Getting 100% out of my older rig.

IAMWILL
Go to solution Solved by GloriousPain,

Processor AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Black Edition

Motherboard  Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

GPU Radon HD 6870

1. is it worth upgrading to PC to get the most out of my Motherboard.
  2. what the best GPU i can get for my motherboard.
  3. Whats the Best Cpu i can get for my motherboard.(Intel or AMD) not bothered witch.

IAMWILL 

YT :-  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHBKaAJUyDew6RKVScjI7bA

1. Motherboards are a pain to replace I usually only suggest incase of mobo failure or complete system rebuild...

2. Any GPU standards are pretty backward/forward compatible so yeah anything from a GT210 to a R9295X2 should work :P best I'd recommend in particular would be R9 280 or R9 270(Both Non X) (simply cause Nvidia doesn't have much price/performance wise)

3. Amd mobos only work for amd cpus sir sooo 8150 I believe is the best you can get off of that motherboard which will about double your current cpu power

4. I suggest an SSD as another upgrade

Ps. It's against forum policy to promote your channel that way... just saying im not a mod nor a snitch just figured you'd wanna know if you wish for people to know how to contact you through youtube just add it on your profile under the "contact me section"

Pss. the upgrades I suggest should double cpu performance and close to triple gpu performance you may need a monitor upgrade to reap full reward (I suggest a 1200p <or 1080p if your a stickler for 16:9> monitor after completing the other upgrades)

Psss. hit the check box labeled follow topic when making a topic to follow it automatically to get responses on the forums it's considerably rude not too and if you want make a Signature through options for things you may wind up having to say commonly like alot of people list their pc specs there

My Specs to my PC

Ram  Viper 3 Low Profile Series DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz

GPU Radon HD 6870

Power G7 power extreme 880w

1.5 tb Hard drive 64mb catch

case antec ELEVEN HUNDRED

so what i want to do is upgrade my PC but i don't what to do build a whole new PC. i am trying to get the best out of what got so the things i want to know are 

3. Whats the Best Cpu i can get for my motherboard.(Intel or AMD) not bothered witch.

if you need any more info i will update as soon as possible and thanks in advance.

IAMWILL 

My Specs to my PC

Ram  Viper 3 Low Profile Series DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz

GPU Radon HD 6870

Power G7 power extreme 880w

1.5 tb Hard drive 64mb catch

case antec ELEVEN HUNDRED

so what i want to do is upgrade my PC but i don't what to do build a whole new PC. i am trying to get the best out of what got so the things i want to know are 

if you need any more info i will update as soon as possible and thanks in advance.

IAMWILL 

You have an AMD board so unless you change to a new board you cant use an intel CPU. That being said the best chip you can get for that board is an FX-8350. Your motherboard has no bearing on what GPU's you can use but a good mid range GPU is the R9 270 as you can get one for about $160. An 8350 can be had for about $170 ish but a better choice would be the 8320 as it's much cheaper but almost as fast as the 8350. You could save a bit more on the CPU and get an FX-6300 and get a better GPU like a R9 280 or an R9 280X which would make a bigger difference in games than having a better CPU. 

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

GPU Radon HD 6870

IAMWILL 

1. Motherboards are a pain to replace I usually only suggest incase of mobo failure or complete system rebuild...

2. Any GPU standards are pretty backward/forward compatible so yeah anything from a GT210 to a R9295X2 should work :P best I'd recommend in particular would be R9 280 or R9 270(Both Non X) (simply cause Nvidia doesn't have much price/performance wise)

3. Amd mobos only work for amd cpus sir sooo 8150 I believe is the best you can get off of that motherboard which will about double your current cpu power

Ps. It's against forum policy to promote your channel that way... just saying im not a mod nor a snitch just figured you'd wanna know if you wish for people to know how to contact you through youtube just add it on your profile under the "contact me section"

Pss. the upgrades I suggest should double cpu performance and close to triple gpu performance you may need a monitor upgrade to reap full reward (I suggest a 1200p <or 1080p if your a stickler for 16:9> monitor after completing the other upgrades)

Psss. hit the check box labeled follow topic when making a topic to follow it automatically to get responses on the forums it's considerably rude not too and if you want make a Signature through options for things you may wind up having to say commonly like alot of people list their pc specs there

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

You're line is a little short there. PCIe goes all the way back to at least the Geforce 6800 series (which is 4 years before the GT(S/X) 200 series.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSHuMHbCWo

thanks for all the psssssss's really big help thanks loads 

You're line is a little short there. PCIe goes all the way back to at least the Geforce 6800 series (which is 4 years before the GT(S/X) 200 series.

I didn't include them as I don't find them thesible >.<

thanks for all the psssssss's really big help thanks loads 

You're welcome I just recently had to help a friend who had a similar rig decide his upgrade path (he got the rig from his brother going to college and decided to upgrade it) 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I didn't include them as I don't find them thesible >.<

They actually can be quite thesible if one is scraping cheap cards off ebay (or craigslist) for testing purposes.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

They actually can be quite thesible if one is scraping cheap cards off ebay (or craigslist) for testing purposes.

for actual use not so much and he is looking for UPGRADES. the 200 series is atleast a sidegradeish

for actual use not so much and he is looking for UPGRADES. the 200 series is atleast a sidegradeish

I honestly am not commenting on his questions, there are many answers here already. What I commeted on was your statement that he could use anything from a GT210 to a 295x2, which is not true, if he wanted for whatever reason to use say 2 9800GX2 GPUs, he could and it would fall well outside your GT210 bottom end (and would handily outperform his HD6870 in SLI supporting games.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I honestly am not commenting on his questions, there are many answers here already. What I commeted on was your statement that he could use anything from a GT210 to a 295x2, which is not true, if he wanted for whatever reason to use say 2 9800GX2 GPUs, he could and it would fall well outside your GT210 bottom end (and would handily outperform his HD6870 in SLI supporting games.

Good point but I think I'ma stand by what I had said of a midrange current card is probably best