Build Decision : I5 4670k(90k) or xeon e3 1230v3 for gaming :S ?

So hey guys , I'm not sure wich cpu to choose 

From one side I got the i5 4670k wich is 255$CAD or the i5 4690k at 260$CAD

I know they are beast at gaming ! :D

I would pair it with a 150$ motherboard idk wich one.

On the other side we got the xeon e3 1230v3 wich is a i7-4770 without the IGPU

It got HT and a clock speed of 3.3 ghz . 4 cores/8 threads

It can'toverclock but overclocking destroys your cpu :( but has intel turbo to 3.7ghz price : 270$CAD

Pair with a 95$ motherboard

I've heard that hyper-threading will be more efficient in gaming for next-gen games in the future ... (1080p)

So thats a tought choice

I didn't buy anything , I plan to build this bad boy in the next months

GPU planned : Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb oc windforce

psu : 650w antec 80+ gold

Would the xeon be good for gaming and in the future as its going ?

I5.

CPU: i7 4770 GPU: GTX Asus 760 CASE: Zalman Z11 Blue COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 STORAGE: 2TB Toshiba Hard Drive 120 GB SSD

If all you are doing is gaming, the answer is i5.  Also, don't be afraid of overclocking, the only way to destroy your CPU by overclocking is if you do something stupid.  There are lots of guides and tutorials on how to safely overclock, and you can achieve a very robust overclock without a lot of voltage.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

In terms of graphics card, don't get a GTX 770, even if it is 4GB.  Opt for the R9 290.  It is a much, much better GPU and costs about the same.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i5 4690k gets my vote.

And whoever told you that overclocking destroys your CPU should be slapped. It can kill it, but only if you do it wrong. Doing it right will basically have little to no impact on it's lifespan.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Even if the i5 with the z97 mobo (150$) is more expensive then the xeon with a h87 mobo (95$) ?

On newegg.ca the i5 4690k + 150$ z97 = 410$CAD

Xeon 1230v3 + 95$ h87 = around 375$CAD

:) ?

If all you are doing is gaming, the answer is i5.  Also, don't be afraid of overclocking, the only way to destroy your CPU by overclocking is if you do something stupid.  There are lots of guides and tutorials on how to safely overclock, and you can achieve a very robust overclock without a lot of voltage.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

In terms of graphics card, don't get a GTX 770, even if it is 4GB.  Opt for the R9 290.  It is a much, much better GPU and costs about the same.

I don't really like amd :S I did get amd on all on my previous build and nahhh , I prefer Nvidia ^^

For the cpu  , if the games begin to use more than 4 threads I'm fucked right ? ...

I don't really like amd :S I did get amd on all on my previous build and nahhh , I prefer Nvidia ^^

For the cpu  , if the games begin to use more than 4 threads I'm fucked right ? ...

Not going to happen for a long time. Game developers make games for the masses, and the majority of people have processors with 2-4 cores, and games are designed as such. This is why the anniversary Pentium performs so well once overclocked. Game devs aren't going to suddenly start making games for 6+ cores and alienate a majority of the consumer base. We are a long way off from games using more than 4 threads.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

And if I do video rendering would the i5 be a good choice either ? ;D

And if I do video rendering would the i5 be a good choice either ? ;D

If you know you have multi-threaded workload the Xeon is better. But if it's gaming, the i5 for sure since moar Ghz is better.

I'd go for the Xeon, but it's because I use VMs for work.

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

I'd say i5 4440

Hum , nope but thanks for the reply , I want a mid/high end pc , not a 700$ pc ... My budget is 1500/1600$CAD with a monitor 1080p (23 inch)

PS to all :

If you have a build thats in this range tell me ;)

If you know you have multi-threaded workload the Xeon is better. But if it's gaming, the i5 for sure since moar Ghz is better.

I'd go for the Xeon, but it's because I use VMs for work.

Moi aussi j'habite au Quebec :D!

Hum , nope but thanks for the reply , I want a mid/high end pc , not a 700$ pc ... My budget is 1500/1600$CAD with a monitor 1080p (23 inch)

PS to all :

If you have a build thats in this range tell me ;)

Pretty sure the only difference is clock speed but i'd get the 4430 over the 4440

Pretty sure the only difference is clock speed

Nope , you can't overclock this cpu :S

It seems like you've already made up your mind, so why are you asking us? I just bought a 4690K for my newest build, because when it comes to gaming, a Xeon series processor will be a worse performer. It is built on older architecture and is usually optimized for multi-threaded applications. As most games are still single-core, get a Core series, which has fewer, larger cores.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

OK thanks for the advice guys :P I'll see for the price when I will build my pc cause I just realized how fast the price are changing :$ ^^

If you don't plan to overclock but need hyper threading, Xeon is a great choice, it's nearly the same chip, better binned and all that jazz. If you are just going to game and dont need hyperthreading and not overclock just get the 4690, if you want to overclock 4690k. I am all for Xeons myself.

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress