no need in investing in any portable device between that. Be it a laptop, tablet or gaming device.... I will be starting college in September and this last year my phone on which I relied on for everything from e-mails, YouTube, camera morning news reading, studying before tests, downloading files sent to me, editing presentations and docs, music, communicating with people to everything I do on my computer just suddenly couldn't handle my expectations. My Gnex just suddenly started feeling ANCIENT. The battery is still original since day one I in early 2012 and lasts 5 hours at most with Wi-fi, bluetooth, data and basically everything ( including the screen) turned off. It has had two screen replacements, has been drowned once, had a new camera lens aswell and has been beaten and battered unbelievably and has unfortunately died :(

The Nexus 7 I had really opened my eyes. Maybe it's the new hardware and good optimization, but it handled the everyday tasks I do soooooo much better than my Gnex. It was great to have that larger screen for reading and YouTube and presentations and..... come to think of it - everything I ever did on my phone I could do better on this bigger slab...... But I only have £230 so I can only afford a tablet OR a phone.So I need to upgrade, shouldn't I just use an old Nokia phone and buy a tablet ? For instance the new Shield Tablet looks great ! I love stock Android and the stylus would be a great plus for school work....

Or I could buy a Nexus 5 and have all the same power as a tablet, still be able to have my data plan and use that for internet when I want AND have a good phone camera on which I rely on a lot... I haven't used a Nexus 5 yet, but I plan to try to get one for a few days to try it out

I'm really stuck - based on my situation, I wouldn't want to get rid of my data plan, but I love the size of the tablets :/
Please help and thnx allot for reading this far, any reply and advice means allot !! smile.png

@Afterlife737 If I had 300 quid I'd get the 32GB with the support for 4G LTE. Then chuck a micro/nano sim the data plans have higher bandwidth.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Id say go with the shield as it has front facing speakers :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I have the same dilemma and am going for the shield 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

@Afterlife737 If I had 300 quid I'd get the 32GB with the support for 4G LTE. Then chuck a micro/nano sim the data plans have higher bandwidth.

I am at O2 atm but I will be studying abroad in the Czech Republic so it's a bit different here :( But in theory it's the same - I can get a shared plan for two sims and use one for the internet in my tablet so that is an option but I'm not sure I will have enough money for the cellular version :/

I have the same dilemma and am going for the shield 

Really ?? In a way that makes me happy because I felt REALLY wierd when I read my post again... sorta a odd problem :(

Id say go with the shield as it has front facing speakers :P

Ha :) thats a good way to look at it but I use headphones most of the time for anything :) In school you don't want people hearing what you're watching in lesson :D

Nexus 5, google nexus is so old. Or you could get a phablet like a note 3 or xperia z ultra

Nexus 5, google nexus is so old. Or you could get a phablet like a note 3 or xperia z ultra

So not a Nexus 5 ?

Ha :) thats a good way to look at it but I use headphones most of the time for anything :) In school you don't want people hearing what you're watching in lesson :D

what type of stuff is it you are watching? (nsfw?)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So not a Nexus 5 ?

Nexus 5 is a good phone, but you could get a phone with a bigger screen and not get a tablet

what type of stuff is it you are watching? (nsfw?)

No :) I was only joking :D but I do like the speakers though ! Might use my headphones less :o

Nexus 5 is a good phone, but you could get a phone with a bigger screen and not get a tablet

For the same money ? :o

For the same money ? :o

Probably not, but most phablets will have much greater battery life