Complete noob to Intel overclocking

Sup.

I bought a 3770k and I'm finally getting around to overclocking it. The problem is, I've overclocked before but only with AMD CPUs/APUs. I'm using Fatal1ty Professional Motherboard and the i7 3770k and I've set the multiplier to 4.2, however when I reboot it, my computer properties + Speccy claim it's still at 3.5ghz. When I run CPU-Z it does creep up to 4.2 on occasion. Is this normal? I thought the Computer Properties page was supposed to display what frequency the CPU is running at.

Did you stress the CPU? I believe the CPU is throttling itself because of the power saving features enabled. When stressed, does the CPU hop up to 4.2GHz?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah, the temperatures and the frequency does go to 4.2ghz (using HWmonitor and CPU-Z to monitor) it's all fine. It just doesn't show my CPU is actually clocked at 4.2Ghz anywhere unless it's under-stress.

2ZBBP.png

Yeah, the temperatures and the frequency does go to 4.2ghz (using HWmonitor and CPU-Z to monitor) it's all fine. It just doesn't show my CPU is actually clocked at 4.2Ghz anywhere unless it's under-stress.

2ZBBP.png

Oh don't worry about that. As long as it is going up to 4.2Ghz normally you shouldn't care about it not displaying.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Oh don't worry about that. As long as it is going up to 4.2Ghz normally you shouldn't care about it not displaying.

Ah, awesome, thanks. My 3770k maxes out at 82c. Is this ok? I'm fairly certain it is because in reality, I'm never going to put it under as much stress as P95.

Oh yeah. You're fine. I have the same thing too.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ah, awesome, thanks. My 3770k maxes out at 82c. Is this ok? I'm fairly certain it is because in reality, I'm never going to put it under as much stress as P95.

What's the voltage? Even for P95, that's high for that frequency. What kind of cooler are you using?

If it maxes out at 82c in prime95 you're okay. You're not gonna reach those kind of temps unless you're really stressing out with certain programs that use a lot CPU power.

But at 4.2 Ghz it shouldn't be reaching 82c even in prime95. Are using the stock cooler? What are your voltages?

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

If it maxes out at 82c in prime95 you're okay. You're not gonna reach those kind of temps unless you're really stressing out with certain programs that use a lot CPU power.

His temps don't need to be that high though in P95.

What's the voltage? Even for P95, that's high for that frequency. What kind of cooler are you using?

I set the voltage to auto. Using the Thermaltake Frio Advanced with Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste.

2ZBNd.png

I know 3770's naturally run hotter, but do they really run that much hotter?

I set the voltage to auto. Using the Thermaltake Frio Advanced with Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste.

2ZBNd.png

That's a bit too high. Try lowering it manually to like 1.18. My 3770k runs at 4.3GHz at 1.2v but with that said every chip is different so it might not be stable. 

That's a bit too high. Try lowering it manually to like 1.18. My 3770k runs at 4.3GHz at 1.2v but with that said every chip is different so it might not be stable. 

And that cooler is a monster. I doubt it's the cooler that's terrible.

2ZC15.png Is this any better?

Also, really appreciate the help guys :).

EDIT:Forgot to mention, according to Speccy and AsRock utilities, it's running at 74c compared to the 85 before lowering the voltage.

2ZC15.png Is this any better?

Also, really appreciate the help guys :).

Yes it is. What are your temps now?

I edited my post above, didn't want to double post but seeing as though you've posted, I guess it's ok :P

74c with Speccy and the Asrock utilities, although it's crept its way up to 80 again :|

Are you sure your CPU fans are running? My voltage is about the same as yours(with a slighter higher frequency), and my temps are not even touching 80 degrees. They're about 70 degrees C at this moment with my exhaust fan on low, and it's hot in my house right now.

Are you sure your CPU fans are running? My voltage is about the same as yours(with a slighter higher frequency), and my temps are not even touching 80 degrees. They're about 70 degrees C at this moment with my exhaust fan on low, and it's hot in my house right now.

Yeah, they're both running and they're both facing the correct way. I'm not too bothered about the temperatures at this point, however if I can get them lower, that's always a bonus :P

Temps are fluctuating between 72-80c as opposed to the 82-85 it was reaching before this.

Yeah, they're both running and they're both facing the correct way. I'm not too bothered about the temperatures at this point, however if I can get them lower, that's always a bonus :P

Is the current room warm or something?

Is the current room warm or something?

Not really no, although it could be because I've got a pretty small room, was barley able to fit my single bed in here lol. Although ventilation around the PC is fine.

This is weird. I really don't know what the cause is of your high temps.

This is weird. I really don't know what the cause is of your high temps.

I guess we'll never know haha. Thanks your help everyone, really appreciate it :)

I guess we'll never know haha. Thanks your help everyone, really appreciate it :)

No problem.