PC for Flight Simulator

Speedbird

Hi.

I decided to replace my current rig with one that was designed with Microsoft Flight Simulator in mind. Now, I've heard that NVIDIA is the way to go and the GTX 660 would be the minimum. And everyone seems to recommend an unlocked i5 and overclock it. So here's my part list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.74 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.08 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1325.67

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-02 20:55 EDT-0400

Edited by Speedbird

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

why do you have 2 CPU coolers on there?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

And you beat me to it this time. :(

Do I? Well yes I do. I want the NH-D14. Wanted the H100i before, but changed my mind.

Do I? Well yes I do. I want the NH-D14. Wanted the H100i before, but changed my mind.

Why not the NH-D15?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Why not the NH-D15?

Little too expensive. I don't want to spend 100 euros on a cooler.

Please dont get Windows 7, 8.1 is far superior. I dont want to hear any of this "but Windows 8 sucks and is stupid" shit.

lol, you can run it happily on intel integrated graphics.

if you are building one just for this, go for an APU

and get Windows from G2A

Compatible with Windows 95

Please dont get Windows 7, 8.1 is far superior. I dont want to hear any of this "but Windows 8 sucks and is stupid" shit.

People have had problems with Windows 8.1 and flight simulator. There are also many guides out there for tweaking FSX for Windows 7 which don't apply for Windows 8. If this was just a gaming rig, I would buy 8.1.

lol, you can run it happily on intel integrated graphics.

if you are building one just for this, go for an APU

and get Windows from G2A

Nope, that's a common misconception. I have read hardware guides and everyone recommends a good GPU, even though FSX is CPU-heavy.

Don't spend $300 on a GTX 760. Get a 770.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741&cm_re=GTX_770-_-14-127-741-_-Product

Newegg has one for $310.

What he said.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Nope, that's a common misconception. I have read hardware guides and everyone recommends a good GPU, even though FSX is CPU-heavy.

Actually, no.

From when i played it on integrated graphics at 60fps on medium/high, I know that it isn't a demanding game at all.

First hand evidence therefore is triumphant.

Plus, there's the fact that it's so old that you cannot even find it on Steam any more.

Compatible with Windows 95

Actually, no.

From when i played it on integrated graphics at 60fps on medium/high, I know that it isn't a demanding game at all.

First hand evidence therefore is triumphant.

Plus, there's the fact that it's so old that you cannot even find it on Steam any more.

Yeah, I got it to work with a GT610 at 30FPS.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, I got it to work with a GT610 at 30FPS.

I currently have 20 FPS on a GT630. And I will buy a discrete GPU for gaming.

powesupply seems a bit overkill for a 760

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

powesupply seems a bit overkill for a 760

I might add another graphics card later. The board also supports SLI.

Look for as much cores as you can and get an Nvidia GPU, I went AMD and regret it everytime I load it. And no, you can't play with intel IGP, unless you want to play it without any add ons. Sceneries and Enviroment mods are very intensive on both the CPU and GPU.

GTX770 = GTX680, so if you find one cheaper, grab it. 

People have had problems with Windows 8.1 and flight simulator. There are also many guides out there for tweaking FSX for Windows 7 which don't apply for Windows 8. If this was just a gaming rig, I would buy 8.1.

I haven't had any issues yet, I recently switched from 8 to 8.1

Hi.

I decided to replace my current rig with one that was designed with Microsoft Flight Simulator in mind. Now, I've heard that NVIDIA is the way to go and the GTX 660 would be the minimum. And everyone seems to recommend an unlocked i5 and overclock it. So here's my part list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.74 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.08 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1325.67

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-02 20:55 EDT-0400

Hi mate,

I'm also building myself a flightsimx rig at the moment so I might be able to comment and share my thoughts.

The i5-4690K is a great choice and is what I bought.

Good thing you aren't getting the H100i because it doesn't fit in the Corsair 230T. I got the 230T too but the black one and got the H80i. 230T is a great case for it's price.

I would recommend you to get some RAM with better timings. The RAM you have chosen is only CL11 and would recommend you get something thats CL9 or better.

I also got the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD (excellent choice) but got I got a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB as well.

I also got a GTX 760 4GB but I got the Asus one instead which I probably did not need to get the 4GB version of. After doing extra research after I already bought the card, I read that fsx being a 32bit program can't really use all 4gb of VRAM and that the 760 itself can't really use all 4GB of VRAM by itself and that the 4GB version was probably designed more for SLi configurations which fsx does not support. (I could be wrong on this one though coz there's quite a bit of misconception on the interwebs about this) Anyways with that being said, probably get the 770 2gb for a little bit more or 760 2gb for a little bit less. 

The power supply is overkill unless you are planning on buying another GPU for SLi which I assume you won't be because flightsimx doesn't support multi GPU set-ups and you'd have to disable one when you play fsx. I got a Seasonic G series 650W which I would recommend also more than what I need but should still be enough to be quiet. Also Seasonic makes Corsair's RM series so really you'd be buying a seasonic PSU with a Corsair premium. The G series is also 80+ Gold and performs better than the RM series. Though the G series is only semi modular which doesn't really matter because you'll be using all 3 fixed cables anyways for your CPU, motherboard and GPU.

I've built my PC but haven't installed an OS yet, probably windows 8.1 so I'll have to see how fsx runs on it.

So here's some changes I'd recommend

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($120.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($245.66 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1171.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-05 12:13 EDT-0400

TL/DR: Save on the GPU and get the 760 2GB instead and spend on some better RAM. Don't need so much POWER! otherwise not bad.

p.s. please remember I am a first time builder and these thoughts and recommendations are based on my very limited research and experience

p.s.s. I can post my partslist and why I picked each part if you want.

Hi mate,

I'm also building myself a flightsimx rig at the moment so I might be able to comment and share my thoughts.

The i5-4690K is a great choice and is what I bought.

Good thing you aren't getting the H100i because it doesn't fit in the Corsair 230T. I got the 230T too but the black one and got the H80i. 230T is a great case for it's price.

I would recommend you to get some RAM with better timings. The RAM you have chosen is only CL11 and would recommend you get something thats CL9 or better.

I also got the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD (excellent choice) but got I got a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB as well.

I also got a GTX 760 4GB but I got the Asus one instead which I probably did not need to get the 4GB version of. After doing extra research after I already bought the card, I read that fsx being a 32bit program can't really use all 4gb of VRAM and that the 760 itself can't really use all 4GB of VRAM by itself and that the 4GB version was probably designed more for SLi configurations which fsx does not support. (I could be wrong on this one though coz there's quite a bit of misconception on the interwebs about this) Anyways with that being said, probably get the 770 2gb for a little bit more or 760 2gb for a little bit less. 

The power supply is overkill unless you are planning on buying another GPU for SLi which I assume you won't be because flightsimx doesn't support multi GPU set-ups and you'd have to disable one when you play fsx. I got a Seasonic G series 650W which I would recommend also more than what I need but should still be enough to be quiet. Also Seasonic makes Corsair's RM series so really you'd be buying a seasonic PSU with a Corsair premium. The G series is also 80+ Gold and performs better than the RM series. Though the G series is only semi modular which doesn't really matter because you'll be using all 3 fixed cables anyways for your CPU, motherboard and GPU.

I've built my PC but haven't installed an OS yet, probably windows 8.1 so I'll have to see how fsx runs on it.

So here's some changes I'd recommend

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.98 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($120.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.00 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($245.66 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $1171.54

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-05 12:13 EDT-0400

TL/DR: Save on the GPU and get the 760 2GB instead and spend on some better RAM. Don't need so much POWER! otherwise not bad.

p.s. please remember I am a first time builder and these thoughts and recommendations are based on my very limited research and experience

Hi and Thanks for the comprehensive reply. My rig will be used for more gaming and not only FSX. I might want to buy another graphics card, that's why I picked the high-wattage PSU and an SLI-ready board. I will look into the 760 but I will probably buy a 2GB version of the 770.

And yes, FSX doesn't support SLI.

Hi and Thanks for the comprehensive reply. My rig will be used for more gaming and not only FSX. I might want to buy another graphics card, that's why I picked the high-wattage PSU and an SLI-ready board. I will look into the 760 but I will probably buy a 2GB version of the 770.

And yes, FSX doesn't support SLI.

Same! Glad to see someone else in a similar boat building a fsx and gaming rig with similar if not same parts.

I don't see myself getting a second card any time soon though that's why I bought a 650w psu. I was looking at the RM650 when I was first looking at parts but only ended up getting the Seasonic because it was almost $50AUD cheaper when I was buying here and jonnyguru gave it a much better rating compared to the RM650. Would recommend you have a look on jonnyguru if you haven't already. 

GPU wise, if you plan on SLi'ing I would actually recommend a 4gb vram card. TTL from OC3D does a comprehensive review on the Asus GTX 760 4gb in SLi and single 760 which would probably still be relevant to the gigabyte version. 2gb VRAM cards would not be adequate with new gen games like watchdogs because when you SLi, you don't double your VRAM. It's still 2gb per GPU.

p.s. However, when I do get enough cash to splash on a second card I'll be upgrading to a AX760 or AX860i. xD massive splurge xD